Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Phoenix 518 Pro, Skeeter ZX150 or BassCat Bobcat

I am ordering a new boat for 2023 and ran into a dilemma.

I am looking at the Bass Cat Bobcat, the Skeeter ZX150 and the Phoenix 518 Pro. Pricing is difficult to find because Skeeter is the only one with prices listed on the website and dealer sites all say "call for price". From what I have gathered, they all seem to be around the $38-40k range. I'm not a pro and can't afford a $90k 20 footer. I fish local tournaments and fish with my friends and son.

My first area of concern is that the Bass Cat and Skeeter come with 150hp and the Phoenix is a max of 115hp. This leads me away from the Phoenix, especially if the price is similar.

The Bass Cat is 17'7" while the other 2 are 18'6" which leads me away from the Bass Cat.

The Bass Cat also has over a 1 year lead time for the Bobcat while the Phoenix is 3-5 months. I'm assuming the Skeeters will be quicker since they have more available on the lots.

I am also leaning toward the custom build due to requiring a dual console which most of the boats listed are impossible to find on a lot with a dual console.

I also don't prefer anything built by White River Marine.

If you guys have any input here, let it rip! Thank you
    Last edited by Slayer412; 04-22-2022 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Typo

2. Member
    Just get the skeeter. It’s a great boat, good storage, and the 150 will get that boat in the 57-59 mph range.

3. Member
    Sounds like you know what you want.
    Skeeter sounds like a “good” deal these days. Lotta boat for the money

Sabre ? But probably even worse lead time
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drainplug View Post
    Sabre ? But probably even worse lead time
    I'd love a Sabre, but they're a tad out of my price range. The Bass Cat dealer told me they don't have any plans to build the Bobcat until they are caught up on orders for the 19-21 foot models which he said were 8-10 months.

6. Member
    I'm on my 3rd BassCat, along with 1 Skeeter, 1 Triton, 1 Stratos, and 3 Rangers.
    Honestly the Skeeter was the worse boat I have ever owned, fit and finish were horrible, you could scuff the gel getting in and out while wearing tennis shoes. I will never order a boat again, I want to make sure there are no serious issues before buying, so find something at a dealer and take it home. I know, easier said than done. Perhaps look at a 2 or 3 year old boat within your budget. You can find one a bit larger with engine warranty remaining. I wouldn't buy an 18 foot boat with a dual console, unless the wife was planning on going from time to time, as you will have little to no room. Small tourney fishing with your son is some of the best time you will ever spend. I have seen a couple of single console Bobcats (prize boats) on FB marketplace for sale. If I run across them again, I will DM you. Good luck in your search.

7. Member
    Bobacat for sure, those things are a rocket with a 150hp on the back. It will outperform the Skeeter by far.

Skeeter or Phoenix for me. Flip a coin and choose out of those two.

9. Member
    I'd lean towards the skeeter out of the 3 for sure. I know you don't want WRMG, but I'd at least take a look at the z18 pro and triton 18 trx as well, good values and you might be surprised by build quality.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I'm on my 3rd BassCat, along with 1 Skeeter, 1 Triton, 1 Stratos, and 3 Rangers.
    Honestly the Skeeter was the worse boat I have ever owned, fit and finish were horrible, you could scuff the gel getting in and out while wearing tennis shoes. I will never order a boat again, I want to make sure there are no serious issues before buying, so find something at a dealer and take it home. I know, easier said than done. Perhaps look at a 2 or 3 year old boat within your budget. You can find one a bit larger with engine warranty remaining. I wouldn't buy an 18 foot boat with a dual console, unless the wife was planning on going from time to time, as you will have little to no room. Small tourney fishing with your son is some of the best time you will ever spend. I have seen a couple of single console Bobcats (prize boats) on FB marketplace for sale. If I run across them again, I will DM you. Good luck in your search.
    The DM would be appreciated! I'm in Michigan but a cross-country drive is fine if it's something I want.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    Skeeter or Phoenix for me. Flip a coin and choose out of those two.
    Just to build my knowledge base, what makes you say no to the Cat?

12. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Skeeter is a good deal but that storage is a waste on it. Don’t know why they didn’t make that a big center storage on the front and make the cooler a step or put it in the floor like they used to. The bobcat looks like a good layout.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer412 View Post
    Just to build my knowledge base, what makes you say no to the Cat?
    All the manufacturers these days build boats that’ll easily last 20+ years. With that being said, theirs a few things that I don’t like about Basscat when I looked at them at the Bassmaster Classic last month in Greenville. Weird layout and angles of the compartment lids, latches that look like they belong on a guitar case, floor vent that looks like an AC vent that you can buy at Lowe’s. The step you need to take to get to the front deck was really high. I lost count on the bcb, basscat logos on the sides of the boat, bottom of the boat, back of the boat, inside of the boat, seats and trailer. I was wondering if basscat pays their customers to advertise for them? Yes I get it, basscat wants their customers and people that see their boats to have basscat engraved in their heads but I think it looks tacky. The Shazam logos on the side of the boat looks dated. The chrome vent covers on the back of the boat that all fibergalsss Bass boat manufacturers stopped using in the 1990’s also looks dated.

At the same time, their are people that like the stuff I mentioned above. Glad they build boats for everybody’s tastes but basscat boats just don’t do it for me.

14. Member
    All the manufacturers these days build boats that’ll easily last 20+ years. With that being said, theirs a few things that I don’t like about Basscat when I looked at them at the Bassmaster Classic last month in Greenville. Weird layout and angles of the compartment lids, latches that look like they belong on a guitar case, floor vent that looks like an AC vent that you can buy at Lowe’s. The step you need to take to get to the front deck was really high. I lost count on the bcb, basscat logos on the sides of the boat, bottom of the boat, back of the boat, inside of the boat, seats and trailer. I was wondering if basscat pays their customers to advertise for them? Yes I get it, basscat wants their customers and people that see their boats to have basscat engraved in their heads but I think it looks tacky. The Shazam logos on the side of the boat looks dated. The chrome vent covers on the back of the boat that all fibergalsss Bass boat manufacturers stopped using in the 1990’s also looks dated.

At the same time, their are people that like the stuff I mentioned above. Glad they build boats for everybody’s tastes but basscat boats just don’t do it for me.

Oh boy, the BCB army is going to be here to soon to tell you how wrong you are and that every single piece of bass cat flair is on the boat for a specific purpose (I agree with all your criticisms. I like a lot about bass cat, but can't get over the price and the styling.)
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

15. Member
    Check out the Phoenix 818 Pro, 18'6" & rated for 150 -175. More upscale standard features than the 518 Pro.

16. Member
    I like the retro style and chrome vent covers of the Basscats.

17. Member
    I'm at the basscat owners invational this weekend. They are giving away a bobcat. I personally have a Margay and love it. The front deck is huge. The bobcat is the updated version of the Margay. I bought it as a prize boat and saved myself some money doing it. I'd recommend buying a prize boat.

18. Member

That is all valid! I just hear so much about the ride and overall build quality of the Bass Cats, I wasn't sure if the quality would make up for the color scheme designs and "retro" touches. I was honestly expecting all of the responses to be heavily Bass Cat biased but it doesn't look like that's the case!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    Check out the Phoenix 818 Pro, 18'6" & rated for 150 -175. More upscale standard features than the 518 Pro.
    The 818 is a bit out of my price range, otherwise I'd throw that in the mix as well.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    The 818 is a bit out of my price range, otherwise I'd throw that in the mix as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast