Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fuel gauge!?!?!?!,

So how many here have had problems and who and what do we need to do to get caymas to address the problem? My dealer has replaced mine twice and the recalibration numerous times as well. It just doesn't work! Surely someone here has a connection with Caymas?

There's a guy on this Facebook group who replaced it with a stand alone gauge https://www.facebook.com/groups/caymasboats.

Not what you want to do after you spend you hard earned $$$ on a boat.

I haven't taken delivery on my boat yet but it is something I'll check before I do.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    There's a guy on this Facebook group who replaced it with a stand alone gauge https://www.facebook.com/groups/caymasboats.

Not what you want to do after you spend you hard earned $$$ on a boat.

I haven't taken delivery on my boat yet but it is something I'll check before I do.
    That was me. It was actually very easy to do. Hell, my previous skeeter zxr20 didn't even have an hour meter on it. I think the fuel gauge was an easier install. LOL!. I just feel more comfortable with an actual gauge versus the digital gauge. The digital gauge is just taking the reading from the sending unit and calculating a percentage (not very well). The analog gauge takes the same signal straight off the sender without any calculating.

Every boat will have issues. I've had a bunch of boats and they all have things that can be improved on or installed/customized. It's just part of owning a boat.

4. Member
    It will work at first and occasionally after that.

Lots of talk about this topic for sure but I’ve been very fortunate that mine has continued to work like it’s designed to do.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caymas ProXS View Post
    Lots of talk about this topic for sure but I’ve been very fortunate that mine has continued to work like it’s designed to do.
    I am with you, so far mine has worked fine, i will say this its next impossible to get one to read 100% accurate. I know for a fact Ranger has problems with theirs reading empty when it still had 15 gallons left and we tried to adjust them until we were blue in the face, i am sure they will try and get it closer.

7. Member
    I did not attempt to get the dealer to fix it, due to the 100 mile distance and other owners with a similar problem. By the time I towed it over, dropped it off, picked it up and drove home, I would have spent several hours and many fuel dollars for a maybe fix.

I bought the Vessel View Mobile to fix it once and be done. For those that have had fuel gauge problems, I have yet to hear of one that was resolved by replacement, recalibration or anything else at the dealer. This is kind of a dead horse, but I am trying to help.

8. Member
    I am leaning towards the vessel view. Just sucks to spend that kind of money for something that doesn't work. My dealer has bent over backwards to resolve the problem but its just junk I guess.

9. Member
    I've never had a bass boat with a working, reliable fuel gauge and I've had quiet a few different brands. I just keep mine topped off and don't worry about it!!

10. Member
    I have had a couple that was accurate and a couple that was inaccurate but you could always tell what you had once you learned how it read. This thing is all over the chart! Absolutely won't read the same way twice. Complete trash!

11. Member
    I've sent a message to Caymas, with my findings during my fuel gauge install. I've offered to help them with any testing as well. I received a reply that my info was sent to engineering...

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2822 View Post
    I've never had a bass boat with a working, reliable fuel gauge and I've had quiet a few different brands. I just keep mine topped off and don't worry about it!!
    This^^^

13. Member
    I understand the need for a good fuel gauge and mine does suck. I run far for tournaments often and knowing how much gas I have saves me time I might spend refueling. If there was a good fix I would install it. My gauge works kind of. I have to burn 5-10ish gallons for it to read anything less than 100% and then It reads north of 50% for too long, and below 40% it drops like a rock. Mine has said 3% when I had 3 gallons left, and when I had 7 gallons left on consecutive days.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    I understand the need for a good fuel gauge and mine does suck. I run far for tournaments often and knowing how much gas I have saves me time I might spend refueling. If there was a good fix I would install it. My gauge works kind of. I have to burn 5-10ish gallons for it to read anything less than 100% and then It reads north of 50% for too long, and below 40% it drops like a rock. Mine has said 3% when I had 3 gallons left, and when I had 7 gallons left on consecutive days.
    If i was still tournament fishing and making those 90 miles one way runs i would put a Smart Craft Gauge to keep up with the amount of gas that i use, they are spot on. The way i fish its no real big deal, i just throw in 15-20 gallons at a time.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    If i was still tournament fishing and making those 90 miles one way runs i would put a Smart Craft Gauge to keep up with the amount of gas that i use, they are spot on. The way i fish its no real big deal, i just throw in 15-20 gallons at a time.
    I agree, I just installed the Mercury Vessel View mobile. Easy/cheap way to see how much fuel I am burning.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    Agreed, its on the to do list, along with the water pressure sender for my merc, and linking it all to my NMEA system for gauges on my graphs.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    I agree, I just installed the Mercury Vessel View mobile. Easy/cheap way to see how much fuel I am burning.

Has anyone taken out the caymas gauge and replaced with vessel view or figured out how to do that?

18. Member
    I have Vessel View but at the time of installation they did not have the wire / cable that would allow my fuel gauge to be on my Lowrance graph, it finally just came in a couple weeks ago, have not had time to bring the boat in to get it installed.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkwillis1 View Post
    Has anyone taken out the caymas gauge and replaced with vessel view or figured out how to do that?
    That would be fairly easy to do. I believe it all runs on information it gets from NEMA connection from the engine (except fuel, it comes from the pink wire directly off the fuel sender and tries to make it digital). So any NEMA 2000 gauge should work.

20. Member
    Looking for an update from folks that have added the stand alone fuel gage, or someone who replaced the Caymas gage with a Smartcraft gage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast