Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Garmin vs Lowrance trolling motor

Hello. Looking for some opinions on these models. How is the foot pedal tension on the Garmin? Ive used a ghost a few times and very impressed and would like to hear if the Force compares. Thanks for your help!!

The Garmin tension is lighter than the Ultrex and Maxxum I have used. After a couple of trips I got use to the Garmin feel and really like it. I have not used a Lowrance for a comparison.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

3. Banned
    I don't have a comparison to the ghost but I absolutely LOVE my Garmin trolling motor. I had one problem with the foot pedal connecting so I called customer service for some troubleshooting. We couldnt get it to work so a couple of days later I had a new one at the doorstep.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Ghost all the way!!!!!! If you have Lowrance units even BETTER!
    Last edited by limit5bass; 02-13-2022 at 08:02 AM.

5. Member
    Everyone is going to have their own opinion. People who own a Ghost will naturally say they like the Ghost better and the same way for the Force.

In all honesty... you need to pick the trolling motor that matches your graphs as it will integrate with you electronics and you'll be able to use the Full power of the unit.

For example... You won't be able to use the new Ghost 360 feature if you're running Garmin graphs.

As far as my opinion goes... I've owned the Ultrex and now the Garmin Force. The Garmin Force is head and shoulders better than the Ultrex. I have Garmin Graphs and it seamlessly integrates with everything. The foot pedal is great. Took me about 30 minutes to get use to. I love how its completely wireless. Its a lot less clutter at the bow of the boat.
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

6. Member
    Both are great units. I would go with a match to your other electronics for networking. I have the Garmin Force and LOVE IT. But, I have it networked to my Echo Ultra Maps 126sv and 106sv. If you are going to be upgrading electronics in the future, go with the one that be networked, i.e. Lowrance or Garmin.

7. Member
    Consider not just networkability, but also access to good service, because, at some point, they will all require some repair.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    Hello. Why do you guys think that networking is so necessary? Ive personally never used this before. usually its spot lock only.

9. Member
    I use it for the "navigation go-to"

10. Member
    I have not used a Force but have used a Ghost for one season. The reason I bought the Ghost over a Force or Ultrex is due to the build quality of the Ghost and how Lowrance does cable management. To me, the Force is worse than the Ultrex which is bad in terms of a coiled cable at the head that moves. If I had to buy a new TM after running the Ghost for a year, I would buy another Ghost in a heartbeat and not even look at the other brands including the unicorn PP offering that is coming out "eventually"
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

11. Member
    I don't know anything about the Force but If it is better than the Ghost I would be amazed, the Ghost is by far and away better than any motor I have had.

12. Banned
    The ghost runs either 24 or 36 volt, just one of the great options the ghost has.

13. Member
    Why do I think networking is so necessary? Great question...

In my opinion, if you're only using your trolling motor for "spot lock" your not using it to its fullest potential. You pay a premium price for these trolling motors you may as well get every bit of your moneys worth.

An example of a great networking feature: I love having the ability to literally tap on my Garmin map and tell my trolling motor to take me to that exact spot. If I had a Ghost or an Ultrex I couldn't do that. For offshore guys this is great!
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreydavisjr View Post
    Why do I think networking is so necessary? Great question...

In my opinion, if you're only using your trolling motor for "spot lock" your not using it to its fullest potential. You pay a premium price for these trolling motors you may as well get every bit of your moneys worth.

An example of a great networking feature: I love having the ability to literally tap on my Garmin map and tell my trolling motor to take me to that exact spot. If I had a Ghost or an Ultrex I couldn't do that. For offshore guys this is great!
    Why can't you network with ghost? I can, no issue at all.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by limit5bass View Post
    Ghost all the way!!!!!! If you have Lowrance units even BETTER!

OH !! I forgot to mention I have personally used all 3 and Ghost is #1, Ultrex #2, Force #3.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammy19 View Post
    Hello. Why do you guys think that networking is so necessary? Ive personally never used this before. usually its spot lock only.
    Same here, and I have all of those features available. Especially with having livescope, if I want to move spots I like being able to sweep scan and ready to cast the entire way. Autopilot navigation stops you from doing that. I suppose if you had a separate pole for the livescope you could still do that, but it’s just another thing to fiddle with / break.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

17. Member
    Thanks for the input fellas!!

18. Member
    Garmin if you have garmin graphs... I do and it's great

19. Member
    RMP has comparison YouTube video on them!
    Ghost is 10lbs lighter (important if your boat lacks bow lift).
    Ghost foot pedal has more options and configurations.
    Force is true to thrust rating and has more power.
    Force is beefed up and stronger mount. Hence the extra weight.

Those are the 2 advantages I noticed.
    I’m still holding out to see the unicorn �� unless I find a good deal be someone is switching out units or something.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos273v View Post
    The ghost runs either 24 or 36 volt, just one of the great options the ghost has.
    So does the Garmin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast