Thread: Taking on water

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Angry Taking on water

Auto bilge came on 5 times today in 4 hours on the water. Pumped probably half gallon out, then I’d turn on the manual bilge for another half gallon.
    Any thoughts? How do i check the seal on the remote plug?
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

2. Member
    Look for crack on hull imo

3. Member
    I would check the plug, just put in the water and watch

4. Member
    With the boat on the trailer put a garden hose in the bilge and fill it up enough to come up to the bilge pumps and all of the under water through hull fittings and drain plug "only a few inches of water at most" and see if any water leaks back out onto the ground.

5. Member
    I had this problem. The remote plug needs lubrication to seat fully. I use a silicone based seal as oil based leaves a slick behind the boat.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

6. Member
    Yes, the remote plug requires lubrication as ozone will dry out the rubber seal. I use this food grade pure silicon grease since it's the same stuff I use for my SCUBA gear, and I just added this task to my monthly maintenance list for both my bass boats. The 2oz jar will last you pretty much forever as you want to use it sparingly.

Please have a great day!

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

7. Member
    Were the livewells full with recirc running by chance? I have had this happen in another boat and it was because of a crack in the recirc lines of the livewell. Just a thought.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jluigs View Post
    Were the livewells full with recirc running by chance? I have had this happen in another boat and it was because of a crack in the recirc lines of the livewell. Just a thought.

No sir.
    I actually had a tournament 6/25 where I did run the live wells all day without issue. The bilge came on once that day. Yesterday, I never even filled the live wells.
    I’m praying it’s the plug and will get some of that lube. I’ll try the water hose trick also.

9. Member
    I feel like if there was a cracked hull It would have been coming in quicker?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    No sir.
    I actually had a tournament 6/25 where I did run the live wells all day without issue. The bilge came on once that day. Yesterday, I never even filled the live wells.
    I’m praying it’s the plug and will get some of that lube. I’ll try the water hose trick also.
    After you apply the silicon grease, you can check for water tightness with the garden hose. I did this same routine after realizing the issue was the dried rubber seal on the remote drain plug and now it is a part of my monthly maintenance cycle to test for water tightness of the remote drain plug along with the other multitude of maintenance items that allow me that have peace of mind while towing, launching, fishing, and retrieving both my bass boats during a day of fishing away from my cabin lake.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

11. Member
    Just got the grease ordered.

12. Member
    What other monthly maintenance things do you do, sir?

13. Member
    What other monthly maintenance things do you do, sir?
    I have severe OCD, so my list is quite extensive but here are the monthly maintenance tasks that I never skip along with my daily pre-fishing trip check list. I keep all of these lists on my iPhone 13 as Notes checklists so it's easy to follow and complete each task and repeat each month.

Toyota Tundra/Tacoma/Sequoia Tow Vehicle Maintenance List
    1. Check wheel stud torque specifications (100ft # for aluminum allow wheels)
    2. Check TRD rear sway bar torque specifications (46ft & 95ft #)
    3. Check tow hitch and receiver for torque specification & condition of hitch (address as needed)
    4. Check battery status for all Dewalt primary and secondary 20V 5Ah batteries for Dewalt DCF899B and DCF894B 1/2" Impact Wrench (4 total)
    5. Check battery status for NOCO GB70 jump starter
    6. Check status of 1/2" breaker bars (30" & 18")

1. Check status of 4-ton bottle jack for tow vehicle
    2. Check status of 2-ton compact floor jack for boat trailer
    3. Check status of all hand tools
    4. Check status of spare boat winch and safety strap
    5. Check status of spare boat transom straps
    6. Check status of wheel chocks (four for tow vehicle and two for boat trailer)
    7. Check status of recovery straps/chains, shackles, D-rings, and hooks
    8. Check status of miscellaneous bungie cords, Nite Ize twist ties, spare rope, heavy duty zip ties, and rachet straps
    9. Check status of secondary and tertiary 7-way round to 5-way flat trailer connector via test process

