Thread: Taking on water

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    FYI, boat been at the dealership 6 days. When I dropped It off I was told they “had this down to a science” and everything would be quick. Called them and they haven’t even looked at It yet.
    It was a holiday week.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    It was a holiday week.
    I work just down the road from his dealer. They were open most of last week.

3. Member
    They don’t need to fix anything. They just need to get pictures to Vexus to start the warranty. Maybe that’s more work than It sounds like. I know they are probably busy.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

4. Member
    FYI, boat been at the dealership 6 days. When I dropped It off I was told they “had this down to a science” and everything would be quick. Called them and they haven’t even looked at It yet.
    Just don't get it.....dealership sells you a boat.....not an inexpensive boat either......manufacturing defect or poor engineering and the hull cracks......obviously they know this as does Vexus.....you would think the dealer would jump through a fiery hoola hoop to get the process to replace the hull started asap.....instead they sit on it for a week.....has to be arrogance created by unprecedented boat sales over the last 2+ years, I guess anyway.....it's not like you're not going to mention to other boat owners/fisherman about the situation.....at some point in time the boat business bubble WILL burst and they're going to need loyal customers to keep the doors open.....

I sure hope it all gets straightened out for you and things smooth out...

Good luck with your issue Cbump. I know I would be pissed if I spend $50,000 on a new boat and had this happened.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 07-10-2022 at 07:21 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Just don't get it.....dealership sells you a boat.....not an inexpensive boat either......manufacturing defect or poor engineering and the hull cracks......obviously they know this as does Vexus.....you would think the dealer would jump through a fiery hoola hoop to get the process to replace the hull started asap.....instead they sit on it for a week.....has to be arrogance created by unprecedented boat sales over the last 2+ years, I guess anyway.....it's not like you're not going to mention to other boat owners/fisherman about the situation.....at some point in time the boat business bubble WILL burst and they're going to need loyal customers to keep the doors open.....

I sure hope it all gets straightened out for you and things smooth out...

Very well said!

7. Member
    This is the same dealership that I dropped my boat off for a yearly service and detail/wax. When I picked It up my bill was $750+. I was like wtf?!! They said the detail was $450. I said how is this possible? Guy tells me the detail guy is the best.

We go outside and I literally can’t tell that it’s been detailed. Slight scum line still visible from last time I was out in It. Water spots from lake spray everywhere. Leaves from my own house still inside. The boat was sitting outside and covered in pollen. I told them they are crazy if they tell me this boat was detailed. I asked them how I can get my car spotlessly detailed inside and out from the local Chevy place for $100 and this guy charges $450 even if It was done. I got my money back on that one.

Oh by the way, they had It a month that time.

Fyi, my sales guy was/is great. Service department not so much so far.

8. Member
    This is the same dealership that I dropped my boat off for a yearly service and detail/wax. When I picked It up my bill was $750+. I was like wtf?!! They said the detail was $450. I said how is this possible? Guy tells me the detail guy is the best.

We go outside and I literally can’t tell that it’s been detailed. Slight scum line still visible from last time I was out in It. Water spots from lake spray everywhere. Leaves from my own house still inside. The boat was sitting outside and covered in pollen. I told them they are crazy if they tell me this boat was detailed. I asked them how I can get my car spotlessly detailed inside and out from the local Chevy place for $100 and this guy charges $450 even if It was done. I got my money back on that one.

Oh by the way, they had It a month that time.

Fyi, my sales guy was/is great. Service department not so much so far.
    Amazing.....

Sounds like this dealer believes in "quantity trumps quality"...."marketing trumps loyalty".... Piss one off and lose em, but replace with 2 naive others.....

I'd give him/them a few more days then I'd contact vexus.....If they ignore you my next call would be to my attorney. Most of the time ONE registered letter solves these type scenarios. Sadly, it seems the threat of litigation is often necessary to get some to do the right thing.

9. Member
    Good news. Got an email from Vexus this morning saying they received what they need from my dealer and they will be replacing the hull.

10. Member
    Good news! Hope you take delivery soon!

11. Member
    [QUOTE=Cbump;12577388]Good news. Got an email from Vexus this morning saying they received what they need from my dealer and they will be replacing the hull

👏👏👏👏

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    I have severe OCD, so my list is quite extensive but here are the monthly maintenance tasks that I never skip along with my daily pre-fishing trip check list. I keep all of these lists on my iPhone 13 as Notes checklists so it's easy to follow and complete each task and repeat each month.

Toyota Tundra/Tacoma/Sequoia Tow Vehicle Maintenance List
    1. Check wheel stud torque specifications (100ft # for aluminum allow wheels)
    2. Check TRD rear sway bar torque specifications (46ft & 95ft #)
    3. Check tow hitch and receiver for torque specification & condition of hitch (address as needed)
    4. Check battery status for all Dewalt primary and secondary 20V 5Ah batteries for Dewalt DCF899B and DCF894B 1/2" Impact Wrench (4 total)
    5. Check battery status for NOCO GB70 jump starter
    6. Check status of 1/2" breaker bars (30" & 18")

1. Check status of 4-ton bottle jack for tow vehicle
    2. Check status of 2-ton compact floor jack for boat trailer
    3. Check status of all hand tools
    4. Check status of spare boat winch and safety strap
    5. Check status of spare boat transom straps
    6. Check status of wheel chocks (four for tow vehicle and two for boat trailer)
    7. Check status of recovery straps/chains, shackles, D-rings, and hooks
    8. Check status of miscellaneous bungie cords, Nite Ize twist ties, spare rope, heavy duty zip ties, and rachet straps
    9. Check status of secondary and tertiary 7-way round to 5-way flat trailer connector via test process

Vexus Bass Boat Monthly Maintenace List
    1. Wash boat and trailer
    2. Unlatch and remove cowling on Mercury outboard
    3. Check oil level of Mercury outboard
    4. Perform walk around of the Mercury outboard checking for any loose connections, leaks, etc.
    5. Check sacrificial anode on Mercury outboard
    6. Remove propeller and check for fishing line on prop shaft and ensure all prop shaft splines are in good condition, re-install propeller and hub
    7. Re-latch cowling on Mercury outboard and ensure water tightness
    8. Attach "ear muffs" and check water cooling system on Mercury outboards
    9. Check grease fittings and grease all Mercury outboard grease fittings (KH150 Full Synthetic grease)
    10. Check proper operation of kill switch for Mercury outboard
    11. Check status of boat trailer winch, safety, and transom straps (replace as needed)
    12. Check trailer wheel stud torque specification for Vexus trailer (100ft #)
    13. Check jack plate torque specifications (90ft #)
    14. Check transom bolt torque specification (80ft #)
    15. Check tightness of SeaStar hydraulic steering hardware
    16. Check tightness of all Ghost mounting hardware
    17. Check tightness of all HDS Live mounting hardware
    18. Check for software updates for all Lowrance products
    19. Check tightness of all battery, battery tray and battery charger bolts/screws
    20. Lubricate and check water tightness of remote bilge drain plug, ensure bilge pumps are operational
    21. Check status of NOCO GB70 jump starter
    22. Check status of hand tools on boat including propeller hub wrench
    23. Check status of spare propeller & hub
    24. Check and maintain 5BC fire extinguisher (2 total)
    25. Check status of PLB and strobe/rescue light
    26. Check status of boat survival kit
    27. Check first aid kit and replace items as needed (Adventure Weekender kit)
    28. Check status of Surefire flashlights and CR123A batteries (cycle and cascade batteries annually)
    29. Check status of landing net
    30. Check status of release tools (test Knipex hook cutters)
    31. Check and inventory fishing tackle boxes (24 total)
    32. Check rods/reels for damage (28 total)

Daily Pre-Fishing Trip Check List
    1. Check oil level of tow vehicle and ensure engine starts and functions as expected
    2. Check trailer winch, safety, and transom straps for proper tightness/engagement
    3. Check boat battery status with Ionic BT app
    4. Check tow vehicle and boat trailer tire pressure, including spare tires for both
    5. Check tow vehicle and boat tire temperature after brief period of towing
    6. Check all HDS Live MFDs turn on and screens are functional along with GPS
    7. Check Ghost trolling motor turns on and functions
    8. Check outboard transom support and steering stops
    9. Check primary boat mooring lines (3 total)
    10. Check secondary boat mooring lines (3 total)
    11. Check status of landing net
    12. Check Yeti cooler status
    13. Check trailer lights are functional
    14. Perform final walk around of both tow vehicle and boat trailer

Please have a great day!
    That is quite a checklist, I think I will use this for my every other year checklist. When do you find time to work or fish?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

13. Member
    Just picked up the boat all patched up. Now waiting on the new one to be built. Dealer said probably a month to 6 weeks for Vexus to contact them.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    That is quite a checklist, I think I will use this for my every other year checklist. When do you find time to work or fish?
    Did I mention I have severe OCD issues?

It's actually not too bad to work through the checklists on my iPhone 13 and once you get into the routine, it's fairly straight forward unless you have to remediate an issue or something.

It's well worth it for me to take a couple of hours every 3rd Sunday afternoon to not be stuck on the side of a busy highway or in the middle of nowhere without any recourse for something that I could have addressed via a little bit of preventative maintenance.

And the true reason I have all the time to perform these preventative maintenance checklists and still fish for smallmouth bass is I'm retired!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    I have severe OCD, so my list is quite extensive but here are the monthly maintenance tasks that I never skip along with my daily pre-fishing trip check list. I keep all of these lists on my iPhone 13 as Notes checklists so it's easy to follow and complete each task and repeat each month.

