Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    If she is whimpering, she is in pain. If it is terminal, then you are just prolonging her suffering to make yourself feel better. I think everyone waits too long to put their dogs down and I used to do the same before I realized I what I was doing.

It's always very hard, but I have learned if their quality of life is not good, then it is time.

I don't have kids, my dogs are my kids and I hold them while they are put to sleep.
    2019 Ranger Z185
    veteran

2. Member
    So sorry for your anguish! This is always so hard as they really show what unconditional love really is. You are a great companion and any 'buddy' should be honored to be in your life.

3. Member
    It is the hardest right decision to make. Prayers for the pup and his family.
    Dave

4. Member
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to not only read this but sharing your thoughts.
    Yesterday was an awful day… I made the decision, I couldn’t let her suffer no more. Tonight we grilled her a delicious New York Strip and a side of bacon. She perked up and oh so loved it! She wondered around the back yard, came upstairs and sat in her chair took a nap and snored so loud! She had a glimmer of her old self again. Is the zoleadronate infusion kicking in? Is it finally releasing some pain? These up and down swings rip a guy in pieces. The nights are by far the worst for her and a part of me wants her to not cry at all, and I call off the appointment. But the other part of me wants to know that I’m making the right decision, knowing that to confirm that right decision she will be in pain tonight…. F***…
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

One of the Goldens we have had was right at 17 YO, and when she got where she had no bodily control we made the decision it was time, the last golden we had was only 7 and was (according to the vet 1 - 3 months) and rapidily declining health during that time, have also had several Great Pyrenees that we have had to "let go" and it always sux

Feel for you, one of the hardest things, But do it for your furry Family Member, the times I have had to do it, it was almost like our furry Family member was thanking us for ending the discomfort and letting them cross Rainbow Bridge
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

I would rather a month early than a day late and it always SUCKS

7. Member
    My Lab and Irish Setter both let me know. Both would not even look at me as if they were embarrassed. I was in the room with both when they were put down. They both lived past 12 years, brought both home. I thought after my Setter, I would not get another dog. A few years later my son got the Lab living at home but when he finished College he moved out. Said he was going to have to give the dog away but we were attached, so he became our dog.

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I'm so sorry. It is almost time for my Oliver. Such a terrible decision to have to make. I know I will see all my critters again when my turn comes, but it still is so hard. Prayers for your comfort!!

9. Member
    Lost Toby, my 10 year old Brittney, to cancer. 35 years later I still miss him. Remember the good times and let her have peace. We all know your pain.
    Scott

10. Member
    We had a small mutt, a dog that one of the idiots at worked just dropped at the plant during the ice storm around here in 2009. We took it and made him ours; he was the first dog I'd had in over 25 years, and the first one we'd had since my wife and I married. We had him for 5 years, and then something happened to knock out his kidney function. Vet said I could give him meds for kidney function, feed him special food, and give him a daily IV of fluids to keep him going, and might get several more months with him. She said if it were her, as long as he perks back up and gives all indication of feeling well and playful, do it. So I did that for 3 months, and then he suddenly lost his appetite again, and I could see he was hurting, so I called the vet back and brought him in, and she said she didn't think anything else would help, so I had her put him down while I was holding onto him. Cried like a baby driving home with him still in my lap, and all the while digging his grave. Hated to put him down, but when the extra attention was not going to alleviate any suffering, it was time to let him rest.

11. Member
    Sorry to hear. It is always so difficult.

12. Member
    Thats the worst part about owing a pet you love, watching it get old and die. as far as putting your pet down I would say when its in bad pain more often than not. One thing you dont want to do with your pets is put poison on them to kill fleas, its pretty much a no brainer that when something says dont get it on your skin you shouldn't put it on your pet. it will definitely cause cancer if done enough.

It is so hard to do, but is the right thing.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123