Vexus Bass Boat Monthly Maintenace List
    1. Wash boat and trailer
    2. Unlatch and remove cowling on Mercury outboard
    3. Check oil level of Mercury outboard
    4. Perform walk around of the Mercury outboard checking for any loose connections, leaks, etc.
    5. Check sacrificial anode on Mercury outboard
    6. Remove propeller and check for fishing line on prop shaft and ensure all prop shaft splines are in good condition, re-install propeller and hub
    7. Re-latch cowling on Mercury outboard and ensure water tightness
    8. Attach "ear muffs" and check water cooling system on Mercury outboards
    9. Check grease fittings and grease all Mercury outboard grease fittings (KH150 Full Synthetic grease)
    10. Check proper operation of kill switch for Mercury outboard
    11. Check status of boat trailer winch, safety, and transom straps (replace as needed)
    12. Check trailer wheel stud torque specification for Vexus trailer (100ft #)
    13. Check jack plate torque specifications (90ft #)
    14. Check transom bolt torque specification (80ft #)
    15. Check tightness of SeaStar hydraulic steering hardware
    16. Check tightness of all Ghost mounting hardware
    17. Check tightness of all HDS Live mounting hardware
    18. Check for software updates for all Lowrance products
    19. Check tightness of all battery, battery tray and battery charger bolts/screws
    20. Lubricate and check water tightness of remote bilge drain plug, ensure bilge pumps are operational
    21. Check status of NOCO GB70 jump starter
    22. Check status of hand tools on boat including propeller hub wrench
    23. Check status of spare propeller & hub
    24. Check and maintain 5BC fire extinguisher (2 total)
    25. Check status of PLB and strobe/rescue light
    26. Check status of boat survival kit
    27. Check first aid kit and replace items as needed (Adventure Weekender kit)
    28. Check status of Surefire flashlights and CR123A batteries (cycle and cascade batteries annually)
    29. Check status of landing net
    30. Check status of release tools (test Knipex hook cutters)
    31. Check and inventory fishing tackle boxes (24 total)
    32. Check rods/reels for damage (28 total)

Daily Pre-Fishing Trip Check List
    1. Check oil level of tow vehicle and ensure engine starts and functions as expected
    2. Check trailer winch, safety, and transom straps for proper tightness/engagement
    3. Check boat battery status with Ionic BT app
    4. Check tow vehicle and boat trailer tire pressure, including spare tires for both
    5. Check tow vehicle and boat tire temperature after brief period of towing
    6. Check all HDS Live MFDs turn on and screens are functional along with GPS
    7. Check Ghost trolling motor turns on and functions
    8. Check outboard transom support and steering stops
    9. Check primary boat mooring lines (3 total)
    10. Check secondary boat mooring lines (3 total)
    11. Check status of landing net
    12. Check Yeti cooler status
    13. Check trailer lights are functional
    14. Perform final walk around of both tow vehicle and boat trailer

Please have a great day!

14. Member
    I have had this issue from day one with my drain plug. The newer models have since moved the drain plug lever to the rear of the boat, mine is by my throttle. When I close the plug, even with silicone grease, it doesn't seal completely. So all I do is walk to the back of the boat and push it all the way in. Simple fix, just can't forget to that. :)
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou22 View Post
    I have had this issue from day one with my drain plug. The newer models have since moved the drain plug lever to the rear of the boat, mine is by my throttle. When I close the plug, even with silicone grease, it doesn't seal completely. So all I do is walk to the back of the boat and push it all the way in. Simple fix, just can't forget to that. :)
    I'm glad they changed it to having the remote drain plug to the back on the 2021 models then sir.

After seeing how useful this feature was, I had a local boat rigging shop retrofit this feature into my 2001 Ranger 522 last spring and it's so nice not having to get down and crawl under the 15" V-pad to get to the drain plug on the rear of the aircraft carrier the last two fishing seasons!

Please have a great day!

16. Member
    Weird thing is that before my fishing trip yesterday, because the bilge kicked on once during my tournament Saturday, I DID reach down and push the plug in to make sure It was seated. Then the bilge kicked on 5 times in 4 hours.

It was not lubed though so hopefully that’s all It needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbless View Post
    With the boat on the trailer put a garden hose in the bilge and fill it up enough to come up to the bilge pumps and all of the under water through hull fittings and drain plug "only a few inches of water at most" and see if any water leaks back out onto the ground.
    This is how it’s done.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

18. Member
    Weird thing is that before my fishing trip yesterday, because the bilge kicked on once during my tournament Saturday, I DID reach down and push the plug in to make sure It was seated. Then the bilge kicked on 5 times in 4 hours.

It was not lubed though so hopefully that’s all It needs.
    For whats its worth. I've had my boat since Aug 2019 and I've never lubes the o-ring and my bilge has never come on. My time on the water is typically 4-5 hours max tho.

19. Member
    I just recently had my 2021 1980 hull replaced by vexus due to multiple cracks in the hull.
    Hopefully it is the drain plug and not your hull but I would still crawl under your boat and inspect the hull very carefully. I ended up finding 2 different hairline cracks in the welds in the center of the hull forward of the cockpit and then 2 more cracks in the seams of the chines also forward of the cockpit.
    My bilge was running every 5 minutes before I found the cracks.
    For the record Vexus went above and beyond to make things right and the new hull is great.

20. Member
    Update:

Put plug in without lubrucating just to check. Jacked front of boat up as high as It would go. Filled up bilge area with water hose until the auto bilge came on. Side note, auto bilge comes on even with battery shut of switch engaged.

No water leaking anywhere. Definitely not coming out if the plug.

Filled up live wells just for the heck of It. No leaks. Holding water steady.

About to crawl up under the boat and look for cracks.

If I don’t see anything I’m going to go put the boat in the water in the morning and watch the bilge area.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast