My F195: Prop Testing

I run the VMax SHO. Finally had the opportunity to play with 3 props. The boat came w/ a PTP VMX 3 blade 24p. I bit the bullet and talked to Mark, got his Raxor 4 XL 24p. I also got my hands on a PTP VMX 3 blade 26p. Results below:

VMX 24p
    f195_vmx_24p.png

VMX 26p
    f195_vmx_26p.png

Raxor 4 XL 24p
    f195_raxor_24p.png

The Raxor destroys both the 3 blade props in hole shot and overall acceleration, especially in rougher conditions. It also gets to top speed a lot quicker, and tapped the rev limiter my first time out (which achieved the 75mph). It easier to drive the boat with this prop at higher speeds, stability is much improved. Runs ~50mph at ~4200 rpm. Stays on pad below 2500 rpm (I could keep it on pad at ~2200 with some work). Mark is recommending we swap out to a 25p, so I suspect it'll be a ~77mph prop and stay away from the rev limiter. Ran the boat in the 4-5 setting on the gauge (1.8" to 0.8" ptp, below pad).

The prop I've run the boat most with and took a *while* to get the 74.8mph top speed, was the VMX 24p. Holeshot on this prop improved once I got my Bob's hydro plate and I could bring the plate up more. The manual plate had ptp of 4", and I had manually gotten to 3.25". I found 2.25" ptp was the best hole shot on this prop once I had the hydro plate. This prop runs about 42-44mph @ 4200 rpm. It's also a little slow to pick up speed after ~68-70mph. Took much work and effort to achieve it's top speed (and nearly ideal conditions water conditions). Also likes to run in the 4.5-5 setting.

I made a gamble and picked up the 26p VMX 3 blade. As expected, the hole shot is the worst of all 3 props. Not horrible, but you can tell it's a little slower to get on pad, but then gets moving. Gets to 70mph quite easy, with 73-74 easily achievable in rougher lake conditions. Runs 50mph @ 4200 rpm like the 24p 4 blade. Achieved 76mph first run across the lake in the morning. On the run back to the dock the conditions were worse, but still pulled off 76.8mph (nearly 77) @ ~5900-6000 rpm. This prop has the same characteristics as the 24p VMX -- where it continues to pick up speed and rpm, albeit slowly at high speed and with more work (more trim, you gotta drive it above 75). Similar jack plate settings as the 24p VMX, probably could go up more on the plate.

The 4 blade Raxor definitely provides more stern lift. The boat feels to run flatter even with more trim, and a gust of wind won't cause it to porpoise -- but instead carries the whole boat flat. If that makes sense.

2. Member
    Any thoughts on the Raxor ptp height on the standard manual plate? Same boat and engine…

3. Member
    Seems like the SHO is just a tad faster than the Pro XS 4 strokes on the 195? You're getting mid 70s whereas I see people with the Pro XS get low 70s. Still screaming fast for a 19 footer.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A6113mech View Post
    Any thoughts on the Raxor ptp height on the standard manual plate? Same boat and engine…

2.5" to 3" ptp provided good holeshot with no prop blow out. As you get closer to 2" ptp it would blow out as the boat planed, so would pick up rpm and then settle and take off. I honestly preferred the 2" ptp hole shot as it didn't lose any planing performance but picked up a bit more RPM as it settled on plane to help it get moving. Higher ptp can cause blow out, but not so much that you can't modulate it with your foot (planing time may suffer tho).

Obviously YMMV with load, etc. I generally run with all my car any 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank of fuel. The boat loses maybe 1-2mph with a big coangler and his gear as well. it ran 72-73mph on the 3 blade 24p VMX.

I'm not sure if I want to try pushing it further, as I don't have any experience on when/if these things will need a blowout ring, nose cone, on and on...

5. Member
    Great info. Please comment on your thoughts if you choose to give the raxor 25p a try and compare to the 24p. Looking to go the raxor route in the near future with manual plate. Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff

6. Member
    Darn you! I was happy with 71 till I read this ;-)
    HMC USN RET
    2022 Falcon F195/Merc 200 and all the goodies I could get on it.

7. Member
    Finally got a chance to stretch it's wings with the 25p Raxor 4XL. Weather has cooled back down into the 70's and the engine is breathing better. Achieved 77mph @ 6062 rpm. Needs to be driven at this speed due to how much trim it takes to get it out of the water enough to achieve this rpm/speed.

I'll probably pick up a 24p Raxor before next summer as the performance in the dead heat of the summer will be better with this prop. Although the 25p did achieve 75mph in the heat w/ the livewells full.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitviper View Post
    Finally got a chance to stretch it's wings with the 25p Raxor 4XL. Weather has cooled back down into the 70's and the engine is breathing better. Achieved 77mph @ 6062 rpm. Needs to be driven at this speed due to how much trim it takes to get it out of the water enough to achieve this rpm/speed.

I'll probably pick up a 24p Raxor before next summer as the performance in the dead heat of the summer will be better with this prop. Although the 25p did achieve 75mph in the heat w/ the livewells full.
    You should test a 24p Solas Scorpion. I was highly impressed by that prop on my f205.

9. Member
    New high score w/ the Raxor 4XL 25p.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0Uud6RmKs2I
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    Great info, the F195 is on my super short list of next boat to get and was planning on going Yamaha. Have you given any thought to flashing the ECU or getting a 250 ECU to run? Be interesting to see how fast it would be then.

Quote Originally Posted by vitviper View Post
    New high score w/ the Raxor 4XL 25p.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0Uud6RmKs2I
    I am running a 23p Fury, can get low 70s tourny load with a SHO. On the 4 blade , do you have to use an insert like the Fury requires? Also, how does it handle the turns with the 4 blade and what was the PTP?

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

12. Member
    What is the set back your jack pate?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritonboy2001 View Post
    I am running a 23p Fury, can get low 70s tourny load with a SHO. On the 4 blade , do you have to use an insert like the Fury requires? Also, how does it handle the turns with the 4 blade and what was the PTP?
    The Raxor has an insert, correct. Lots of grip in turns. I have two PTP, 24p and 26p, both VMX.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt View Post
    What is the set back your jack pate?
    6". Same as the manual plate the boat came with.