Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Update. Hit 64.6 with a tail wind and 62.5 with a massive headwind last weekend. Full weight, ran into some chine walk. I'm going to bump the motor up a bit on the jackplate and see if that pushes the chine walk out further and if I can get solidly into the 65-70 range. At this point if I pulled some gear it would run faster.

Running a 25 pitch 4 blade prop. RPM was 5400-5500rpm. WP 20psi per gauge. Motor has 580 hours on it. Hole shot is great.

2. Member
    A z7 with a 200 set up properly will run 70 all day everyday. Cool rare boat congrats. 25 fury 4 would be a great all around prop
    2017 Z18
    175 ProXS
    Dual Poles
    Ultrex
    2 Garmin 93SV+

3. Member
    I have the same boat as you and I’ve got a 6” slide master on mine and a 25 Fury three. Before my power head ate three reeds it was a low it mid 70’s boat. Just me a little gas and a life jacket I’ve had it up to almost 76 and it was a handful. It should run 70 all day long with a tournament load.
    That being said I’ve got a new power head with about 25-30 hours and I can’t get above 63-64 so I just installed a 25 Tempest from a fellow BBC and I’m gonna run it Sunday to see. With the 25 Fury and VesselView I was taching 5700 rpm’s. Redline on these motors are 5750 so it was setup right. Now I’m only turning 5300-5400.
    Last edited by howard47; 02-17-2023 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Add pictures

4. Member

2.75 is to hi, will loose bow lift, start at 3.5
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Still learning this boat and messing with it. 63.5 mph @5640 rpm. Water presure seems fine 20+. Note sure if I want to go higher or lower. I've never seen this boat rooster tail, ever.

With the 10" manual jackplate I am wondering if that is just too much setback. I've got 1 12' talon on the back and even with the lithiums the boat really sits stern back. Maybe it's time to go to a 6" hydraulic jackplate so I can drop the motor for holeshot and raise it up for better command/top end? (Plus another 4" of space in the garage would be nice if it doesn't kill performance).

I really just want to get this thing to consistantly touch upper 60's, lower 70's as all the "newer" boats do this. Motor seems very strong, 584 hours on it. Guess I could compression test it, but idle and throttle performance is great. Maybe reed upgrades?

Another annoying thing "back there" is when I come off pad. I get some bucking/surging sometimes. Could just be operator error though or potentially something off with the tilt/trim (not sure what to check)

I could also look at ditching the Talon and moving to lighter weight Power poles to get some weight off the transom. I could ditch some gear as well, save some weight in it as she's loaded heavy right now. Maybe I'll do that next, take out as much weight as I can and do some lake tests to see if I'm just chasing my tail and need to run with less gear. I'd also like a lower "minimum plane" speed as anytime I drop under 30-32mph she sinks in the water, maybe that isn't feasible but it would be nice to be able to stay "up" at 25ish on some of these really tight lakes/trails I run.
    Last edited by swannyoutdoors; 06-12-2023 at 10:34 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Who ever
    had the boat before you, may set the motor up high to make up for the 10 inch plate.
    Normal 6-8 inch plate is good for your boat

That 10 inch is sitting way back there.
    The more I pilot the boat the more I think this might be spot on. Doing some research compairing 6 vs 10" setbacks.

8. Member
    Ordered a Bob's 8" setback hydraulic jackplate as that seems to be the popular option. Will report back with results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12