Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    Still running the 23 Tempest Plus.
    Prop to pad at 3 1/4”

A struggle to get to 65 mph, R’s around 5800 at best. The big problem was major bow hook if you lifted the throttle. I mean bite a hole in the seat with yer ass bow hook. Never had this boat done that.
    Screw that, come up on manual JP to 3 1/2” .
    Pretty much eliminated the bow hook ordeal but same song second verse on speed and r’s.

I went in to get the engine and gearcase oil changed at 20 hrs and had them check my throttle output. Told him I just couldn’t believe the 2 stroke set at 3 1/2 - 3 3/4” below pad would run 72 and 6k r’s effortlessly and this slug ain’t getting close to that.
    He checks and I’m getting 94% . Have to change out the Hot Foot. WTF?
    I was insistent on them checking that when they swapped engines and was told it was getting 98% so something ain’t adding up about all that.

Waiting for them to get another part (trim sensor magnet gizmo) from mother Mercury and will have a different foot throttle installed then .
    early on I hooked the bow a couple times when not properly turning as the 2s always kept a lot of boat in the water anyhow, just needed to get the bow down before the turns as I head up the river….with the 4s the boat wants to stay on pad only quite insistently which I think could definitely increase the odds of hooking when slowing or turning, but I have definitely been able to take turns faster because the bow stays out throughout now… my brother went from a skeeter to a ranger and had to learn the bow hook potential quickly, as his composite would slide thru turns and the rangers ride bow deep. Sliding is always faster but bow down sure feels safer; And then there’s the high banking javelin of my dads, an altogether different sort of feeling lol

The bow hook I experienced had absolutely nothing to do with turning.
    Happened when lifting off the throttle / hot foot, key word here is lifting. I'm not talking just chopping the throttle, just lifting a bit while running straight with engine trimmed up pretty good,

My boat handled like a sports car in turns the way it was set up with the 2 stroke and I've not noticed it being much different with the 4 stroke. Granted, this applies to properly trimming down before you crank it in to a turn.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

this has been my experience as well - anything over 60 - even like a 6" boat wake remnant on flat calm would grab the bow - not something my 2s ever had an issue with, even at 70.
    that said i've been really happy with handling under 60 just would like to figure that part out.

4. Member
    I will have to test mine more on boat wakes but it currently handles the wind chops pretty well, but there is definitely more side to side play when decelerating than in times past. This thing used to be the best rough ride ever doin 70 in 2’ers, now it’s more like 70 in 1/2’ers nothing more. Still comes back to the riding on top rather than in the water in my mind. 2s ride was as flat as any I’ve ever experienced basically plowing through the water and spraying from the driver seat where now I’m not spraying before the transom. I prefer the not riding the pad version of this boat, even with the stiff handling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12