Question Golf Vs Fishing?

I have been a hunter and fisherman all my life it's what it's basically my identity to anyone one that has known me. I started playing golf last year a little and really liked it. This year I played again and liked it so much I joined my local country club which isn't that nice but for $95 a month I get all the golf I want and cart (it's an 18 holer). I have been probably 10 times in the last month and 4 of the last 6 evenings. I suck at it but getting better each time I'm out. I don't care to be good but just hope to not embarrass myself. I've also started playing with a men's group on Wednesday evenings and we play 9 then have dinner and drinks afterwards. I've met some really fun and awesome people doing that so far to. I used to think the golf community was snooty and fisherman friendly. Now I think just the opposite almost. Fishing has gotten so cut throat and competitive and nasty to each other then I go to this country club and there are some of the most laid back and friendly people I have ever met. I'm finding when I have a free evening it's easier to grab the clubs and run and play 18 while listening to music and chilling then it is to hook the boat up go to the lake fish, drive back home unload everything etc. Also when I leave the golf course all the way home I'm thinking about when I can go next. It's a weird feeling picking golf over fishing but right now that's what is happening. Anyone else had this happen or run into this? Maybe because it's new to me I don't know. I played basketball in highschool and enjoyed being athletic and played at the church till I ruptured my achilles so no more bball but as we get older it's still fun to find a sport and something a little competitive or something to push you to be better at? Maybe that's it? Anyway thanks for listening :)

In the same boat as you. Me and my best friend play every weekend except when I have a fishing tourney once a month. It is way easier to throw the clubs in the truck and go golfing. We usually tee off by 7 and I'm home by noon and like you when it's over it sucks because all I can think of is I have to work a whole week before I can get back out here and hit it around. I used to fish a lot more but it's turned into a pain with the boat and all. It usually turns into a whole day deal, plus when it's hotter than heck like now it's hard to go fishing. I've been contemplating selling my boat, which I can still go fishing with my tourney partner, but then I'm afraid there may be times when I want to go or take my son & daughter and not have a boat. Plus, the way things are going now if I sell it I may not be able to find another to buy. If you play every week you can tell by your scores. I averaged 85 on my phone app and FINALLY shot a 79 & 76. It's an awesome sport and fun to play. I have my kids playing now too and we hit the range when we can. It is a tough decision to make. Luckily for now I can still do both. Another thing that pulls at me is if I was to sell my boat, where it sits in the garage would be a perfect place to set up a net, chipping mat and my putting mat so I could hit balls whenever I wanted. Tough decision for sure!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrochad View Post
    In the same boat as you. Me and my best friend play every weekend except when I have a fishing tourney once a month. It is way easier to throw the clubs in the truck and go golfing. We usually tee off by 7 and I'm home by noon and like you when it's over it sucks because all I can think of is I have to work a whole week before I can get back out here and hit it around. I used to fish a lot more but it's turned into a pain with the boat and all. It usually turns into a whole day deal, plus when it's hotter than heck like now it's hard to go fishing. I've been contemplating selling my boat, which I can still go fishing with my tourney partner, but then I'm afraid there may be times when I want to go or take my son & daughter and not have a boat. Plus, the way things are going now if I sell it I may not be able to find another to buy. If you play every week you can tell by your scores. I averaged 85 on my phone app and FINALLY shot a 79 & 76. It's an awesome sport and fun to play. I have my kids playing now too and we hit the range when we can. It is a tough decision to make. Luckily for now I can still do both. Another thing that pulls at me is if I was to sell my boat, where it sits in the garage would be a perfect place to set up a net, chipping mat and my putting mat so I could hit balls whenever I wanted. Tough decision for sure!
    You are so right on almost all of that! I can throw the bag in and run over and play 9 or 18 and be home in a few hours and relaxed and happy. The boat is sort of a hassle or event if you will and the gas is expensive etc. The golf I can do if it's hot, cold or windy etc. I couldn't tell if it was just a "new" thing so I was all into it or if it's really that fun. And look, i suck at it bad and I'm still having fun. My goal right now is to play double bogey golf and I'm not there yet. Some holes I'm par golf and alot of holes I'm "sucks azz" golf :) And I still love the challenge of it all.

Yep. I used to wish I could play bogey golf now it ticks me off if I do. You always think about the shots you left out there on the course and what you could have shot. Guess what there’s always next week. It’s an awesome fun game and you can get caught up in all the new putters & drivers that come out and are better than sliced bread or last years model. Sound familiar? I don’t get all into that. Once I got all my clubs & driver I wanted I stick to those but I do get them regripped on the reg and I do play around with golf balls trying to decide which to stick with.

5. Member
    I bought a set of Strata which are I think like Callaways entry level clubs last year. So far they have been nice to play with and get me around as needed. If I continue to get into it I'll be looking for a better set and probably get them fitted I'm guessing.

6. Member
    Till the grass turns green on the fairways-I have chosen to fish. That gives me November-May before Bermuda grass turns green. I get a few rounds in during those months just to keep the rust off and the wife happy. We usually plan a winter trip to a warm clime to play some golf. Next year is Maui with some friends who have a killer house rented cheap.
    May - October is golf season, with a dove opener and usually a trout trip to Montana in late September.
    I love golf, hunting and fishing. All of it is outdoors which is where I want to be.

7. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I've been doing both pretty much since I was 5 years old. I've spent the last 22 years teaching golf but I still fish a lot as well. I couldn't breathe without either. LOL

8. Fishing is a Passion
    Being retired changes things. I play golf with the same group 20-24 players Tues, Wed and Friday. Club or open bass fishing Sat and Sunday. On the occasion I will practice on the water Friday if needed.

If you have never had a lesson I suggest doing this. Getting the hands set correctly will make the game way more enjoyable. As in anything else, the more practice the better you will get.

Have fun and hit them straight
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

9. Member
    I enjoy both golf and fishing. When Im playing a poor round I'm wondering if the fish are biting. When the fish aren't bitting I'm wondering how my golf game would be that day. Being retired I don't golf or fish on Sat or Sun. I leave the course and lakes for the working class. Saturday is good for working on the honey do list and Sunday is Church. The good Lord has blessed me with decent health so get to do both.

10. Member
    Golf way more than fish anymore. It's much easier to put my clubs on the cart vs putting the boat in the water.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

11. Member
    I've fished for 50+ years, bought my first boat in 1991, and have golfed for 30 years. I always say I love fishing and am obsessed with golf. Most golfers, low and high handicappers, always lament over the shot they hit poorly. There's nothing better than being on a glassy body of water as the sun rises, except the same thing with a fish on.

12. Member
    I fish February through June. Then when it gets hot I golf July and august. September is hunting time.
    RANGER BOATS

13. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have swapped back and forth which was my top hobby for 40 years. Leaning back towards golf again myself.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!