Got new Old Man's Boat.

Had to get get rid of Ranger Bass Boat because my balance is poor in boat and difficult to put in garage. Hope this 2022 Ranger 1880 MS Mercury 200 Pro XS will allow me to feel more secure on the lake sitting in it rather than on it. We will see how it all works out, I am excited and hope it fishes well !!!

KAzqiLeBRq+JyBI3MJYzuw.jpg
    520 L TDY

2. Member
    Sharp rig, I got the same one but different color…I really like your color, that wasn’t available when I purchased mine last year…Let me know your GPS top speed…I’m getting 51 ish top speed with the same motor, thought it would hit mid to upper 50’s…

3. Member
    Took Ranger 1880 MS 200 Merc Pro XS out for first time Sunday PM. Wind 10 to 15 MPH. Broke new motor in for two hours and she topped out at 50 mph gps at about 6100 or 6200 rpm which is a little high. My boat was delivered with 3 blade Tempest Plus 17" prop. I thought it would be delivered with a 19" but was not. Hole shot is super fast and mid range very responsive but I don't like running 200 Rpm over suggested limit. Had 500 lbs of Humans , full tank of gas and my fishing gear.
    Like you, thought I would see 52 or 53 GPS but no big deal to me. Don't know whether to get a 19" prop or not at this point a little confused. What size prop do you have and how are you loaded ???
    520 L TDY

If your rpm gauge is analog, it's probably off quite a bit. Suggest adding Vessel View Mobile or have dealer run diagnostics so you can see what your real rpm's are.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

I have a similar rig: 2020 Ranger 1850MS, but powered by a 175 Pro XS and Tempest Plus 19P. With (2) big guys, tackle and a full tank of gas, it runs 48 MPH (GPS) @ 6,000 RPMs (factory tach).

I installed a Level 1 MercMonitor (where the tach was located) and boy was I surprised! At 48 MPH, the engine is actually turning 5,600 RPMs.

I have a Rev4 17P, so I gave it a try and lost 2-3 MPH and 100 RPM.

Until you invest in a MercMonitor or Mercury VesselView, you’re going to be guessing on your RPMs. You may be leaving some performance on the table or pushing the engine near the breaking point.

6. Member
    Thanks guys, good info. I will look into the vessel view for sure !!!
    520 L TDY

The Ranger 1850 & 1880 aren’t “Old Man” boats. I think of them as the “Swiss Army Knives” in the boating world. Their versatility when it comes to fishing, playing, cruising, etc. have made them my favorite boats for years.

8. Member
    I agree, they allow you to do a lot of different things. Great comfortable ride. I enjoy sitting in the boat rather than on top of it. Speed no longer interests me. Been thru several Bullets and other fast boats but speed is no longer important to me. Not knocking the go fast boats they are great and I know their owners enjoy them.
    520 L TDY

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 520TDY View Post
    Took Ranger 1880 MS 200 Merc Pro XS out for first time Sunday PM. Wind 10 to 15 MPH. Broke new motor in for two hours and she topped out at 50 mph gps at about 6100 or 6200 rpm which is a little high. My boat was delivered with 3 blade Tempest Plus 17" prop. I thought it would be delivered with a 19" but was not. Hole shot is super fast and mid range very responsive but I don't like running 200 Rpm over suggested limit. Had 500 lbs of Humans , full tank of gas and my fishing gear.
    Like you, thought I would see 52 or 53 GPS but no big deal to me. Don't know whether to get a 19" prop or not at this point a little confused. What size prop do you have and how are you loaded ???
    Hey there sorry I just saw this…I’m running a 19P prop that came with the boat when I bought it. I’m turning 5850 rpm @ full throttle…I run 50-51 mph fully loaded gas tank, ton of fishing gear (rods & tackle), Ulterra trolling motor, lithium trolling motor batteries, and me (195lbs)…This is in Arizona during the extreme heat…Hole shot is amazing, planes immediately, and gets to top speed pretty quickly…I’m wondering if I go to 20-21p prop if I’d see better results?
    Last edited by YELOSUB; 10-22-2022 at 06:13 PM.

10. Member
    I would think you would get slower speed if you go up in size.
    520 L TDY