Thread: Surging motor

Surging motor

so I recently replaced the flywheel on my 250 pro xs 4 stroke (ser. #2B770913) and now when boat planes off it is surging. Tachometer is fluctuating 100/200 rpm. As soon as I trim up motor it seems to go away.
    Any ideas what it could be??

Thanks!!!

Watching this thread
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What part number flywheel did you install (and why)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Don’t recall the part number but it was direct from mercury. They changed the flywheel from my original one. The original one had a rubber ring inside the flywheel. Replacement does not.
    Spoke with a mercury mechanic today and he said might be lift pump switch in FSM tank??

5. Member
    Sorry I forgot to tell you the why. Came apart and destroyed belt.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably not the lift pump switch in the FSM, as this model doesn't have one.

I'm wondering if the triggering ring of the flywheel might have been tweaked or damaged slightly, crank sensor damaged, or debris somewhere in the top cover, air runners, intake valves, etc. etc.

You've got a PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    So yesterday I put my other prop on and seems to have solved the problem. Apparently I must have a partially spun hub if that is possible.
    I am going to put the old prop back on and see if the problem returns. I guess if it does it’s that prop??
    Thanks for the reply.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Clean the back side of the hub and prop... and add a scribe mark to each (or a paint dot... and let it dry).

Go run that prop... if the marks don't align, it's spun.