Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDS Gen 3 and HDS Carbon ethernet set up with SS 3d

HI,
    Im sure this must have been posted before. So apologies. I currently have a 7” HDS Gen 3 at console with a standard 83/200? And a Structure scan 3d. Im adding a HDS 12” Carbon on bow. On trolling motor in front I have a HDI skimmer for now…(Ghost in my future?!). My ethernet wiring is as follows

Console hookup
    SS3d is hooked up to 3D module.
    Skimmer is hooked to back of Gen3 (blue Lock)

From there I have an Ethernet from NET-1 (Yellow Lock) to HDS Carbon on bow (Yellow Lock)

BOW
    As above Have Ethernet (Yellow Lock) connecting both units
    I have a HDISkimmer on trolling motor connected (Blue Lock) to Unit

I left the N2K info off purposely

SO If set up this way shouldnt I be able to share the SS3D from Console to Bow and also when at Bow select whether I want the Skimmer on the trolling motor and/or look at the SS3D?

If so, then I must not have understood some of the videos out there on how to set up the HDS Carbon and HDS Gen 3 to do this.

any help would be greatly appreciated…or minimally one of the videos out there that explains how to set up both units

Thanks
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

2. Member
    As long as your Gen 3 and the SS3D-module is updated to software 18.2 (or higher), and you have power to both module and units, yes everything will share across ethernet.

3. Member
    In reading your post, it says you have the console Gen 3 networked to the bow Carbon by Ethernet. You do not mention how you have the StructureScan 3D module networked to the units. Most people run Ethernet from both units to the module. If you don’t have it that way, you can share maps and sonar between the units but StructureScan is not available. The only way to share those images is from the module over Ethernet. Maybe I misunderstood but you should not have Ethernet running between the Gen 3 and Carbon directly.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

4. Member
    I have both units tethered together with ethernet cable. The gen3 is connected to the 3D SS module but the Carbon is not. So should both units have ethernet connected to each other AND the carbon have ethernet to 3d module too? If so do i use the yellow lock to back of carbon and NET-2 on 3d module?

i want to be able to share waypoints, sonar, 3d etc
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

5. Member
    As NoCAL stated, use the StructureScan3D box as a hub. From the 3D box run one ethernet cable to the console unit, and from another port of the 3D box run an ethernet cable to the bow unit. Make sure you are using the latest updates, and don't forget to update the StructureScan3D box as well. Down the road when you add Active Target you can connect the AT Box to the remaining ethernet port on your 3D box. I have several videos on my YouTube channel (search my name) that show my setup.
    ciao,
    Marc

6. Member
    Thanks so much!!! Ill look at your videos
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

7. Member
    Everything seems to work except updating the structure scan. Ive downloaded the file to the micro SD card...I select the .riw file and select upgrade. It never comes up to select Ive tried downloading to the Micro card via a Mac and my Windows computer. Didn't make a difference. I went to to pages and looked at the Structurescan for what version i have and can't find anywhere. I also went to Sonar and can't find either. Any ideas?
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtmoore7167 View Post
    Everything seems to work except updating the structure scan. Ive downloaded the file to the micro SD card...I select the .riw file and select upgrade. It never comes up to select Ive tried downloading to the Micro card via a Mac and my Windows computer. Didn't make a difference. I went to to pages and looked at the Structurescan for what version i have and can't find anywhere. I also went to Sonar and can't find either. Any ideas?
    Did you follow this video?

ciao,
    Marc

9. Member
    Thanks for link.. that’s exactly what i did! Im at a loss. I tried on my gen3 and carbon with same results..
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

10. Member
    Thanks for link.. that’s exactly what i did! Im at a loss. I tried on my gen3 and carbon with same results..
    Since it didn't work with both of your units, I would try a different microSD card and download the update (.riw file) again to the card, then see if you can select it on your units. If you can't select it I would suspect the card or the download was the problem (use Google Chrome to download the update from the Lowrance page).
    ciao,
    Marc

11. Member
    Thanks Marc ill give both a try!
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

12. Member
    Well did both and tried multiple (3 different cards) Micro SD cards. I tried on the HDS Gen 3 on console then on the new Carbon in front. Neither will pop up…. Is it possible there is something I did wrong to connect the network together? All the lights on the 3d module are on. At this point Im just tempted to keep as it is but sure would like to figure out. Im going to search again on how to network and see if ok…just an FYI my waypoints did share
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

