Customline Trailer spare tire mount

I have a Customline trailer with the spare tire holder that rides low under the boat. Never had a tire in there. For those that do...how is your spare tire secured? Mine didn't come with anything to keep the tire screwed down. It has the single hole in the middle of the crossbar.

20220227_152534.jpg

2. Member
    If it were mine I would get a lug nut and threaded rod of that size/pitch cut to the appropriate length. I would use red locktite on the lug nut and tighten it down all the way to the threaded rod; then with the spare tire/wheel on the platform and the rod/lug nut piece partially inserted thru the wheel hole, move the wheel into position and the rod should drop thru the drilled hole. Then use a fender washer and nylock nut, or a couple regular hex nuts backed to each other, on the bottom at tighten it down. Use a cable lock for security.

My guess is that if the threaded rod isn't partially inserted into the wheel beforehand, the hull of the boat will be in the way because I'm thinking it'll need be 6-7" OAL.

That's how I would do it.

Edit: looking at the location of that hole versus where the spare is supposed to sit, you may be drilling another hole forward of that.
    Last edited by djb750; 03-08-2022 at 09:56 AM.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

If its like mine the hole on the mount has a nut welded on the bottom. not sure of the size bolt but I think its probably a 1/2" x 10". It has a 1/2"xmaybe 1-1/2" washer and a 3/4" head on the bolt. drop it through one of the lug holes

4. Member
    Mine is exactly like that, I did the long bolt, I also ran a stainless chain and lock with rubber around it to protect the rim from damage of the chain and the spare from the local BOAT RAMP THIEVES.

5. Member
    I used a 1/2x13 stainless bolt on mine.can get it from Fastenall but don't remember how long it was.

6. Member
    I’ve had my Customline tandem trailer since 1998. It has always troubled me that mine doesn’t have a spare tire mount AT ALL!
    I’ve often wondered what I’d do if I had a flat tire when on the road? Guessing the flat tire, and the tire on the other side of the same axle would both have to be removed to be able to travel?

7. Member
    That's where the bolt or hold down goes

8. Member
    I use a stainless bolt, washer, and a locking nut. Pretty sure it is 1/2x13 as mentioned above.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

9. Member
    my bud was coming back from Champlain his bolt snapped that holds down the spare on his customline the spare fell off doing 75 the trailer drove over it and came off the pavement and swirved all over the place. A safety back up cable is a good idea.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

10. Member
    I just used (2) long grade 8 coated bolts. Been working for 19 years now. Never an issue

11. Member
    I wish my Customline tandem trailer had a spare tire mount!! Luckily I've never needed one. This is the only boat trailer I've ever had that was not made with a place for a spare tire. I always wondered about that... It has a carpeted bunk from behind the winch to the center trailer frame. Looks great, but no help if you have a flat tire.

12. Member
    I have a master marine trailer, but it also uses the same hold down method. Look for a J bolt from etrailer, amazon, etc. rjbs_500.jpg
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319