Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5th wheel with 2500 short bed

I am looking at getting a 5th wheel camper and wondering do I need a slider hitch or not? Pulling with a Silverado 2500 HD with a short bed (61/2’). I know the person that has it now pulls it with basically the same truck without a slider. But he hasn’t had it that long and I’m not sure what situations he has been in with it. My major concern is backing it in my driveway from the street. Will I be able to turn enough to get it in the driveway? If you have experience with this I would love to hear your advise.

Thanks
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

2. Member
    Have to have slider with short bed, it will cream the cab
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    Depends on the year of truck and rv. I have a 2020 GMC with a short bed and have never used my slider with my 5th wheel. The newer trucks have the kingpin sitting back more and the newer trailers have the caps cut and curved more so I am almost 90 and still clear the cab.

4. Member
    I put a Demco Autoslide into my 250. Absolutely love mine, I don’t have to mess with anything when backing up as it does it all by itself. Only down side is the hitch is HEAVY! It also sits below the bed which allows you to have a tonneau cover.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

5. Member
    My truck is a 2012 and the trailer is a 2005 with a square front end. It doesn't have the rounded front end like the newer ones. I am also looking to use a hitch that adapts to my gooseneck ball. Not wanting to put rails in the bed if possible.

Thanks for the responses
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

6. Member
    With the square front trailer a slider hitch may be needed. Which gooseneck set up do you have in the truck. If it’s a B&W They sell a 4 inch extended ball that moves the pivot point back 4 inches towards the tailgate for a little more room.

7. Member
    I have a 2019 Ford F-350 with the 6.5' bed, and a 2012 CrossRoads 5th wheel. I have a slider hitch but don't think i would need it unless I wind up with a steep hole or bad V incline. I do use the slider as I don't want to dent the cab or take out the back window.

8. Member

Hitch

Quote Originally Posted by ncsouthpaw View Post
    I am looking at getting a 5th wheel camper and wondering do I need a slider hitch or not? Pulling with a Silverado 2500 HD with a short bed (61/2’). I know the person that has it now pulls it with basically the same truck without a slider. But he hasn’t had it that long and I’m not sure what situations he has been in with it. My major concern is backing it in my driveway from the street. Will I be able to turn enough to get it in the driveway? If you have experience with this I would love to hear your advise.

Thanks
    look at Anderson hitch, have had a slider hitch as well. Anderson is best for me easy to hook up and light

9. Member
    I have looked at the Anderson, have a friend that used one for a short time. Does the Anderson have enough offset to make up for the slider?
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

10. Member
    Mine is a Draw Tite Gooseneck, it has a round base on the ball where B&W has a square.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

11. Member
    Yep, that's what I am trying to avoid, don't want to dent the cab or replace a window. But I don't want to get more hitch than I need.

Thanks
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I have looked at the Anderson, have a friend that used one for a short time. Does the Anderson have enough offset to make up for the slider?
    It has some. I tow with the Andersen in a standard bed (6-3/4ft) F250 and have plenty of turning room, but mine is a 2014 5th wheel with the more rounded nose.

There are a ton of things that go into making the hitch/truck/trailer combo work. Newer trucks sit higher and older trailers sit lower, so it can be impossible on many combinations to get enough bed clearance and level towing. I have to use my Andersen with the socket on the pin adapter toward the rear to keep the pin box away from my tailgate and bed rails, so I lose some of the offset the hitch gives, but it’s still enough clearance to turn. A slider doesn’t necessarily fix the clearance problems when backing into a site that’s lower than the road with the hitch in the maneuvering position. A 5th wheel tailgate is a good idea for that.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Thanks for the feed back, what I have seen is that you have many combinations and they don't all work for every setup. If the slider is to long then it puts the back of the pen box to close to the tail gate. And yes the height of the truck and trailer is another combo. My truck is stock but it does setup higher than some.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

Not to hijack or pile on, but since it is a great post on the topic of slides...I'm thinking/planning for the future, so if I could ask some advice or opinions as well.
    I've got a 2016 Ram 2500 that I had bought used in 2018 (51,655 miles). I just turned 72,400 on it. It has the Ram "puck mount" system for mounting a 5th wheel hitch or gooseneck. Has anybody got any experience with these type of systems and which manufacturer would have what would be considered the easiest system to use? I've tried to research Anderson, Reese, Curt and even Mopar/Ram. Have I overlooked any that offer the puck systems?
    Thanks

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyra1 View Post
    Not to hijack or pile on, but since it is a great post on the topic of slides...I'm thinking/planning for the future, so if I could ask some advice or opinions as well.
    I've got a 2016 Ram 2500 that I had bought used in 2018 (51,655 miles). I just turned 72,400 on it. It has the Ram "puck mount" system for mounting a 5th wheel hitch or gooseneck. Has anybody got any experience with these type of systems and which manufacturer would have what would be considered the easiest system to use? I've tried to research Anderson, Reese, Curt and even Mopar/Ram. Have I overlooked any that offer the puck systems?
    Thanks
    B&W and Pullrite are both very popular hitches and both make mounts for RAM factory pucks. Just remember if you have the short bed that it’s several inches shorter than other brands which can make tailgate clearance a problem. If you have the Rambox, it might be time for a different truck.
    nothing else matters.​

Thanks CatFan. Don’t know why I forgot about B&W. Not familiar with Pullrite but I’ll look at them too.

No to the Rambox. What is “Tailgate clearance “ in reference to as far as general travel, or not being able to close it? I figured a slide is in order for me anyway

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyra1 View Post
    Thanks CatFan. Don’t know why I forgot about B&W. Not familiar with Pullrite but I’ll look at them too.

No to the Rambox. What is “Tailgate clearance “ in reference to as far as general travel, or not being able to close it? I figured a slide is in order for me anyway
    When you slide back, the bottom of the pin box gets closer to the top of the tailgate. If the trailer goes down a hill while the truck is on flat ground or vice versa, clearance can get tight.
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    When you slide back, the bottom of the pin box gets closer to the top of the tailgate. If the trailer goes down a hill while the truck is on flat ground or vice versa, clearance can get tight.
    . Gotcha! Thanks!

19. Member
    My truck is a 2012 and the trailer is a 2005 with a square front end. It doesn't have the rounded front end like the newer ones. I am also looking to use a hitch that adapts to my gooseneck ball. Not wanting to put rails in the bed if possible.

Thanks for the responses
    You should be good if you want to do that you can get a 4" offset gooseneck ball rated for 20K. You can also get the offset adapters.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    You should be good if you want to do that you can get a 4" offset gooseneck ball rated for 20K. You can also get the offset adapters.
    Thanks for that idea I had not considered an offset ball. With 4” there and 3” offset with the hitch gives 7” total and that may do it without worrying about hitting the tailgate.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast