Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite swI'm jig trailer.

I'll admit that I don't throw a swim jig very often but I plan on fishing one more this year. When I do throw one it's either a white or green pumpkin and I use the same trailers that I use for my regular jigs. I don't know if that's right or not. What is your favorite swim jig trailer?

2. Member
    My best success has came off a Pearl flash rage bug on a white swim jig. I fish it shallow around wood. I can’t get a bite with a swimbait as a trailer

Zoom Z-craw Jr, though the Z-man Goat made a big dent in that last year. I usually rig them vertically, but will rig them more traditionally/horizontal when I’m fishing really shallow, up in the column, or need to slow it down.

A grub is my other top choice. Either a Zoom Fat Albert or BBB 5” Finesse Grub (which is the same size as a Fat Albert despite being listed 2” longer). What I like about them is you can dramatically alter running depth of the bait by rigging the grub tail tip down (shallower) or tail tip up (deeper).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    I had never fished a swim jig until about 3-4 years ago. Now it's my confidence bait. I use a 3.75" Strike King Rage Swimmer or a 3.8" Keitech Fat Swing Impact, which are both paddle tail swimbaits. I use a 1/4 oz swim jig 99% of the time. That may seem like a small size, but once you get the trailer on it, it weighs over 1/2 oz. And I've caught pike up to 10lbs on them without the hook flexing at all, so they are also durable. I highly recommend checking out Brovarney Baits or Super K Jigs since they both make a quality swim jig. I especially like that Brovarney has some jigs with a round living rubber skirt, which I feel gives the bait a bulkier appearance when it flares. Anyway, a paddle tail swimbait makes the bait rock back and forth slightly which I feel gets more strikes. I've also used a 4" single tail grub with success, but I just like the paddle tails better.

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I use a swim jig nearly all year, 1/4 oz Googan swim jig is my favorite (it’s hard to admit that!)

I use 2 trailers, the 3.75” BPS boot tail swimbait, or the Reaction Innovations Crawfather. If I’m using it as a search bait I go with the swimbait, if I’m letting it fall a lot the crawfather trailer is on.

These jigs are disposable, as the hooks will bend after a while, but up to the point the hook bends they pin fish and they don’t get off! White and Bluegill are the only 2 colors I use with the jig and the trailers change with water color.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    The three I use the most are a Rage Menace, Rage Craw, and a paddle tail of your choice. The menace I'll rig vertical or horizontal depending on the action and depth I'm looking for. The craw is always horizontal when I want more action and to fish it high in the water column. I use those two more than a paddle tail but there are times, typically late summer and fall, where I want a bigger profile and I'll use a large paddle tail.

7. Member
    Rage menace or keitech fat swing impact

8. Member
    I like a rage swimmer 3.25 or a ultra vibe speed craw 99% of the time

9. Member
    Rage Craw and Rage Chunk were my gotos. Now there are a lot more choices.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanl View Post
    The three I use the most are a Rage Menace, Rage Craw, and a paddle tail of your choice. The menace I'll rig vertical or horizontal depending on the action and depth I'm looking for. The craw is always horizontal when I want more action and to fish it high in the water column. I use those two more than a paddle tail but there are times, typically late summer and fall, where I want a bigger profile and I'll use a large paddle tail.
    Big fan of the Rage Menace, Craw, and Grub as jig trailers. Zoom UV Speed Craws work, and so do Keitech Fats. If I want something with a lot of action at slow speed I'll use the Menace Craw, If I want to go faster I might throw the Grub. So many choices.

11. Member
    Power Team Lures Mauler is $ on the back of a jig.

12. Member
    I pour and tie my own jigs. For light fish imitations, Zman diesel minnow. I add a drop of glue and can fish the same trailer all day (unless pike grab a hold). For the bluegill or craw presentations, a variety of plastics, beaver, flapping craws or Zman craws all do well. I used to use all grubs as trailers, gut much better response from the "light action paddle tails".

13. Member
    Last year I did the full Tactical Bassin version of swim jigs, couldn't believe how many more bites I got. My best producing lure by far on a northern, weedy, clear water, panfish lake. Big fish bite a 3/4oz dirty jigs cali head in crappie, bream, or perch and the 3/8 and 1/2oz dirty jigs standard swim jig in same colors. Favorite trailers R2S Dwalker 120mm and gambler big ez. Excellent new moon night bait on the flats and first breaks as well.

scott

14. Member
    I prefer using Zoom fat albert double tail grubs.

15. Member
    RI Little Dipper on a northern style swim jig. RI Skinny Dipper or Rage Craw on a southern style.

16. Member
    Swimjig is my confidence bait. Probably 75% of the time it's a 5" single tail grub or a Kalin scrub. The rest of the time it's a swimbait.

The only use on trailer on a swim jig is a Z Craw Jr. in a color matching the jig. I rig mine horizontal so it will slow the fall of the jig when I let it drop around cover.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

18. Banned
    I really like the Zoom Z craw Jr. on flipping, pitching and casting jigs. I really like the twin tail grubs on a swim jig. Yamamoto, Big Bite Baits, etc. The work for me here on the Chick.

19. Member
    If I'm around a lot of fish or fun fishing I use a zoom curl tail grub a lot. I fish the Brovarney bream colored swim jigs a lot in some watershed lakes around here where bream is the main forage. The grubs are fairly cheap.

If I'm in a tournament I'll choose the paddle tail swim bait first most of the time. The RI Little Dipper or Gambler Little EZ mostly but will use Keitech and BPS small swim baits also.

The Rage Menace and Baby Rage craw also does good.

20. Member
    This is still one of my favorites: a copy I pour of an Uncle Josh trailer in two sizes:

Also like these craw trailers (why it's called a craw, I don't have a clue):

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast