Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone have a 225 4 stroke on an Alpha 199?

Waiting on a new 225 ProXS 4 stroke.

Curious about Jackplate adjustment.
    Have my 2008 Alpha 199 with 225 ProXS set just right, for me.
    Want to say bottom of pad to prop shaft is right a 3 1/2" - 3 3/4" but I honestly don't remember it's been so long set this way.

Wondering if the new 4 stroke will behave the same way at the same JP height?
    Or if it's a sure thing it will need to be moved up or down for whatever reason.

I've heard prop size will need to be smaller on the 4 stroke.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

i do.
    i added an atlas plate however also so i'm not sure, but generally speaking i'd say it needs to run higher than a 2stroke as it seems to generate a lot of lift. I'm running a 23p fury and ordered a 24p 4 blade to try also. Still trying to dial things in.

Thanks Dude!

Wow, 23p Fury.
    I was surprised when I learned about the prop size for these 4 strokes.

My 25 Fury has worked very well with what I have now.
    Maybe I can get enough money out of my old 25 Fury and 4 blade Trophy to buy a prop for my new engine... LOL

20 thousand dollar engine you wait a year for and ya don't get a propeller.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Yeah, I've heard smaller prop and run it deeper than equivalent 2 stroke. Chance is running Merc 4 stroke Pro XS. You might talk to him about the difference in setup. Course he's running a 250 on a 21' Caymus, but basics ought to be similar.

4stroke are torque monsters. they run a different gear ratio lower unit than the 2 strokes. I get a demo nitro to fish out of every year and had 3 with a 250 4s and they all run 23p fury and will do 77 mph+.

that said the 4s 225 is hard to get max RPMs out of. i think its in the computer because its really just a 250. the low speed control is amazing however. if you ever have to navigate rough water it's insanely good.

Order your prop now, they take 4-6months to get if they aren't in stock :(

as for running lower, i ran my 2stroke about 3.25 below pad. i added an atlas jack plate with the new motor and find that i need to raise it nearly all the way up. i haven't measured prop to pad as i'm still dialing things in. I have an issue with my steering trying to figure out thats keeping me from getting much over 60 without fearing for my life.

6. Member
    I put the 250 4 stroke on my 211R and I am running a 23 fury with no plugs in it top speed is 72-73 depending on conditions. If I run my 24 its sluggish out of the hole but the top speed 76 during this time of year

7. Member
    Came here to ask this exact question, still trying to turn my 225 4s on the 199, have 23 24 25 p fury 3s and a 25 bravo 1 xs. Tried multiple placements of rapid jack placement but I can’t seem to turn more than 5850 in summer. Initial rigging from the shop had the 25 fury on it at 4” below pad, would only turn 5600 but drove like a Cadillac 1 hand steer 73+ until hitting a boat wake then u best be paying attention, best roughwater ride be came touchiest and instead of sitting in the water boat was on top, never even slowed in turns, only reason I looked a change was the straining on motor and safety of my children riding along at the lakes (same sort of steering fear thedude has apparently).

the bravo seems to perform best of the others, fastest hole shot and midrange, will set me back in the seat, but same speed and rpm as the fury 23. The 24 made no noticeable difference from the 23 but handled better and wot speed gained .5mph

no plugs was a must on the fury props the bravo will blow out with only 3 plugged.

fwiw I was coming from a 225pro xs at 3.75 p2p w 25p/26p fury doing best speeds of 76 light 73 typical tournament and 6000 rpm so it’s been a slight disappointment so far.

also made the mistake of light load setup one round and it was scooting at 2.5 p2p w fury 25 but come tournament day was nosediving and burning gas awful.

asked around at a local tournament Saturday and everyone there running a 4s merc is saying they are hard pressed to hit 6000 anytime.

8. Member
    One thing we had to do was take it back to the shop after the initial install and adjust the hot foot to get full throttle.

yes the boat feels very loose over 60, not like it did with the 2s. Lowering the jackplate raises it further out of the water, so i've been running mine fairly high (drop down to take off, raise up once on plane). This is the case in rough water also, likes to be up high but still tons of control.

my steering issue currently - besides having air creeping into system - is that over 60 any slight change can send the boat into what feels like a chine walk, however it only walks to left and then wants to continue diving in that direction. letting off the throttle feels like you're skipping across the water. its a very unnerving feeling and i've had it happen on glass when hitting a tiny wake. Its like the keel doesn't bite at all and then suddenly connects and you have to be ready for it. My 2s i could barely turn the wheel over 65 and could drive hands free if i wanted, this one turns effortlessly.

A guy on a FB group has one with a 24 4blad fury - he said he was getting 72+ and runs on rails. so i'm hoping the 4blade is the solution. i have one on order, hoping to have it this season.

10. Member
    following this, as u describe exactly what i experienced with the 25 deep, i cant afford to keep buying props to test lol

for now will get my nib 23p fury3 set best and let it ride a while, shipped the bravo for trailer work but its still around for some runs if i get froggy, i had even considered finding a local tempest to see how it does since it usually lifts and carries weight better than fury. w a 23p i might even get close to limiter with that one, its just all the bassers have 25-27p so ill have to find a bay or other boater.

keep posted on it please.

i should be on mine again next saturday and after ill put up hard numbers of conditions, p2p, prop, weight, gps, performance, etc for reference. thanks.

i actually think the 23p turning more revs in the water compared to the 2s gives too much lift. thats my theory anyway. i'm not a boat hull expert, but feels like this is designed to have more hull in the water rather than typical nitro/ranger style hulls which are designed to run on a tiny pad in the back.

I was considering a tempest also, but as you said - i would expect a fury to have less lift, but who knows. hoping the 24 4blade pans out.

i wish the hub wasn't so different from the 2s, i have a buddy that just got that prop for a 2s i could try but don't want to dick with pressing the hub out of mine.

12. Member
    Just for reference numbers, my first two trips this year 3.5” p2p 23p fury 3:

#1 - water temp 64-65,air 65-70, basically slick, I turned 5990 rpm for 72.1 gps empty livewell full gas 2 men, dropped to 5800 rpm 69.7 gps after filling the well.

#2 - water temp 62-66, air 50-70, chop, I turned 5900 rpm for 71.3 gps empty livewell 7/8 gas 2 men tournament heavy, dropped to 5830 rpm 69.1 gps

holeshots suffered both times after livewell fills
    just seems 22p would work better for mine in a fury3 but even then I’m thinking the fury just can’t carry weight
    the one contrarian thought is that I was actually able to stay on the throttle better with the boat loaded heavier, I.e. less scooping. Steering still looser than what I had on the 2S however.
    also noticed some want to chine at WOT so I might play w my depth more. The 2S never even thought about walking, one finger steering.

another point, my 2S only had the analog tach that would get to 6000-6100 but I’m noticing now with the mercmonitor that 5800 digital tach is showing 6000+ on the analog, food for thought.

Thanks for the info fellers. I'm still waiting on my engine but since I have yet to get many real life experiences with same boat and engine I went ahead a made a decision to start with a 23P Tempest Plus.
    Will report back if my new engine gets here before I die.

14. Member
    Let me know what you see. I’m having trouble locating a 23 tempest local to test. Last trip was Saturday and average loaded, full gas, was seeing 72+ gps and 6000 rpm, after livewell fill it was still 71.5+ but around 5800 rpm, hole shot suffering slightly. Water and air temps were both 60*-70* throughout. I may try to get a bit more pvs coverage, it’s alllmost wanting to blow out on break over at 3800 rpm. Still loosely goosey trimmed higher than say 5.5 on the mercmonitor trim, but 4.5 is solid for a nice cruising speed.

Got my engine yesterday.
    Did the first two hrs of break in today.
    Don’t have any solid numbers to provide due to following the break in procedure. But, couple observations from today.
    Running a 23 Tempest Plus.
    25 gallons of gas, my tackle and my old lady riding shotgun.

