Johnson J175GLETG Prop Selection

Looking to get a 4 blade prop for my 175 Johnson Fast Strike. I have found a used OMC Renegade 13.5” x 23P that o was thinking about purchasing. Wasn’t sure if anyone had any recommendations. My boat is a 19’ Charger.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What you spinning for RPM on your current prop and what is it? If you are going from a 3 blade you'll need the thrust washer for the Gade and you may need a weed ring to help with hole shot.

3. Member
    Not sure on the hole shot RPM since I haven’t fixed my gauge yet. My current prop is a 3 blade Raker 24P and I am chin walking around 50mph until I trim pretty much all the way down. I noticed that my current prop is 14-1/2”. Does that mean I need to be looking for props that are 14-1/2” or will a weed guard fix the size difference?

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The Gade will be a smaller diameter as the prop ears are smaller than the Raker's. So is the barrel thus the need for a weed ring. The Raker is thru hub and the Gade is an over the hub prop. Meaning the Raker's exhaust gases go thru the hub and the Gade's go over the barrel.

5. Member
    Oh okay that makes sense. Do you have a preference on a brand/pitch/blades for a 19’ Charger?

6. Member
    And would I be safe to say that I will need a 0128777 4 blade thrust bushing?

7. Member
    I am sure you mean to say ‘chine walking’. In my experience a chine walking boat can be caused by setup or motor mount issues, or loose steering issues or (no disrespect) a driver who does not know how to drive through the chine walk.
    Do you have have hydraulic steering or twin cable mechanical steering?
    A 4 blade prop may not be the solution to your issue.
    tell us more about the engine setup- installation height, jack plate?
    Is this a new issue for you?

8. Member
    Yes sorry, the steering is fine (SeaStar Hydraulic), the motor mount might be the issue. I do not have a jack plate but that is probably my next option. The motor is set up about an inch high off of the back of the boat. I may try and lower it down the inch to make it sit flush on the back of the boat. I was told a 4 blade prop may give me more traction on turns since that is when I am having to trim down and decelerate.

9. Member
    The advice on the 4 blade is correct. You will get better traction in turns. It also help to balance out steering torque.
    The old rule of thumb for going from 3 blade raker to 4 blade renegade was to drop one inch in pitch. So yes the 23 grade is the choice. The diameter difference was to help keep wot rpm similar to the different styles.
    yes you will need the small thrust washer.