Thread: Backwards lakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backwards lakes

I’m watching the classic and they are talking about what ends of the lake warms faster. They said there the river warms faster than the lower end. Around here it’s the opposite. The lower end warms faster than the river parts

Lower lakes around here tend to have clear water compared to the upper ends. The dirty water warms quicker than the clear water.

3. Member
    Fishing Pickwick Friday I saw as much as 6 degrees changes from one area to another. The fish we caught were in the cooler water. Which is not normal this time of year.

4. Member
    I've always had warmer temps in the upper end of a reservoir, or the NorthWest end of a natural lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Lower lakes around here tend to have clear water compared to the upper ends. The dirty water warms quicker than the clear water.
    That’s the way it is here but the river water is always colder.

6. Member
    I'd say that if the "river" comes from the deep water of an upstream reservoir, it will be colder. If the river cones over an upstream dam or is un-dammed, then the river is likely to be warmer.

7. Member
    Lakes here always warm up in upper end first
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Yeah close to the dams the river water is colder as they pull it from the bottom of the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Is that because where you are, the rivers flow from significantly higher elevations?

In flatland reservoirs, that isn't true; the rivers flow over relatively flat, open terrain, where the sun warms the inflow before it arrives at the lake.

10. Member
    Our lake always warms up faster in the river. Dirty water typically warms faster.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Is that because where you are, the rivers flow from significantly higher elevations?

In flatland reservoirs, that isn't true; the rivers flow over relatively flat, open terrain, where the sun warms the inflow before it arrives at the lake.
    Probably so.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Our lake always warms up faster in the river. Dirty water typically warms faster.
    I think it’s part of where I live like musky said.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I fish both days this weekend on my home lake. Although I did not run all the way up into the feeder part of the river I did run up to where the color was a little stronger. I also spent time in the mid lake section. There is a 3* difference between the water near the river and the lower end area. That's pretty typical for this time of year. About 2 weeks ago the temperature difference was 7* after a recent sizable rain. If we have a warm rain the feeder system is always warmer than the lower end main body.
    Last edited by JR19; 03-24-2024 at 06:59 PM.

On average the river part of lies are 10-15 degrees cooler except winter time. Right now they are about 5 degrees cooler. The water in the river peta are coming from the bottom of the lake above it until you get to the first lake which is coming out of the mountains.

15. Member
    Lots of factors to consider. Currents, clarity, depth, and wind direction for starters. Around here, our natural lakes don't tend to have a huge inflow so wind direction can be a major determining factor. It will push the warm surface water to one end of the lake and cooler water will rise to replace the relocated water. If it's calm, then the shallow, weedy areas are where you want to look for warmer temps
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

16. Member
    The ground itself tends to warm the water coming in as it flows over it. Shallow water has more contact for the amount of water vs the lower lake, which has a thermocline due to the depth and temperature stratification.

17. Member
    I know they said at least one of them are warm spring fed, we have several around here that are the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post

Same here.

Lake Taneycomo that is below Table Rock is the way you are. The water flows out from the bottom of the Table Rock dam and is very cold. Although it is more of a wide spot in the river than a lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    the dirty water is from all the chicken poo washing down...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast