roof maintenance

So I'm thinking this will be the year to perform some roof maintenance on my Travel Trailer. Nothing is leaking or looks to bad, but preventive maintenance is better IMO then reactive. So please help me out.
    What should I be looking to purchase to recaulk all of my vents, skylights, and such?
    Do you guys recommend removing all old caulk and starting from scratch or just applying over the top. Looks like it has been done at least once before on top of original. So I'm guessing this would be the 3rd application.
    Any tips, tricks or things anyone who has done this would like to share, I appreciate the help.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The caulk you use depends on what your roof is made of. TPO and EPDM are the two more common. With EPDM, Dicor sealant is the choice. It comes in several colors, so figure out what you need. There is a self-leveling version for horizontal surfaces, and a non-sag version for vertical surfaces so it doesn’t run. The TPO is brand specific, so get what yours needs. Never use silicone sealant or any product not made for RV roofs.

Start with an inspection. I carry a pocketful of decent sized washers and lay one down everywhere it looks remotely in need of attention.

You rarely need to remove the old stuff unless somebody used the wrong stuff before. You do need to get it clean. I use soap and water with a soft brush, then a cloth dampened with mineral spirits followed by a rinse. This is where the washers come in handy since it may take a day to dry before you can seal and you need to find all the spots again.

The sealants are messy, so be sure you have plenty of rags. I use a bucket to keep the caulk gun in while I’m cleaning or moving around to help control the mess.

It needs to be at least an annual process, and if the trailer is stored outside I’d do it at least twice a year.

I use these to store the caulk. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PQSZ5YH...roduct_details You might get a second or third use out of a tube that way. Nice since it isn’t cheap.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Last one I did I removed all caulking .Roof to front cap I took metal off and put a wider piece on..Caulking peels right up.Use proper caulking .Some use Dicor some use some call for other brands.
    Newer trailer I learned my lesson.They all start leaking within 6months to a year.I put 6 inch eternabond tape on seam when trailer was 2 months from being built.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Last one I did I removed all caulking .Roof to front cap I took metal off and put a wider piece on..Caulking peels right up.Use proper caulking .Some use Dicor some use some call for other brands.
    Newer trailer I learned my lesson.They all start leaking within 6months to a year.I put 6 inch eternabond tape on seam when trailer was 2 months from being built.
    If your Dicor peels right up, something may not have been right with your factory installation. Normally very tedious picking at it and using heat. It can take hours to clean it out around a roof vent for replacement.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    How would I go about determining what the roofing material is made of? Its a white almost texturized material. Guessing its EPDM.
    Trailer is a Kodiak made by Dutchmen 2016.
    Thanks for the replies awesome help.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    How would I go about determining what the roofing material is made of? Its a white almost texturized material. Guessing its EPDM.
    Trailer is a Kodiak made by Dutchmen 2016.
    Thanks for the replies awesome help.
    You can check with the company to be sure. There is a way to tell looking at the edge of the material by taking a vent trim piece off inside, but I don’t know the details.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    I had mine done every 6 months. They caulked and then sprayed a solution on it that ran down the sides so each time they did it they washed it also.
    Paid about $225-250 I think.

8. Member
    I watched a video about eterno tape. It looked interesting.

9. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If your Dicor peels right up, something may not have been right with your factory installation. Normally very tedious picking at it and using heat. It can take hours to clean it out around a roof vent for replacement.
    Check with your RV's manufacturer for the recommended sealant. A lot of manufacturers will post sealant callout sheets for their RVs online. I'm pretty sure that some manufacturers, Winnebago and Tiffin in particular, use a silicone based sealant in at least a portion of their product lines. I've seen cases where improper maintenance was performed with Dicor placed over silicone and, yes, it WILL pull right up!