Thread: Back Channel

Back Channel

I put in at Tydings yesterday for the first time. Usually always use Anchor. I only have a 18 foot tin boat but had a terrible time finding the back channel for the first 200 yards. Didn’t get stuck but definitely bottomed out out. Looking for just a little help. There is 2 red buoy’s and a bunch of grey sticks. If I’m heading south towards swan where should I be until I pickup the deeper water after the first point. Thanks Matt

2. Member
    If you are heading downstream - South, away from the marina - the line of gray sticks you see should be on your left...if those are the same ones I saw last weekend. For further reference, there are some docks past the line of gray sticks and I think there was one small boat tied up to them. At extreme low tide as you are traveling South, approaching the turn towards the open flats, you will see a mud flat on your right (towards the bank) only 20-30' away from you. Not sure if I this makes sense or if I answered what you are asking.

3. Member
    Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 12.39.10 PM.pngMaybe this image will help. The solid line is roughly the channel. The squiggly lines are shallow areas. The dots represent the gray sticks.

all the markers are not in right now, but like the other gentleman said when leaving port red buoys or gray sticks in this case on your left, when coming back to port keep them on your right
    Last edited by r82ranger; 04-07-2022 at 03:59 PM.

5. Member
    Thank you

How safe is it to run that stretch at various tides?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

7. Member
    No issues as long as you stay in the channel. Like it was mentioned above, not sure if all of the markers are in yet so you may want to take it easy until you run the channel yourself. But plenty of water in the channel at low tide.

Not much water on either side of the channel though, just mud flats.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r82ranger View Post
    all the markers are not in right now, but like the other gentleman said when leaving port red buoys or gray sticks in this case on your left, when coming back to port keep them on your right
    Always Red-Right-Returning.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

The markers are out of place right now. Be careful over there. Heck even I got in the mud for a second.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.