Toyota Tundra/Tacoma/Sequoia Tow Vehicle Maintenance List
    1. Check wheel stud torque specifications (100ft # for aluminum allow wheels)
    2. Check TRD rear sway bar torque specifications (46ft & 95ft #)
    3. Check tow hitch and receiver for torque specification & condition of hitch (address as needed)
    4. Check battery status for all Dewalt primary and secondary 20V 5Ah batteries for Dewalt DCF899B and DCF894B 1/2" Impact Wrench (4 total)
    5. Check battery status for NOCO GB70 jump starter
    6. Check status of 1/2" breaker bars (30" & 18")

1. Check status of 4-ton bottle jack for tow vehicle
    2. Check status of 2-ton compact floor jack for boat trailer
    3. Check status of all hand tools
    4. Check status of spare boat winch and safety strap
    5. Check status of spare boat transom straps
    6. Check status of wheel chocks (four for tow vehicle and two for boat trailer)
    7. Check status of recovery straps/chains, shackles, D-rings, and hooks
    8. Check status of miscellaneous bungie cords, Nite Ize twist ties, spare rope, heavy duty zip ties, and rachet straps
    9. Check status of secondary and tertiary 7-way round to 5-way flat trailer connector via test process

Vexus Bass Boat Monthly Maintenace List
    1. Wash boat and trailer
    2. Unlatch and remove cowling on Mercury outboard
    3. Check oil level of Mercury outboard
    4. Perform walk around of the Mercury outboard checking for any loose connections, leaks, etc.
    5. Check sacrificial anode on Mercury outboard
    6. Remove propeller and check for fishing line on prop shaft and ensure all prop shaft splines are in good condition, re-install propeller and hub
    7. Re-latch cowling on Mercury outboard and ensure water tightness
    8. Attach "ear muffs" and check water cooling system on Mercury outboards
    9. Check grease fittings and grease all Mercury outboard grease fittings (KH150 Full Synthetic grease)
    10. Check proper operation of kill switch for Mercury outboard
    11. Check status of boat trailer winch, safety, and transom straps (replace as needed)
    12. Check trailer wheel stud torque specification for Vexus trailer (100ft #)
    13. Check jack plate torque specifications (90ft #)
    14. Check transom bolt torque specification (80ft #)
    15. Check tightness of SeaStar hydraulic steering hardware
    16. Check tightness of all Ghost mounting hardware
    17. Check tightness of all HDS Live mounting hardware
    18. Check for software updates for all Lowrance products
    19. Check tightness of all battery, battery tray and battery charger bolts/screws
    20. Lubricate and check water tightness of remote bilge drain plug, ensure bilge pumps are operational
    21. Check status of NOCO GB70 jump starter
    22. Check status of hand tools on boat including propeller hub wrench
    23. Check status of spare propeller & hub
    24. Check and maintain 5BC fire extinguisher (2 total)
    25. Check status of PLB and strobe/rescue light
    26. Check status of boat survival kit
    27. Check first aid kit and replace items as needed (Adventure Weekender kit)
    28. Check status of Surefire flashlights and CR123A batteries (cycle and cascade batteries annually)
    29. Check status of landing net
    30. Check status of release tools (test Knipex hook cutters)
    31. Check and inventory fishing tackle boxes (24 total)
    32. Check rods/reels for damage (28 total)

Daily Pre-Fishing Trip Check List
    1. Check oil level of tow vehicle and ensure engine starts and functions as expected
    2. Check trailer winch, safety, and transom straps for proper tightness/engagement
    3. Check boat battery status with Ionic BT app
    4. Check tow vehicle and boat trailer tire pressure, including spare tires for both
    5. Check tow vehicle and boat tire temperature after brief period of towing
    6. Check all HDS Live MFDs turn on and screens are functional along with GPS
    7. Check Ghost trolling motor turns on and functions
    8. Check outboard transom support and steering stops
    9. Check primary boat mooring lines (3 total)
    10. Check secondary boat mooring lines (3 total)
    11. Check status of landing net
    12. Check Yeti cooler status
    13. Check trailer lights are functional
    14. Perform final walk around of both tow vehicle and boat trailer

Please have a great day!
    The lists are great. Using "tertiary" in the list is over the top.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

16. Member

17. Member
    Happy 1,000th Post!
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    Happy 1,000th Post!
    Congratulations on the 1,000th post and that the patch is holding until your new boat arrives sir!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    The lists are great. Using "tertiary" in the list is over the top.
    I do have severe OCD and I have a B.A. Degree in English so I'm highly redundant and proud of it.

20. Member
    Thanks amigos!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast