2018 200 sputtering and 2800 max rpms

My fathers pontoon is acting up now. It’s been flawless and quite fast on that pontoon since he’s had it. It’s touched 50 gps a few times. But for whatever reason it’s not running right as of this weekend. He assumed gas at first but the 2800 rpm max is what had me questioning that. Any ideas? I’m not too familiar with Suzuki outboards.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Member
    Man, it could be many many things!

Would really help to have as much information as possible about whats happening and under what circumstances, whats been done so far to try to rectify it etc.

Some common issues:

- Stale fuel
    - Throttle linkages not giving full throttle
    - a broken neutral throttle switch (engine ecu still thinks its in neutral so limits rpm to about 3000rpm, engine when pushed hard runs like a race car hitting the pit lane limiter

- Also have heard a few US members on another forum who have had small birds make a nest inside the air intake in the cowl causing a blockage and similar symptoms, can be hard to see, take the cowl off, and may have to disassemble the air intake track inside the cowl to check and clean it out.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Man, it could be many many things!

Would really help to have as much information as possible about whats happening and under what circumstances, whats been done so far to try to rectify it etc.

Some common issues:

- Stale fuel
    - Throttle linkages not giving full throttle
    - a broken neutral throttle switch (engine ecu still thinks its in neutral so limits rpm to about 3000rpm, engine when pushed hard runs like a race car hitting the pit lane limiter

- Also have heard a few US members on another forum who have had small birds make a nest inside the air intake in the cowl causing a blockage and similar symptoms, can be hard to see, take the cowl off, and may have to disassemble the air intake track inside the cowl to check and clean it out.
    Thank you for the response . I’ll let him know. The engine shakes also but I agree it could be any number of things. Thanks again
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

4. Member
    20220521_194018.jpg just cleaned this out of my 250ss

5. Member
    20220521_194022.jpg The square section was packed full

Shawn something nesting I assume

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

7. Member
    Yes. I never saw anything fly in or out. I just knew it didn't run right.

Cool motor cover time

Have problems in Florida with mud dobber getting in the covers. Nothing like sucking sand in your engine!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Cool motor cover time

Have problems in Florida with mud dobber getting in the covers. Nothing like sucking sand in your engine!
    Mud wasps also like to set up home in places like the tank vent and the pee tube. Annoying little critters!

A well fitting engine cover is a good deterrent.

10. Member
    Pulled as much gas as possible out of the tank then removed the tank. Lots of trash in the tank. Tested the gravity of the gas and it has evidence of maybe some diesel being in it. Because gravity of gasoline is about 63.0. The sample I took was 46.7.
    Not sure how that will affect the engine going forward.1219CDD7-6D37-4537-8215-2BE26FAE96E6.jpeg479C7E59-8034-4769-B9C7-1B985561A57C.jpegIn the side by side photo the one on the right is a tank sample pulled today of good gasoline.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

If it is diesel it shouldn't hurt the motor really in small amounts. It would lube the injectors some but isn't going to help it run. I'd change the fuel filter too. The water test is.
    K.I.S.S. Start with the basics.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

12. Member
    Is there a water separating fuel filter between the tank and engine (I really hope there is…… they should be used on every efi 4 stroke engine.)

If so the element obviously has to be changed ASAP.

If not, there is a good chance that all the filters on the engine are clogged and they will all need to be changed. Including the expensive high pressure one. They might need to be done even if the inline filter is in place.

Its then more than likely that the VST is contaminated with junk and will need to be cleaned out too. Then lets hope that is as far as the contaminants got, or we could be lokking at removing and cleaning out fuel rails and injectors….

But start with the in line filter and engine filters, and cross fingers!

Also, apply an uppercut to the chin of whoever filled that tank with diesel!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Is there a water separating fuel filter between the tank and engine (I really hope there is…… they should be used on every efi 4 stroke engine.)

If so the element obviously has to be changed ASAP.

If not, there is a good chance that all the filters on the engine are clogged and they will all need to be changed. Including the expensive high pressure one. They might need to be done even if the inline filter is in place.

Its then more than likely that the VST is contaminated with junk and will need to be cleaned out too. Then lets hope that is as far as the contaminants got, or we could be lokking at removing and cleaning out fuel rails and injectors….

But start with the in line filter and engine filters, and cross fingers!

Also, apply an uppercut to the chin of whoever filled that tank with diesel!
    Thanks and I too hope it hasn’t gotten far. As for the diesel. It doesn’t smell like diesel. It’s just that the gravity is much lower than gas, but also much higher than diesel. I have tried to find if old gasolines API gravity lowers over time but cannot. I also stuck the product for water and found none present. Also there was about 18 gallons in the tank snd it’s added 5 gal at the time so no telling how much of that was bad. I will re-install the tank and then continue forward as the fuel flows and investigate along the way.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

14. Member
    If your engine shakes and won't rev up, to me it sounds like a sensor is putting the motor into the self protect mode. If the buzzer hasn't sounded, turn the key on and make sure it does sound when you intitally turn the key on.

The monitor gauge will illuminate why the warning buzzer has sounded. If the warning buzzer is indicating a problem with oil or overheating, it will also be accompanied by a reduction in maximum RPM. The buzzer will sound when the engine is started.

Any updates to this issue? I'm curious!
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X