2005 HPDI 175 losing power

Boat wasn’t running right so I took it to the shop and they found cylinders 3 and 5 weren’t getting fuel. Said that the connect with those cylinders to the ecm was corroded. Took the boat out ran fine, then stopped for about an hour and went to run back to the ramp and wouldn’t go over 2000 rpm’s. Took the boat out again the next day and ran like a top all morning tell I hit a boat wake and lost power to about 3200 rpm’s. Cut it off and crunk it back up and wouldn’t go over 2000 rpm’s. Anyone know what the issue could be. Could the injectors be losing power then the computer puts it in limp mode? Any solution?

2. Member
    I'd like to see what the response are to you issue. I have a similar issue. It ran like a top a week ago. On the way back to the launch and it would bog down over when applying throttle over 4,500 rpm. Took it out today and it ran fine until I hit a couple wakes and it started doing the same thing.
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

3. Member
    I've had 2 of these do this and it was the wiring harness on engine. Both of them had a bad spot on starboard side close to where the harness turns at back of engine and goes forward in lower cowling. I could wiggle it and get it to mess up at idle. May not be your problem but worth a shot. These were 2.6L engines.

4. Member
    This is what I suspect the problem to be. How did you end up fixing the issue? Did you buy a whole new wiring harness, if so where did you purchase, and how hard was it to replace?

5. Member
    The harness was no longer available for the ones I had. I removed harness from engine after marking bad spot. Laid on bench and removed a section about 7" long from one wire at a time. Soldered and heat shrank a new section of wire in. I couldn't look and tell which wire was the problem so I done every wire in that small section. Not the easiest repair but I know the owners of both engines and they're still going good years later.

6. Member
    I just went and crunk it up and it ran bad and I wiggle the connectors and wires around and it started running like a top. Then I kept moving them around trying to get it to mess up again to find the bad spot in the wire or connector and couldn’t get it to do it again. I think the issue with mine is the plug. Is there anywhere to buy those connectors with a pig tail on them to replace them?

7. Member
    Not to my knowledge. I have replaced a few from used harness.

8. Member
    No pigtails but connectors can be found. Try Japanese motorcycle shops or www.easternbeaver.com

9. Member
    I took my VST housing apart and found sediment right below the screen filter. Put a new one in and replaced both low pressure pumps right away. My guess is this was my problem and it was blocking my fuel flow. We shall see.
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

10. Member
    I wanted to update this thread even though I'm not the OP. The root cause ended up being a plug wire cap. I was informed that these are fairly common, not the wire itself but the orange cap. They are very sensitive to resistance.