202 jack plate or not ?

Hello all, I really appreciate this site and all the help I have received in the past. I just purchased a 1995 Champion 202 with a 1995 Mercury 225 carb motor and I am going to pull the motor to reseal the transom, install new thru hull fittings and put in new reed valves ect. I am wondering if I should put a jack plate on it and if so which one. I think the boat is already fast enough for me but maybe a plate would be better if I need to change out the motor in near future or for handling or ?. Any help or comments greatly appreciated !

2. Member
    If you are currently mounted to the transom and don't mind dropping the coin for a plate then I would say yes now is the time to do it while you are doing other things back there. If you add a plate , go with a hydraulic, that's going to prove to be worth it for lots of situations. I can't advise you on how much setback with the exception that methinks 10" might be too much.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    If you go the jackplate route, check out Hydro Dynamics Rapid-Jack. 6”-8” is all you need for that sled.

4. Member
    Thank you

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    If you go the jackplate route, check out Hydro Dynamics Rapid-Jack. 6”-8” is all you need for that sled.
    Thank you

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    Curious about your recommendation for Hydro Dynamics? I just looked them up and see they are close to my house (never heard of them) so I'd love to know about your experience and maybe why you like them over some of the main guys (Bob's, TH). Thanks!
    2016 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS Optimax
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console
    Texas Highschool Bass Association (THSBA)
    "Always go with your gut, it will never fail you..."

8 inch Rapid Jack Magnum is what you want. I assume it has cable steering? Cable length might be an issue.

8. Member
    Pretty sure 6” is the max most recommended for optimal performance
    1999 Champion 202 / 1999 mercury 200hp EFI

Quote Originally Posted by 318champ View Post
    Pretty sure 6” is the max most recommended for optimal performance
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...apid+jack+size

10. Banned
    97 202: I was able to get an 8" Hydrodynamic plate to fit. It was worth 1mph over the 6". Steering cables are tight but usable.

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TxBassin View Post
    Curious about your recommendation for Hydro Dynamics? I just looked them up and see they are close to my house (never heard of them) so I'd love to know about your experience and maybe why you like them over some of the main guys (Bob's, TH). Thanks!
    Steve Glenn (Steve's Custom Props) bought Hydrodynamics (Rapid Jack) a few years back and moved production to Quitman. He sold the prop shop to Josh shortly thereafter. Rapid Jack was the OEM plate on the Mountain Home Champs. Very well built and easy to adjust. Most came with a 6". If you're going from 6" to 8" with cable steering, you probably have enough extra cable length to do that. Think Pat Goff indicated the 8" was optimum for the 202.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Steve Glenn (Steve's Custom Props) bought Hydrodynamics (Rapid Jack) a few years back and moved production to Quitman. He sold the prop shop to Josh shortly thereafter. Rapid Jack was the OEM plate on the Mountain Home Champs. Very well built and easy to adjust. Most came with a 6". If you're going from 6" to 8" with cable steering, you probably have enough extra cable length to do that. Think Pat Goff indicated the 8" was optimum for the 202.
    Thanks for the detailed info, Reggie! I really appreciate it. Good to know the story behind things...
    2016 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS Optimax
    4" Rapid Jack Magnum
    19p RAF3
    24v 80lb Fortrex
    Dual Console
    Texas Highschool Bass Association (THSBA)
    "Always go with your gut, it will never fail you..."