Question drotto or ramp n clamp auto boat catch

I am getting up there in years , I am finding it difficult to lean over the bow of the boat to attach my wench strap and safety catch when loading the boat . If any of you have used either the dtotto or ramp n clamp can i get some feed back as to how they work, And if one product would be recommended over the other ?
    Thank You

2. Member
    I have a deep v boat on a roller trailer and the Drotto works well. The Drotto does seem to take a considerable amount of force to get it to latch when trailering. However, I've learned to wait until I'm close to the latch to throttle it up a bit. When backing in my release handle rope is long enough that I set at the console. Then once backed in I'll pull the handle and the boat rolls off the trailer, which works well. A friend has the Ramp n Clamp on a bunk trailer. We'll unlatch it right before backing it in the water then float the boat off the trailer. This would not work with my roller trailer as the boat would roll right off. The Ramp n Clamp does seem to lock easier than the Drotto when going back on the trailer. Just my experience with the two different devices.

3. Member
    Have had a Drotto for two seasons, love it for takeouts. I hit it pretty hard on a regular basis, and unlike a previous product, it's held up fine. Between the Drotto and an Anchor Rein, solo boat handling at the ramp is simple.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

4. Member
    My dad has the drifting and it works great. I used to have a boat buddy but not sure if they are still made. Not sure how the dept to would work on a bass hull.

5. Member
    BTW my dad has a 618vs.

6. Member
    any link to this drifting one you are talking about

7. Member
    We've been using the ramp n clamp and so far I like it.

8. Member
    I have the Ramp & Clamp and love it. Great customer service should You need it

Ramp n Clamp on my 521 and so far it has worked great.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    Drotto works good for me avx

A buddy has a Drotto on his Champion and it works good. Since I added steps to my trailer I find it easy to step down and latch. I can then either step off to the truck or step up for a ride up the ramp from a buddy in the truck.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

12. Member
    I have a drotto on my lund. Its pretty awsome if you fish alone at all.
    "We all have it commin kid....." Will Munny

13. Member
    Like my Drotto. Great for us old folks.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    Like my Drotto. Great for us old folks.
    Especially if we work alone. While I use a discontinued Boat Buddy, any of the units make life a lot easier especially when a trolling motor is hanging over the front.
    Last edited by Jboutfishn; 05-07-2022 at 10:41 AM.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Ramp n Clamp on my 521 and so far it has worked great.

Which model number did you install?
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

16. Member
    I personally had a 285 stratos that had the ultimate bunk boards ( they are super slick) and a Drotto latch. Fishing by myself all the time I thought it was a pretty great setup! Launching just pull the handle and boat would slide right off. Loading id hit the latch and would pull up some pretty steep ramps and drive up to parking lot before I would strap it. I will buy again on my next boat.

17. Member
    Hello,

I’m look to get a drotto boat latch for a galvanized shoreland’r trailer. A bit concerned about galvanic corrosion between two different metals touching. Anyone get the black powder coated drotto for their galvanized trailer? Or should I get the zinc plated? I know the zinc would match better but honestly not that much because it’s zinc plated so it’s shiny unlike my trailer. Anyways, I will never go into salt water. Wanting to know which is more durable corrosion wise and looking to prevent any and all galvanic corrosion on my trailer. Any feedback would be great! Thanks.