How far south In upper bay does bass fishing begin.

New to upper Chesapeake. I tried launching out of Mariner Point but didn't like how shallow the water was there with not being experienced. I am new to tidal water bass fishing. Not looking to take away from anyone just looking for a place to start. Anyway just wondering how far south do the bass go in the upper or mid bay. Thanks

2. Member
    Middle river , seneca , still pond and chester if ya feel up to making the run

Choptank, Nanticoke, Pocomoke. Don't be scared of the shallow water, just take it easy and learn it. The Gunpowder around the Joppatowne area has been pretty hot from my understanding. If you want to fish tidal water you got to get used to shallow water. Join a club, find a buddy, etc.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    I gotta fish the Upper Bay tomorrow, club tournament. I don't know diddly about it, I fish Eastern Shore. Launching Havre de grace. Any suggestions on WHERE to fish? I can catch 'em if they're there but don't know where.

5. Member
    Yesterday out of Tydings. The wind was U.F.B. Several other boats went too. Nobody caught anything out on the back channel flats and soon everyone quit. The wind gusting to 35+ it was just too bumpy to feel anything except crankbaits and spinnerbaits plus the water was very chalky. We ended up hitting some shore cover and all the marinas but all we got were shorts.

Mike Iaconelli was there pre fishing I suspect. He fished past us but didn't ask for my autograph so we didn't have a conversation.

The winning bag in our club was about 10 pounds for 3 fish, two 5 pounders were Lunker candidates.
    A difficult day, but as usual, somebody caught 'em.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 04-28-2022 at 08:38 AM.

6. Member
    I didn’t see your question until it was too late to help. Sounds like my limited knowledge wouldn’t have helped anyway given the conditions.

Worst thing for you was the gas you burned getting there and back for a miserable day.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

The UB has been tough this spring, guy's either get em good or get squat. Sizable tnx tomorrow so we shall see. The wind does need to lay low if you wanna fish the flats.
    Last Sat I got out at 10AM and hit the grass late in the day after the tnx guys left. Got three shorts. Two buddies were out early same day, one had over 22 w/ best 5 and the other had over 21 of smallies best 5. The doers and the losers, guess which slot I fit into fishing wise?
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Last Sat I got out at 10AM and hit the grass late in the day after the tnx guys left. Got three shorts. Two buddies were out early same day, one had over 22 w/ best 5 and the other had over 21 of smallies best 5. The doers and the losers, guess which slot I fit into fishing wise?
    Do you think the reason has more to do with the tide or the time of the day?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Do you think the reason has more to do with the tide or the time of the day?
    Tide played a real roll in the big bag of smallies he said. Tide always plays a roll on tidal water the big sack of LM was caught on the low outgoing. I launch at the dead low and went to the wrong places to stay out of the tnx guys way.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Tide played a real roll in the big bag of smallies he said. Tide always plays a roll on tidal water the big sack of LM was caught on the low outgoing. I launch at the dead low and went to the wrong places to stay out of the tnx guys way.
    The tide always is the leading factor in tidal waters. Launching at low tide means giving away most of the premium time to fish. Occasionally some bass will "go against the tide" but it's a small percentage.
    Your reference to smallies, I presume you mean smallmouth bass. I seldom see a smallmouth that far into the Bay, down by Swan.

The smallies were caught up in the river a bit, still tidal. I watched the same guy catch a 4.5 and 3.5 smallie today and his rider caught a 5.07