Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Yep, I’ve seen some get knocked out limp then jump up and I’ve seen some never get off their back. Ones around here get real clumsy, drunk like late in the summer. No idea why?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    Saw it a lot when I was a young lad running in the woods. Even saw the dominate male chase the young males and neuter them.
    Just curious how you know that's what he did.?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    Just curious how you know that's what he did.?
    Well, when the big one bites the little one on the a_ _ end, the little one screams and blood flies what do you think? Be sides that, we would never harvest more than one or two males a year around the large patchs of pecan, walnut and hickory trees.

I've seen it several times while deer hunting. Tough little suckers!
    Darrall Dougherty

Quote Originally Posted by darrall View Post
    I've seen it several times while deer hunting. Tough little suckers!
    But they are fun if you raise them . Just posted in the hunting or fishing thread about being around critters having a pet bob cat for 9 years. Hurricane Floyd hit here dropped a tree with a nest in it somehow a baby stayed in the nest above the water. We made a make shift house after the water went down hoping mama would come around kept it outside for two day realized it was on its own. 1/3 the size of my hand .my guess 3 to 4 weeks old Some how he made it with use using a dropper milk and meal . Thats him on my shoulders about a year later in the morning not one word on bad hard day but I'd take a peanut in my hand move it around that while house coat he would chase my hand up and down side ways trying to get that peanut . Finally decided it was time started leaving the front porch door open he left but would come every morning to get those flipping peanuts . Think it was a she he brought his GF up she would take a peanut out my hand but run about 4 foot away after she got it. She watched him but just never totally trusted me.
    They like anything else can but trained all but that one critter non of us can tame. WOMEN. Thats one of my favorite pictures with the two dogs. My thoughts on this if country boys can tame wild animals why can't some people raise their on kids right. LMAO
    l (14).jpg
    66054078_2830255130533554_649823440873717760_n.jpg
    190TX Tracker 24' Striper offshore
    Southern living. Coastal North Carolina

6. Member
    Sitting on front porch and heard thump in driveway then a crying sound for a second. It was a baby gray squirrel. As I walked over to see it momma ran down & was nudging it toward the base of the tree. She succeeded.

7. Banned
    Ive seen it twice over my years and a fat squirel bounce off a tree it jumped on to climb.
    Last time i hunted squirel 2 were chasing one another. I shot one behind and the other stopped picked it up in its arms looked at me then her twice and then dropped her and run into my brothers bullet. Was the saddest thing id ever saw and havnt hunted them since.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Yep, I’ve seen some get knocked out limp then jump up and I’ve seen some never get off their back. Ones around here get real clumsy, drunk like late in the summer. No idea why?

I had read that racoons will get stoned on fruit that has fermented. Then I saw it in person in my front yard. Looked like Otis from Mayberry stumbling and falling off the neighbors tree.

We have another neighbor with a massive fruit bearing mulberry tree. The squirrels will knock the berries off the branches and the local skunks woodchucks and racoons spend days gorging. At any given time during the peak season a bird flies either to or from the tree every 2 or 3 seconds. It is like O'Hare airport with all the traffic. Hundreds flock to the tree.

I just watched a hawk fly into the tree the opposite side of the mulberry neighbor. He had a squirrel in his talons. About the time he started eating another squirrel braved out on to the limb within a few feet of the giant hawk. The squirrel pissed and moaned a little before retreating. His buddy was already half eaten.

9. Member
    YouTube “Drunk squirrel”. There are quite a few videos. I guarantee your stomach will hurt from laughing!
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    I had read that racoons will get stoned on fruit that has fermented. Then I saw it in person in my front yard. Looked like Otis from Mayberry stumbling and falling off the neighbors tree.

We have another neighbor with a massive fruit bearing mulberry tree. The squirrels will knock the berries off the branches and the local skunks woodchucks and racoons spend days gorging. At any given time during the peak season a bird flies either to or from the tree every 2 or 3 seconds. It is like O'Hare airport with all the traffic. Hundreds flock to the tree.

I just watched a hawk fly into the tree the opposite side of the mulberry neighbor. He had a squirrel in his talons. About the time he started eating another squirrel braved out on to the limb within a few feet of the giant hawk. The squirrel pissed and moaned a little before retreating. His buddy was already half eaten.
    These often lay arms and legs flat out, both on their stomachs and backs, on the porch rails during that time of year. Definitely lowered inhibitions, because you can walk past them without them even thinking about moving. I always thought they looked dehydrated, but there’s a lake full of water 100’ away. They must be on some sort of home brew.

11. Member
    I’ve seen it a few times. Lots of squirrels around my house and they’ll start playing chase through the trees at full speed and ever so often one will either miss time a jump and miss the next branch completely or jump to a limp that’s way too small to support them. See them fall a lot and they all get up and keep on running like nothing happened

12. Member
    On a squirrel side note, I do have an albino one at the house. I don’t know how long squirrels live, but this may be the 3rd one over the last 15 years, unless they live that long and it disappeared for years at a time. I’ve been seeing the most recent one for a few years. I won’t see him for a couple months and think an eagle or hawk finally got him, but then he’ll show up again. You can spot him a mile away.

13. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    A squirrel's drive to go after nuts is relentless.

Dale Sinclair original

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123