Noticed right off the bat as I was idling away from the ramp, the bow is riding high big time. Reminded me of my old Champion.
    I thought the hole shot was great actually, considering I really didn’t shower down on it.

The few times at WOT I managed to see ~5600 R’s but was almost a chore to get it that high.
    The trim position and adjusting is hard for me to figure out. I could tell by the sound of my 2 stroke about where my engine was trimmed. It almost seemed like the trim adjustment was way more sensitive, maybe not, maybe more time in the saddle will sort that out. ??
    It’s also hard to tell by turning around and looking at it because of the different cowling design.

Top end speed I’ll have to wait until after break in for a better idea.
    With my old lady in the boat and more concerned with the break in time clock, I didn’t pay much mind to speed.
    I do know my last run at WOT where I saw 5600, speed was 67.5.

That’s nowhere close to my old engine, but not a fair comparison given the situation today.
    Same water conditions and time of year the old engine would have been 5800-6000 R’s and 71-73 mph.

All I got for now.

About the bow riding high, should I raise or lower the manual JP and how might it affect the above #’s from the Maiden Voyage?

Or, run it as is a bit more until I get a better feel for this engine.

i'd run it more, but if you raise the jack plate it will generally bring the bow down. A tempest will want to run a bit lower i think than a fury.

I finally got my 4 blade 24p fury and its running A LOT better that the 23 fury. Still great hole shot and much more stability. Can also take off without the jack plate being all the way down and not blow out. Haven't had a chance to open it up to see what top speed is but so far a big improvement. I will keep the 23 for rough water probably as it had tons of low speed handling and bow control.

17. Member
    Old thread, new info, looking more.

got my throttle adjusted, was only seeing 94%. Now at 100%. Also the steering jam nut got tightened 3/4 turn.

run- 55* water 50* air 3.5 p2p max 6000 rpm 74.5 gps great holeshot very much improved acceleration, could get to 72 gps effortlessly at half trim
    maxing trim is manageable but requires attention. Steering much safer feeling with still very easy smooth handling, mainly because of the boat being out of the water.
    didn’t think to fill the wells and try, but half gas was a success.
    still wondering how to hit 6200 rpm as all my family seem to be doing with their 250fs hung on rangers. I’m still faster :)
    i believe I make raise the motor a bit next and see how she likes it. Rpm up and bow down could be a winner.
    Other options still considering are a 23 tempest I have access to and the 4 blade furies I currently do not.

can you elaborate on what you mean by the steering jam nut?

also how did you adjust the throttle (like hot foot stopper or something under the cowl)

Still running the 23 Tempest Plus.
    Prop to pad at 3 1/4”

A struggle to get to 65 mph, R’s around 5800 at best. The big problem was major bow hook if you lifted the throttle. I mean bite a hole in the seat with yer ass bow hook. Never had this boat done that.
    Screw that, come up on manual JP to 3 1/2” .
    Pretty much eliminated the bow hook ordeal but same song second verse on speed and r’s.

I went in to get the engine and gearcase oil changed at 20 hrs and had them check my throttle output. Told him I just couldn’t believe the 2 stroke set at 3 1/2 - 3 3/4” below pad would run 72 and 6k r’s effortlessly and this slug ain’t getting close to that.
    He checks and I’m getting 94% . Have to change out the Hot Foot. WTF?
    I was insistent on them checking that when they swapped engines and was told it was getting 98% so something ain’t adding up about all that.

Waiting for them to get another part (trim sensor magnet gizmo) from mother Mercury and will have a different foot throttle installed then .

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    i'd run it more, but if you raise the jack plate it will generally bring the bow down. A tempest will want to run a bit lower i think than a fury.

I finally got my 4 blade 24p fury and its running A LOT better that the 23 fury. Still great hole shot and much more stability. Can also take off without the jack plate being all the way down and not blow out. Haven't had a chance to open it up to see what top speed is but so far a big improvement. I will keep the 23 for rough water probably as it had tons of low speed handling and bow control.
    I had some play in the connection between the hydraulic cylinder and motor Mount, the hotfoot was adjusted to allow more travel toward the driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast