Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fastest Rough Water Kitty

So we all know BCB run good and run good on smooth to ripple water.

Which model(s) run the fastest with the least amount of kidney crippling in rough water?

The rough water I'm taking about is either wind driven in a 1-2ish foot chop OR watercraft driven on some of our highly used lakes?

I've got an 18 Erya and have my opinion but I'm wondering what other think of the NEW STS, Cougar, Lynx and Caracal?

I'd also like to hear what BCB's opinion is :)

2. Member
    That would be a great test to see on YouTube. You left the Jag off the list?? Be kind of nice if it could be a scientific test and not subjective. My guess, and this is strictly speculation, is Jag, Puma, Lynx, Cougar, Caracal.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

3. Member
    Next to the Jag and Lynx, the Puma STS would be the best ride in the rough stuff. Also the fastest of the 3 with a 250.
    19 Footer would be the Caracal.

The Cougar and Eyra are faster then the others, but the Jag, Lynx and Puma STS were designed for the rough stuff with a soft ride.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

What about the 203 hybrid
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

5. Member
    Jaguar with a 450R.

The Lynx will stretch out on the big water and the Puma STS has an unbelievable ride. They are different platforms and while the Lynx would be a fishing platform for larger lakes like the Great Lake, it honestly does not have the softer ride of the Puma STS. Not taking away from the Lynx as it would be our choice fishing open water for the bow rise and its going to fish different in the open water. The Cougar FTD is a smidge slower than an Eyra, and they all will outride the Caracal. The Caracal is not as good with taking waves over the bow in open water and it is more of a normal platform.

Now as for the Jaguar STS, that's an entirely different conversation.

7. Member
    I wouldn’t say that on the Caracal it runs Rayburn and Toledo Bend in the nasty stuff as good as any 20 footer I’ve had.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    What about the 203 hybrid
    Won't run with a Puma STS or even a Lynx I don't think
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

9. Member
    I kept the Jag out of the equation on purpose as I knew that one would dominate however I do appreciate the Hybrid being considered as that slipped my mind.

I know I had a 203 Champ move past me at about 55 to 60mph in a 2-3ft chop on Havasu...I could have kept up but I wanted to walk the next day

The 203 Hybrid is the smoothest riding 20 foot bass boat currently being built by BCB, or any boat maker.

While the other 20 foot hulls BCB builds are fine rigs, the 203 shines above em all in the rough stuff and what set it apart from the rest.

Come on down to Mt. Home on demo day, take a spin in all of em and figure out what works best for you. Everyone's tastes are different. If you're ever in Missouri look me up and I'll take ya for a rip your lips off demo ride in my rig.

11. Member
    Cougar with a 300 if you don't want a Jaguar.

12. Member
    The 203 for a cougar rides soft and cuts waves great.
    love the eyra in all conditions
    the new puma is crazy good though.

This is my estimation in order:
    Jaguar
    Possible tie: Cougar Hybrid/Puma STS (I've not personally rode in the STS but have had conversations with plenty that have and some conversation pieces with Rick that were shared with me)
    Lynx
    Eyra
    Cougar FTD

I tell you once that will surprise you in the rough stuff is the new Classic. I've been very impressed with that hull. I've been in some pretty rough water with it. Honestly, I don't see a big difference in the Classic and my Cougar.

The STS hulls are extremely good riding. The Hybrid 203 is a good hull, though it will not perform with the loads that the other hulls will. The Lynx does stretch out as mentioned and the other hulls all have their own attributes that shine in areas.

Performance in all conditions is where the 203 rocks. Loaded, unloaded, makes no difference with this hull. When the wind picks up, the water turns nasty and everyone is slowing down the 203 will pass right by em.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The STS hulls are extremely good riding. The Hybrid 203 is a good hull, though it will not perform with the loads that the other hulls will. The Lynx does stretch out as mentioned and the other hulls all have their own attributes that shine in areas.

16. Member
    Ive ridden on the Great lakes in pretty much every brand and most of the models..Some are dryer than others but when it comes to not beating up the driver and passenger it is as much about the driver's experience and ability as it is the hull....I've ridden with guys like Balog in a Ranger and it feels like that hull is the best ever then draw someone with less experience in the same hull and you would swear it was the worst hull ever..
    As far as basscat...I had an older Jag and currently have a Puma FTD...They both run really well and were very predictable running in rougher water..
    Up here I'm more concerned with the Hull not failing and cracking as much as I am about top speed....Basscats havent let me down..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

I had an '18 Lynx and have a 2021 203 Cougar, the 203 hull is a better all around boat for me than the Lynx. It handles much better when running in crowded conditions or river turns. If you're just fishing big, open lakes the Lynx is a big water machine. I have to admit I do miss the Lynx's giant front deck.

18. Member
    Well I can tell you this...Saturday we had our derby on Havasu. Havasu runs runs north to south. Prefish on Friday we had winds sustained at 15=20 with gusts to 40...blowing north to south. This created some 4 foot swells that spanned a trough. I had to really pay attention and run the throttle back and forth to keep from spearing one. The most I took on was a couple light light light sprays of water over the bow. The Eyra performed nicely and got us in safe. It's been said before that when you land hard, the boat does not rattle...it's very solid.

Derby day came and solid 8 to 10 mph created 1 to 2 foot chop with boat wakes. I was easily able to run 60ish and pass a couple boats headed north. Wind held all day and same ride on the way back in. My buddy commented on what a nice ride it was.

I can tell you in the bigger waves I would have liked a longer wider boat...like an STS, Lynx or Jag.

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 keepers View Post
    Well I can tell you this...Saturday we had our derby on Havasu. Havasu runs runs north to south. Prefish on Friday we had winds sustained at 15=20 with gusts to 40...blowing north to south. This created some 4 foot swells that spanned a trough. I had to really pay attention and run the throttle back and forth to keep from spearing one. The most I took on was a couple light light light sprays of water over the bow. The Eyra performed nicely and got us in safe. It's been said before that when you land hard, the boat does not rattle...it's very solid.

Derby day came and solid 8 to 10 mph created 1 to 2 foot chop with boat wakes. I was easily able to run 60ish and pass a couple boats headed north. Wind held all day and same ride on the way back in. My buddy commented on what a nice ride it was.

I can tell you in the bigger waves I would have liked a longer wider boat...like an STS, Lynx or Jag.
    Great to hear that your Eyra performed well given the conditions, I recently picked one up and am really happy with the performance.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

20. Member
    Just going to warm this thread up, since I just returned from a day on the water on this first day of memorial weekend...

Prior to this cougar, I had a 2020 skeeter zxr20 and a 2021 Caymas cx19. Both did very well in rough water, chop, and the washing machine water where it comes from all angles.

I'll be honest, I'm not real impressed with the ride of my cougar in rough water. In the wildcats that I fish.. when the water gets rough, I cannot keep up with the Caymas, Ranger, and Phoenix in the group. They simply run better in rough water OR they run with reckless abandon and don't care about being safe. LOL The cougar beats me to death. With the jack all the way down, very little trim, and a 25 pitch fury 3, it bounces the crap out of me... Doesn't seem to stay in the water and has a lot of side to side movement.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to make it run better in rough water....

I run fairly light tackle and have 3 lithium trolling batteries... Am I just too light?
    Last edited by Bogeypro; 05-27-2023 at 06:00 PM.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast