Throttle roller timing arm adjustment 60* motors

If you have a problem with a 60 degree carb motor stalling on take off you need to check the timing roller, the first picture the roller is incorrect, in the second picture the screw that is used to adjust the roller is marked, loosen the screw and move the roller until it touches the arm as indicated by the arrow.
    The third picture is how the roller should be positioned.

All pictures are with the top round cover removed.

First thing is to set the throttle linkage so the throttle cam touches the throttle body's throttle roller in this photos the throttle body roller is yellowed and is for illustration. Then the throttle cable is removed from the trunion cradle. To do this you remove the 3/8" bolt and the cable clamp is removed. The throttle cable end stays connected to the throttle linkage and the roller and throttle cam is set. The cable trunion adjustment is then set so it slips easily into the cradle and then the clamp can be installed.

Now the timing roller can be adjusted to the correct position so the timing roller touches the timing cam.

throttle roller.jpg
    Roller in an incorrect position

Loosen screw, move roller as indicated by arrows.

throttlelinkage.jpeg
    Correct roller position.

throttleroller2.jpg

Once the timing roller is touching the timing cam verify that the throttle cam is touching the throttle roller. This will make sure that both rollers are in sync with each other. The Throttle cable adjustment is the same whether you have a hot foot or a hand control .

Last edited by ChampioNman; 06-07-2021 at 12:04 PM. Reason: corrections

2. Member
    I have uploaded a picture for a 1990 Johnson 150GT on the throttle roller and the primer solenoid.

3. Banned
    Wow i done something wrong, looked at my adjustment an it was example one so i un did throttle cable then loosen screw in the second illustration an then adjusted the roller to the base like illustration three.readjusted throttle cable foward to the slot retightened.. when i tried to crank it sounded like crap to many rpm's an if you put it in gear an push the hot foot it cuts off immediately, i got the timing out of wack now.what ya think? I obviously did something that not right, kinda in over my head..