Is 20 oz carpet okay???

I'm thinking of buying pile cut 20 oz boat carpet to recarpet my bass boat. I prefer heavier but could only find 20 oz in the color which matches my existing carpet. I don't want to recarpet inside the storage areas or the back deck, since still in good condition. For those of you who recarpeted with 20 oz, are you happy, and is it lasting? Thanks

I’d get 24 oz from Bass Cat. I recommend it to all my customers.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

I've used 20oz before and was satisfied with it. It still looked great when I sold the boat 4 years after putting it on.

4. Member
    I %100 regret not going with 24oz. Don't get me wrong mine is still holding up very well, but when I see a boat with 24oz I can see the difference and wish I didn't cheap out. and I don't think you will hear many people saying they regret going with the thicker stuff.

I do understand wanting front and back to match. You could always do the front now and the back later on.

Side note.... for compartments I actually pulled all my carpet and put in 1/4 EVA foam. Great for sound, Doesn't absorb water. Drains nicely if you do get water in there (rainy days opening and closing lids) . Keeps the compartments nice and dry.

5. Member
    Just put some padding under it. Padding to 16 or 20 will feel better under foot that 24 with no padding.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

6. Member
    What padding would you suggest for the front deck and side compartments? Do you use the same glue for the carpet or different for the pad? thanks

7. Member
    I used 20 oz carpet and I padded the front and rear decks. I used Pro-Tech padding. It’s closed cell padding. I used contact cement to glue both the padding and the carpet. I haven’t had any trouble with it but Scott S. doesn’t recommend the contact cement for the padding. I can’t recall the glue he recommends. You can search the forum for his suggestions or I’m sure he will reply.

8. Member
    You need a glue that is made to go under padding, weldwood makes one. Shit sprays out like a cob web, or birdsong if you can buy a gallon ( recommended by protech) , it's great glue and acts just like the yellow weldwood. I pulled carpet out of an old ranger, they must a screwed the minn kota foot control down seconds after the carpet was glued down, the glue under the foot control was still wet, unreal.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

9. Member
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

10. Member
    I used the bayshore cut pile 32oz carpet on my zx202c. Lids were a bit tight at first but after a couple weeks they loosened up.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    I used the bayshore cut pile 32oz carpet on my zx202c. Lids were a bit tight at first but after a couple weeks they loosened up.
    hate to sat it, bayshore isn't 32 oz, it's 20 oz. I don't know of anyone that makes a 32 oz cut pile. There are some that do a 40 in a loop, that's more like house boat carpet.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

12. Member
    24oz is thick. You may have to shave it a good bit to get the lids to close where they touch. I re-carpeted my 96 Ranger 487VS with padded front deck. Used Pro-Tech 3/8” virgin…I can stand all day on front end now. Rich at Boatworxva got me the carpet, padding, and birdsong adhesive (in quarts-Huge Win). This was my first time and Rich gave me his cell. He gave me several tremendous tips that saved me a lot of headache, especially when it came to installing the padding and cutting it at an angle. My boat looks amazing for a 30 year old boat!