Question Mega DI / Mega DI+ max depth

Hello,

Has someone already experimented Mega DI or Mega DI+ offshore ?
    I'd like to use this technology around 300'/350'. Is it possible ? What is the max depth this technology is still "usable" ?

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I don't know if you have Helix or Solix but the Solix G3 spec for DI+ maximum depth is 250 feet but I think you would be hard pressed to get reliable/useful returns at that depth. For deeper water (in my case, 150' is the deepest part of my lake), I use the 455Khz and the Solix G3 depth spec for that is 800ft. Although the 455Khz detail isn't as good as Mega+, the strength of return for anything over 100' outweighs the lower detail.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking to image. If it is fish in the water column, the 455Khz does a much better job of that anyway. If it is bottom structure detail, then 455 will be lower quality but much further distance.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    Steve, exactly right. It depends if you are looking for icebergs or a 14" trout! When you display an image at 300' you will not get much detail, no matter what frequency. The lower frequencies will get a signal from a farther distance. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    Thanks for your answers.
    Still haven't bought my bird unit.
    Before that I just wanted to know whether this technology (on helix or solix) is able to reach the bottom in 455kHz and to return a pretty clear image if the bottom is rocky or if there is a wreck.