ZXR Drain plug failure

It appears my remote drain plug isn’t working. I can assume the cable has become disconnected somewhere making the switch ineffective. Has anyone had this happen and know what I can do to resolve. I’m sure my dealer would fix it but it’s not worth the drive if I can do it myself.

2. Member
    My FXR remote drain plug would never seat all the way no matter how hard I turned. I have to push it in the remaining half inch. Never a big deal to me since I always check the drain plug out of habit.

3. Member
    Take the screws out at the switch and see if the cable came off. You don’t want to crank on these as they can break. Turn it till it gets some pressure and wait for it to click in. If you don’t fill it click or feel it goes in all the way grease the o ri g and that helps a lot.

4. Member
    Mine does the same thing, I just push it the rest of the in like the said above
    2021 Skeeter ZXR21 Yamaha SHO 250
    1993 Ranger 372 Mercury 150 XR6

5. Member
    Same problem with mine (had to push in rest of way and had to manually pry it out). I just had the dealer replace it and now it is working as it should. I noticed before that it seemed to be at a slight angle when new. I tried grease but it would not seat the o ring on it own before.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR-21 with 250 Yamaha SHO, Pro II Power Poles, Atlas Hydro Jack Plate

6. Derek McCullough
    Make sure you put some o-ring lube on every now and then and it will open and shut easier.

7. Member
    Not a fan of this system

8. Member
    Mine did the same thing. Motor blew 2 weeks ago, told the dealer to replace it while we wait for new motor.

Quote Originally Posted by mike petro View Post
    Not a fan of this system
    Just something else to break I'll pass

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Member
    I looked at both ends of the cable and they seem to be attached. Yet the cable still doesn’t move. I’m wondering if it’s kinked somewhere I can’t see. Any other suggestions guys?

11. Member
    Does the handle turn when you try to open and shut it?

12. Member
    Possibility it is cable wrapped with a ty-wrap to other cables in the gunnel.
    You'll have to look at it to see.
    Good luck.

13. Member
    Ok so I figured out what was wrong. I looked closely at both ends. I had to actuate the switch while watching the cable a couple times to see what is wrong. The cable casing has separated from the collar at the switch so there is no resistance on the switch to push the cable. Basically the cable casing is moving vs the cable moving inside the casing. I’ll try to epoxy it back together and all should be good. Hope that helps someone else down the road.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes_I_fish View Post
    Ok so I figured out what was wrong. I looked closely at both ends. I had to actuate the switch while watching the cable a couple times to see what is wrong. The cable casing has separated from the collar at the switch so there is no resistance on the switch to push the cable. Basically the cable casing is moving vs the cable moving inside the casing. I’ll try to epoxy it back together and all should be good. Hope that helps someone else down the road.
    I just had the exact same thing happen with a brand new one from the factory. I added this to my ZX225. I wish now I would have never installed it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes_I_fish View Post
    I've had that happen to mine a couple times. You can gently sand and then superglue the sheath of the cable back into the cable end (or get a new cable). Also, make sure your oring is lubricated. It separates when trying to open the drain.
    -Matt

16. Member
    You can buy these on Amazon. I think I paid and $30. Easy fix. No need to go to dealer.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike petro View Post
    Not a fan of this system
    I was….when it worked correctly. I ain’t a fan now. I installed the original style screw in drain plug.

18. Member
    I installed one in my boat. Been using it for a year. The design needs work. Have to put Vaseline on the threads of the plug every 3 trips to get it to go all the way in with the switch. I've gotten in the habit of checking the plug at the ramp and making sure its all the way in. There is also the risk of accidently moving the switch will allow water to flow into the boat quickly. While I haven't done that, its another risk with this type of plug that you don't have to worry about with the conventional plug. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't install this new plug system.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250