13. Member
    What are you trying to do? Install the module update?
    Download the file off the website to your hardrive using Chrome or IE. Not Safari
    Drag the file to an EMPTY mSD card
    Turn on the HDS and the Structure module
    On the HDS go to Pages, Storage and locate the file on the mSD card
    Select the file and hit Update. There is another step, after hitting update you have to select the check box and hit Update again in the lower right I think. Then it will update the module automatically

Please clearly state all you are trying to do and what equipment you have for the best possible assistance
    2B112175

14. Member
    I have a HDS 9 Gen 3 on console and a HDS 12 Carbon in front. Im trying to update the StructureScan module 22.1. I have followed the instructions you have and also compared to the video above as well. Ive tried 3 different Micro sd cards and am using Chrome. I can see the file on card when I insert. I highlight and say upgrade. It goes to the next page were you should see the file and click but its not there. I also tried to disconnect the carbon and just try the gen 3 and visa versa but that didnt work either. Hope that is a bit clearer
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

15. Member
    Sorry, I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve literally done hundreds of updates and never had an issue. Have no idea why yours isn’t working. Maybe Marc can figure it out.

NoCAL
    2B112175

16. Member
    Thanks for looking at though! I think ill try a few more things… buy a 4th micro card. And im just wondering if i my network set up wrong… but saying that both hds do see the structure scan… albeit in garage you dont see anything.

really appreciate everyones help!
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

17. Member
    Thanks for looking at though! I think ill try a few more things… buy a 4th micro card. And im just wondering if i my network set up wrong… but saying that both hds do see the structure scan… albeit in garage you dont see anything.

really appreciate everyones help!
    Let's try and simplify your issue. Please connect an ethernet cable from your StructureScan 3D Box to one unit (your choice, console or bow). Then load the card in a slot and choose that slot to display the card's .riw file. Then do a screenshot and post the picture of what you see after you select the .riw file. IF you don't know how to post a screenshot at least post a photograph of your screen so we can see what you are seeing.

I highly recommend connecting both bow and console units directly to the ethernet ports on the StructureScan3D box instead of daisy-chaining them.
    ciao,
    Marc

18. Member
    Well interesting. I have attached the 3 pictures, One with the picture of sd card view with .riw file, second with pop out offering upgrade and third is the view that shows no .riw available. I tried this with each unit only and same result.

As far as connections I have both the HDS Gen 3 and the HDS carbon plugged into the 3d module...not directly. Is that incorrect? or should they be plugged directly to each other then to the 3d module?

Finally Im going to post one more video or link that shows something real interesting as far as lights on the module itself

1.jpeg2.jpeg[3.jpeg[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

19. Member
    as a follow up above Ive attached a youtube link to view. To add some explanation. When I turned unit on transducer lights on Right were both off. So I unplugged and replugged in..lights went on and were solid in color as well as net 1 and net 2. As soon as went to my gen 3 unit and hit Structure scan all lights started to blink. I then removed each of the net work lights one by one and continued to get same results. I wonder if its not a software issue but something happened to structure scan? As Ive said before, Im in my garage and not on water. Structure scan seems to be working (I.e I can see it scrolling) but nothin else

Hopefully link works..If not let me know how to share

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5n6r92bzg...ights.mov?dl=0

lights blinking after touch the GEN 3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mkbh05bdc...arbon.MOV?dl=0
    Last edited by Rtmoore7167; 02-26-2022 at 03:21 PM. Reason: uploading video
    Ranger VS 1780
    Yamaha FX115
    Tohatsu 8.0

20. Member
    Based on my files, there is something off with your download. I would go back and download it again. My reasons are:
    1. the file should read StructureScan3D-22.1-65.1.14-Standard-1.riw you need to get rid of that (7) I see in yours
    2. the file should be 53.4 MB, yours is only 50.9

That is all I can think of.

NoCAL

edit: I just went and downloaded it again and it is for sure 53.4 MB. There is an issue with your download.

Another edit: you now have your network set up correctly. A single Ethernet cable from each unit running to the structurescan module. That part is correct. The units don’t need Ethernet between them. BTW, if you are going to get a Ghost, you will need NMEA. Might as well get it in!
    Last edited by NoCAL; 02-26-2022 at 03:56 PM.
    2B112175

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast