Thread: Hull blisters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hull blisters

Is the 08 year a bad year for hull blisters?

2. Banned
    Never heard that

There will be a period they are more susceptible after 2003 model year through 2015, though it is not a common problem. BCB 2003 and prior was the only bass boat with Vinyl Ester starting in 1998, then in varying levels prior and after 2003. And Pure Vinyl Ester again on Premium models on MY 2015.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    There will be a period they are more susceptible after 2003 model year through 2015, though it is not a common problem. BCB 2003 and prior was the only bass boat with Vinyl Ester starting in 1998, then in varying levels prior and after 2003. And Pure Vinyl Ester again on Premium models on MY 2015.
    I call B.S. on the "though it is not a common problem" Every Puma in the 07-08 yr model that i have seen, hull looks like chicken pocks. Will be more than glad to send you pictures of mine.

5. Member
    This was a problem with Rangers as well in that era. I had a 06/519 purchased new and sold in 2020 to purchase my Caracal. My 519 never developed blisters during my ownership. I believe that my storage setup contributed to keep them off my hull under the bunks. I store in a shop with a dehumidifier and ceiling fans to dry the bunks after use. Also most of my fishing is at least a four hour drive from home. This also drys bunks quickly. States with high humidity and outdoor storage and short trips to ramps don’t allow adequate drying. Just my opinion after following this issue since becoming a member and personal experience. If I were considering a used rig to buy a hull inspection under the bunks would be a must. Big money for a glass shop to repair that type of damage.
    Last edited by WjColdWater; 06-16-2022 at 09:01 AM.

6. Member
    I've got an 08 Puma with no blisters so far.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    I call B.S. on the "though it is not a common problem" Every Puma in the 07-08 yr model that i have seen, hull looks like chicken pocks. Will be more than glad to send you pictures of mine.
    Probably not hard to find a buyer if it bothers you that bad.

8. Member
    Just to confirm, pure Vinyl Ester resin is used on all premium models as of 2015 to present?

Quote Originally Posted by PushinWeightBaits View Post
    Just to confirm, pure Vinyl Ester resin is used on all premium models as of 2015 to present?
    MODEL YEAR 2015 to present.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

How many have you seen? What are the conditions of storage of your boat? I would love to see pictures, not because I think you are being dishonest, but to educate us on what they look like. Those were years when Ranger, Triton and others had major issues with them. They are repairable. Anyone know if they would fall under an insurance claim?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    How many have you seen? What are the conditions of storage of your boat? I would love to see pictures, not because I think you are being dishonest, but to educate us on what they look like. Those were years when Ranger, Triton and others had major issues with them. They are repairable. Anyone know if they would fall under an insurance claim?
    Good question. Never heard of anyone trying to claim that repair.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiggerjcfII View Post
    Probably not hard to find a buyer if it bothers you that bad.
    I didn't say one thing about bothering me. I called BS on the "though not a common problem" portion of the comment.

13. Member
    Here is a thread on the Ranger board showing pics of blisters.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1025712

It is not a common problem on most of our product and is more isolated to the knowledge we have on our boats. That's not "B__" because yours happens to have it. We recognize that even todays could develop it while we both Vinyl Ester Barrier Coat, and use a pure Vinyl Ester resin (AME-6001) on the outside hull laminate for this reason. Even with the best product ever built in 1998 - 2003 we saw a few isolated blistering issue, very few though it did occur.

We do use the Premium VE resin and VE Barrier Coat on all product since 2015. The product was not refined prior to the level it is now and once we validated the product we switched.

As boat consumers, no one would know a thing about true pure vinyl ester resin and the difference since the MACT (EPA) standard if we had not printed that years ago. No other company has publicly mentioned what brand or model of resin they use today. As for us, our secondary layering is proprietary and we will only say it is a custom blend Isophthalic resin. The ingredients and alterations are proprietary. Many marine companies use a General Purpose DCPD (GP) blended marine resin and a GP strengths are listed in the data below.

Here are links to the various spec lab sheet with the flexural and tensile strengths noted. You can easily see why we spec the AME-6001. AME-6441 is built for molds mostly and the properties are a little different. It is a pure VE also, though we only use it in a must use situation based on availability of 6001.

https://www.ineos.com/businesses/ine...er-resins/ame/

https://www.ineos.com/globalassets/i...ine-resins.pdf

https://www.ineos.com/globalassets/i...ine-resins.pdf

Aropol 67400 Version GP
    https://www.ineos.com/businesses/ine...resins/aropol/

15. Member
    GatorBak bunks will help ease any blister issue, but there are other issues with the bunks as they need to be replaced more often due to the chines cutting them (the bunks).
    They do dry almost immediately though.

16. Member
    Left and right sides of the boat in front of the bunks. Boat is stored in a garage. Average travel distance to and from water is alittle more than a hour of needed to know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fynns; 06-16-2022 at 04:14 PM.
    BassCat Puma
    250 ProXs
    Humminbird Electronic's
    Helix 12 G4
    Solix 12x2 G3
    Mega 360
    Mega Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex MDI
    Relion Batteries
    Dexter Suspension System

17. Member
    Left and right sides of the boat in front of the bunks. Boat is stored in a garage. Average travel distance to and from water is alittle more than a hour of needed to know.
    Yep those are classic blisters. Repair before you get water intrusion into the glass layers. Then it will be a real monster.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Yep those are classic blisters. Repair before you get water intrusion into the glass layers. Then it will be a real monster.
    Perhaps change the bunks to gatorbaks as well.
    At least sit a fan behind the boat blowing on the bunks when you get it home.

My 03 Champion has a couple really really small ones I had to look pretty hard where the bunks are they were still hard. Found them when I replaced the carpet on the bunks with Gatorbaks!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I would find it hard for an insurance company to pay for it, as there was no accidental damage done. However I do feel that this would fall under the BCB lifetime warranty, as I find it hard to say that the blisters are neglect, or misuse, on a consumers part. But I have been told by BCB that it is NOT covered. So I have blisters that are starting to break. Quote for repair was at 5k-ish last I had it quoted.
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast