Champlain, Northern End in early May? Where would you fish?

Hoping to get up there this year in early May for smallmouth. I usually go up in August but I am dying for one of those 100 fish days (heck, I'll take 50) I hear this lake can put out. I assume that can happen in early season? I know the northern end from the top of Isle Le Motte up to Rousse's Point the best, and would probably want to stay on the NY side, but I can trailer over to Alburg/Inland sea as well.

2. Member
    I usually dont hit Champlain until the end of May and then again in June. I do however favor the Vermont side. I usually spend a lot of time in the North Hero area and then head North from there. The water narrows which helps with the wind. I have also found that if you find healthy new weed growth near rocks this seems to be the ticket. Most years that is not hard to find but in early May it could be different. We also seem to find the bigger smallies at least 8ft deep. Again this could be different in early May. I have been going there enough years to know as long as the weather does not blow you off the lake that you will catch nice smallies and largies and toothly critters. I am not looking for a 100 a day but give me a bunch of 4+ pounders and I am a happy man. Good luck, tight lines and please report how you do.

3. Member
    Last may around the middle of May we were catching them on beds. In 3 days probably caught 50-60 off beds. Going again this may hoping to catch more on a jerkbait. We also caught tons of LM as well. So may has been good so far.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

4. Member
    This is a little late, but I did go up in May. (12-13) Struggled all day first day before hitting the jackpot around North Hero. Found a wolfpack of smallies and beat up on the same school two evenings in a row. I went back to the same spot in late June and found amazing grass but no fish. I did put my wife and kid on some nice largemouth in the Gut and my wife caught a 4lb smallie, but I failed to find any schools in late June and would just catch random loners.
    Last edited by paul40269; 07-26-2022 at 09:00 AM.