AVX fuel tank pressure

I think we all have heard the rush of air when we pop the cap on the fuel tank. This weekend, mine sucked air for quite a bit longer than usual and the tanked actually popped. That day I was losing power off and on while running and had a difficult time starting it when the power loss occurred. The motor did not shut off just got bogged down like it was starving for fuel, then would take off. I have it narrowed down to bad gas, or the tank got "air locked".
    How do these tanks vent, or don't they need to?
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

2. Member
    If the inside of of your boat and compartments smells like gas and a lot of pressure at filler cap as you say send it to dealer mine was like that after a fuel filler hose recall and it took them awhile to find but under the seats is the fuel tank there were some screws loose on top of the tank no more issues with pressure or fumes now just my experience with a 2019 1880 avx

I live at 6,000 ft and my lake is at 3,500 ft. I regularly open the cap to release the pressure and my tank will pop. Hasn’t been an issue performance wise. Heck I’ve even had a bag of potatoe chips pop open going up the mountain.
    I believe a certain amount of pressure is normal much like our vehicles. As fuel is used and the tank is drawn down it can create vacuum. I think I have read that some of the early models had a fuel tank issue that was resolved.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Vexus has confirmed that it's normal. And doubt that's the issue. Leading towards a primer bulb issue.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

5. Member
    I own a 2022' 1880, my tank pops regularly, I found the good old Epa mandates a closed fuel system and the tank is under 1lb of pressure

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    Vexus has confirmed that it's normal. And doubt that's the issue. Leading towards a primer bulb issue.
    There's no primer bulb. Do you have a separate water separator installed?

7. Member
    I have a primer bulb and replaced it. The loss of power issue is still occurring and seems to happens when the air temp is hot. Nobody seems to know what the issue is.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    I have a primer bulb and replaced it. The loss of power issue is still occurring and seems to happens when the air temp is hot. Nobody seems to know what the issue is.
    Is this an Evinrude thing? Where is the bulb?

9. Member
    Mine hangs right in front of the battery charger in the back compartment. I guess it could be an Evinrude thing, I am no outboard motor expert.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance