Where does XOM go from here after tripling from its Pandemic low?

Most articles and recommendations are bullish, but that always seems to be the case while the stock prices rise.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I would ask, how much higher could XOM really go from here, and is that worth the risk of where it could go. Oil and XOM are at their historical highs, even if oil goes significantly higher, does that mean XOM will go significantly higher? I'm not sure XOM profits are a 1:1 correlation to price of oil.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    From someone who retired from the industry ... let's just say I'm not buying even with your funds.

If forced to make moves at this point ... defense, agriculture, mining and healthcare - in that order.
    But overall, I'm recommending holding in position. Hopefully, well balanced & previously structured.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    As a long time XOM holder I would not buy any more at this level. The opportunity was a couple of years ago when my dividends were picking up a few shares at a low price. There is also an article on-line in Fortune today discussing how now is the time to sell XOM.
    Last edited by tcesni; 06-06-2022 at 09:51 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    As a long time XOM holder I would not buy any more at this level. The opportunity was a couple of years ago when my dividends were picking up a few shares at a low price. There is also an article on-line in Fortune today discussing how now is the time to sell XOM.
    As someone has stated ... "Profits are made when you buy".
    Very accurate, short and to the point. Find another target.

6. Member
    We will most likely be selling our long term holding in XOM, along with several companies that will get hit hard with this new America.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    We will most likely be selling our long term holding in XOM, along with several companies that will get hit hard with this new America.
    For the record, I'm not selling. Petroleum is a global commodity. There are countries just now starting to mature.
    I'd opine we have another 50+ years of fossil dependency AND at record profitability. Don't bail out just yet, IMO.
    Plastics, lubricants, solvents, resins, asphalt, tires, paints, flavorings, etc. Hydrocarbon ... wet carbon. Old #6.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    For the record, I'm not selling. Petroleum is a global commodity. There are countries just now starting to mature.
    I'd opine we have another 50+ years of fossil dependency AND at record profitability. Don't bail out just yet, IMO.
    Plastics, lubricants, solvents, resins, asphalt, tires, paints, flavorings, etc. Hydrocarbon ... wet carbon. Old #6.
    Agreed. I think short term it will take a hit at some point soon, but so is everything else if something doesn't change.

I about pulled the trigger at $97, now a week later it's sitting at $105. The hardest thing to do is sell a stock that's treated you well and is still climbing.

10. Member
    Not sure id buy it now, I bought it at 36 in march of 20', sold it at 74 about 7 months ago because I was certain it wasn't gonna ever get back to the 90s..but doubled our money and can't complain about that.

Here I sit, 5 months later, still in at $112, pondering again whether I should sell.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Here I sit, 5 months later, still in at $112, pondering again whether I should sell.
    It's likely to stay flat, or close to it. But it's paying over 3% in dividends which will likely bump up.

13. Member
    I’m still holding it since 2011.

14. Member
    I think it will eventually hit 120ish. I’m holding. Purchased about 10k shares during Covid and it’s done really well for me.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captainrab View Post
    I think it will eventually hit 120ish. I’m holding. Purchased about 10k shares during Covid and it’s done really well for me.
    That is a huge position in one stock!

16. Member
    I was working for them during Covid and ver diversified. When it dropped to 47ish I bought everything I had. I’ve since diversified again
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

Your prediction is almost there at $118.46. I'm still holding with a $44 cost basis, 169% rate of return in 2 years. Mind tells me take profits and sell. but it goes ex-dividend after today.
    Quote Originally Posted by captainrab View Post
    Last edited by mossie3; 02-10-2023 at 02:59 PM.