Fishing pontoon in my future (?)

I’m on the lookout for a fishing pontoon so I can take my dad comfortably. I’ve looked at quite a few brands and I keep coming back to an 18’ Bass Tracker Bass Buggy. These seem to hit the sweet spot for me in regards to layout, features, etc. I’ve seen where people discuss the waning quality of Bass Tracker boats, but I’ll be looking for a used one. Any recommendations or issues to be aware of? TIA!

2. Member
    We love ours. It's a 2016 18DLX Bass Buggy with a Mercury 60hp EFI. Takes rough water well and is fuel efficient. It's not a speed demon but it gets us from A-B and back. We added a table and I upgraded the electronics and TM.

I have a Ranger 200C with a 90. It is my first pontoon and I cannot imagine having a smaller motor. These buggers get blown by the wind bad. I went with a Ranger due mainly to the powder coated logs and their easy cleaning. They are fun, awesome cruising machines. You may have a tough time finding a used one. They are scarce!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    The bigger logs make a smoother ride and sit up higher. As stated get as big a motor as you can afford. I had a Crest with plugs in the logs/tubes in case one got a hole in it so it would still float. Mine had carpet but I wish it had sea deck or something else. It would have been so much easier to keep clean and neat. Hope that helps.

5. Member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I found a Weeres 18 foot with a 60 Mercury EFI that I think will work out quite well. Now I have to wait for the 12+ inches of snow to melt.

6. Member
    How's it working out for you ?
    Can you post some pics of the layout?
    I'm contemplating a 14' - 18', with a max of a 25hp, for smaller - restricted lakes.

7. Member
    I can’t locate any pics off the web that shows the layout, but there are pedestal seats in each or the four corners and livewell between the two back seats. I removed the left rear seat so coolers, etc can be stored out of the way. We’ve been having a ball fishing out of the boat this summer. I can take my 88 year old dad out for a day of fishing, and unlike a traditional boat, dad can walk around to stretch bis legs and take a nap under the canopy if need be. Best decision ever.

34DCF1CE-149E-47FD-9AED-9B749898DAC9_1_201_a.jpegHere's my Ranger and I love it ,.
    Last edited by LTZ25; 08-26-2022 at 10:45 AM.

9. Member
    Have a Harris 20' and fished off it for a few years until a smaller pond prowler showed up. Couple of things.......get the largest trolling motor if you are going fish a whole bunch. It would be great to get a spot locker but the power drive works great also. These fishing pontoons are great in skinny water until a decent wind shows up then it is like a sail. Second.....if you are going to tow it a few times a year get a dual axle trailer or scissor trailer. Makes life so much easier to store and tow.