Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

2. Member
    Ok, went back to test idle timing again. Not sure it matters but the motor is in a 100 gallon tank, not on muffs. Cranked motor and at normal idle, the rpms seemed low and it sounded like it wants to cut off, it did once. Checked timing and it it was around 4-5 degrees ATDC but it would bounce back off the marks every second or so. Decided to test with plugs out and cranking, timing was the same but I turned the timing screw back to where it was before the link n sync, about 0 degrees. Though before I replaced the trigger it had read 4* ATDC at that same position. So now back to original position reading 0-1* ATDC while cranking/plugs out. Put plugs in, cranked and ran motor, seems to be idling better and smoother BUT I test the timing at idle and the timing is measuring before the .462 mark on the flywheel! It’s steady there and seems to idle good. I try to slowly turn the idle speed screw in to advance the idle and as I do it slowly starts to reduce rpms and eventually dies before I can get the timing past the .462 mark. So I turn screw backed to where it started with the timing before the .462 mark. Turn motor off remove plugs check timing while cranking and timing shows back at 1* ATDC. What is going on? Is it the control module? Could it be CDM module?
    Last edited by leonreno; 08-06-2022 at 11:50 AM.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Retested today when running and idle test ok now, about 1* ATDC but idle speed seems off a little, slight rougher than normal. Think I will check the reeds too. Don’t know why the timing was off yesterday so bad.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    humidity , no really i suspect you have a module acting up , that timming that close to 0 is gonna be rich rich at low speed = rough idle
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thanks Joe, yeah that’s my thought too. Can’t see what else would cause it to advance timing so much at idle, I never checked WOT because I feared what would happen if it advanced the WOT timing that much. I’ll get a new control module and test again.

another question, I forgot to ask earlier, when I removed the trigger, the top of the crankshaft seal and around it had a film of oil and maybe gas on it, not pooled just a light film, is it normal for that to be there, does the gas/oil work it’s way through the seal or do I need a new seal?
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on what you call a "light film". There should NOT be leaking fuel coming from the upper crank seal, however.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Ok, it was wet looking but not dripping or pooling anywhere. I Maugham go ahead and change the seal to be safe.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    i maugham you should

9. Member
    Small update, haven’t had time yet to change the seal, but should this week. Hopefully. But I did have time to clean the carburetors. I found some gunk/varnish in three of the idle vents, not sure how bad they were but couldn’t see through them and cleaned them with a needle, may have been varnish or just some gas/oil left in them. But I also found the middle carb’s float was past the bowl lip when inverted. Manual says the top of float to be even with the bowl, the other two were good. In the picture below, would the float being that high cause it to flood and bog down when trying to plane off?
    942BF6AE-6A0B-436E-84C5-93CB84C54D7A.jpeg
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It could.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Ok, cleaned and adjusted the carbs. Replaced the reeds with TDR reeds, just for safety sake not due to any problems. Rebuilt pulse fuel pump, replaced control module (new old stock someone I know had) replaced upper crankshaft seal, redid the link n sync. Cranking timing set at 24* BTDC, idle set at 4* ATDC. Started and ran motor, idle speed on trailer with motor in 100 G tank is 1000 rpms, higher than normal and tested timing at this speed, it’s at 0* Need to adjust it on the water and in gear, next step, but should I reduce idle timing before going to the water or just do it then?

PS: I was having trouble getting the shifter and links to put the carbs all the way to WOT, took a little of adjusting the throttle shifter and levers but I think I’m good. But one thing I noticed is there is WOT stop screw, but there is nothing in the service manual about its adjustment, is this something to be adjusted if needed or is it set at factory and to be left alone? Thanks for all the help. Edit: I did find instructions for its adjustment in the EFI link adjustments but it’s not in the carb section.
    Last edited by leonreno; 01-23-2023 at 12:26 AM.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

12. Member
    adjust in water first , wot stop is just Infront of spark arm lower portion 1/4 in screw with jam nut , carb linkage should not bind at wot when adjusted correctly

13. Member
    Ok thanks Joe. What I thought but wanted to make sure. Even though it’s idling high it seems to be much smoother than before, which is good. Hopefully because whatever was the problem is fixed plus the new TDR reeds (from Don).
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

14. Member
    when you back up timing it will slow down , you do know there are claims of 20mph increases when those are bought and installed from him dont ya .......

15. Member
    Definitely, I don’t expect anything less. I will say it was sorta la zen like process of lapping the cages, wax on, wax off, took some time to get how much I needed to remove to get them flat but turned out good I think.

04758463-CDB2-4E02-95F4-931A75B6F5DB.jpeg
    6CDCB8B2-769D-424F-AF9F-3582F1F81E34.jpeg
    D95FA58C-1DDC-4CC2-A5C0-21884A595998.jpeg
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

16. Member
    had a guy tell me other day he was quoted $100 to put a set in , i said why ya calling me

17. Member
    After doing it, $100 is a good deal. It’s not hard but does take some time with 12 surfaces that have to be lapped twice, then reeds installed with 48 screws with loctite and then torque each one to 8”lbs. then mounting them to the plate and torquing them to spec. Lot of time.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

18. Member
    this guy said 100 for a complete job just bring reeds and boat , i told him to pay him up front

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    this guy said 100 for a complete job just bring reeds and boat , i told him to pay him up front
    And if it turns out good- tell the guy I've got a job waiting for him in SC.

Only gains you should see from the reeds would be idle quality and perhaps a bit snappier response in the mid-range. If you see something change on the top end, it's only because you corrected some problem in the process.

20. Member
    I mainly did the reeds for the safety aspect, and hoping for a little better idle and if there is anything else like snappier midrange punch that would be a bonus, but my boat is fairly heavy and not expecting too much.

I would be surprised if the $100 Reed job is anything close to a good and thorough job unless he does it more as a hobby than an actual job.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast