New tin or used fiberglass question…

Iv done a ton of research and been on here a lot the last year or so… anyways First post and iv fished my whole life and been around bass boats but this would be my first of my own. I am having a tough time deciding between a newer (maybe 2019 or so) aluminum prob Xpress x19 or x21 or a used maybe mid to later (2005 or so) used glass in that 19-20 ft range. Looking for opinions from guys that have had both… really I wasn’t considering the tin and never fished out of one (grew up fishing out of Triton) but the new tins look like awesome boats and just had me thinking about the new motor, newer electronics , ultrex, etc with what most are coming with opposed to the glass in those years I’ll save money bc it’ll be a little cheaper but most of the boat will be older and prob motor 12-15 years old. I Live in the Southeast so the normal lakes and rivers we don’t get the rough stuff like you guys on the Great Lakes … storms pop up and it can get rough but not like ocean sees or anything … thanks again and you guys have been helpful way before this post !

2. Member
    I own a 20ft skeeter and just sold my 18ft tracker. There is part of me that is a little regretful about the tracker. It was a great boat for smaller lake hoping. The aluminums have come a long way in recent years. I would go with the newer aluminum. While it's going to cost more you'll still have warranty on the big motor which in my opinion is key. I think most importantly you need to link up with someone who as an xpress or crestliner and go for a joy ride before you make a final decision.

3. Member
    Yea that’s how I was leaning , and eventually I may end up getting a glass but the tin seems a little more forgiving for the first one too, like I’d Said iv been on boat and fished my whole life but this would be the first
    one I owned … and the newer tins look crazy nice and seem to handle bigger water fine for what I see here anyways …I def would like to find someone around here with one to take a ride in I’ll just have to keep my eyes open , iv seen one Vexus at the river but haven’t seen many of the newer xpress

4. Member
    Have you looked at the price of that aluminum Vexus?

5. Member
    I sold my glass boat last summer and purchased a new 19' Vexus aluminum rig. Been very happy so far. But I will add they are expensive like most.

6. Member
    Compare the deck space of most 20 foot glass boat to 20 or even 18 foot aluminum boat and you will find that they have quite a bit more room for their size. Not a fan of Vexus becuse their motors are undersized for how big their boats are, same goes for Ranger. Xpress and Crestliner you can get with adequately sized motors on them, and for cheaper the Tracker 195 with a 150hp is a pretty good combo that will do 60 MPH or more.

7. Member
    Yea they are crazy high imo (everything is right now) but just thinking about the new equipment plus newer motor that I would be paying for … plus being MY first boat beating it around learning may be best… like iv mentioned iv been around and fished on fiberglass my entire life but loading , unloading , by myself being my own boat is the only reason I was leaning to aluminum

8. Member
    Yea I like the looks of the vexus but I’m leaning more towards the xpress if I go aluminum just bc of the track record and can get more power on the 19ft … Avis was another option until I read the reviews about customer service so just decided to email a couple times with simple questions and never heard back… not dealing with that they need to do better if they wanna be taken serious

9. Member
    I fish the TVA lakes so I'm also in the Southeast. I have a 17' Lowe 17HP with a 90hp Opti which I purchased with only 32 hours on it. I have a 21' Skeeter FX21 glass boat with a 250SHO on it. Each boat has its strengths and weaknesses. I've thought about a 19' boat (glass or tin) as a middle ground between my boats and just have one boat that will fit my garage but again both of my boats have advantages. I've been out on Chickamauga many times on the weekend in the 17' tin boat and I've never been afraid, you do have to take it easy, take your time and be sensible but I've made 8 mile runs on the main lake in the middle of a summer day in the tin boat. Would I have rather been in the FX21, sure but what I'm saying is that even my 17' boat worked to get me out fishing. I like the 17' tin length for river fishing and crappie - dock shooting. It is perfect for spotted bass fishing the rip rap on the river, much better than the glass boat. On the other hand of course, if I want to cover a lot of water on the main lake or if I have 2 others fishing with me then the 21' boat is much better. As far as function I don't think you will be at a big disadvantage with a 19' tin boat, at least not for casual tournaments or fun fishing. I don't know really how much difference in price there is between the same year used tin and glass boats equipped the same. Since this is your first boat I think there is an advantage to the easier upkeep and general ruggedness of a tin boat. My next comment may get some flack but I will say that if speed is your thing then go glass. I know the newer tin hulls perform better than the older models but trust me on this. You can't get a tin hull to perform and run bow high on the pad like a glass hull will. Just read some of the performance review of even the new 21' tin boats with 250Hp on them. They are impressive but won't match a 21' performance glass hull with the same power. Good luck!

10. Member
    Thanks! A lot of good info and things to think about … from what I have seen a used glass is what seems to be pretty good condition with a good troller and decent graphs in that 2004-2007 plus or minus range iv found in the 20-25k range , so def more than going newer tin like a 2019-2020 xpress x19 which iv seen loaded in that 45-50k range… but just thinking about the motor life and all the new updated equipment on it that most of em have has me thinking… plus like you said loading and unloading as well as just it being my first true boat I’ll be operating all the time tin seems like a good option… I def don’t need to be a speed demon the 200 on the x19 would be plenty I think, it’ll be fun fishing and occasional tourneys for sure once I learn the lakes better ( grew up fishing the rivers)