Thread: Vmax surging

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Question have you tried the "wink blinky" to see if it's throwing any codes? Our motor actually does store electrical fault codes but they are simple. The light blinks a certain number and the owners/maintenance manual has the decipher to the codes. Someone on here had the plans to build one for pennies of what a yamaha part cost...was a few years ago though.

I would also put a timing light on your wires, throw someone in the back and run the boat to see if it is spark related.
    Last edited by cwilt; 05-06-2022 at 10:30 PM.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Question have you tried the "wink blinky" to see if it's throwing any codes? Our motor actually does store electrical fault codes but they are simple. The light blinks a certain number and the owners/maintenance manual has the decipher to the codes. Someone on here had the plans to build one for pennies of what a yamaha part cost...was a few years ago though.

I would also put a timing light on your wires, throw someone in the back and run the boat to see if it is spark related.
    Do you know the name of the code reader? I do have an official yamaha service manual for the engine.

I'm also goin to replace the last piece of fuel line that I didn't replace. The one goin from the primer bulb to the filter on the engine.

3. Member
    So I replaced my last piece fuel line that I had not before (from primer bulb to filter). Looking at the other one, it looked pretty good inside. Only differences between the new yamaha hose I put on and the old one was the old one was a little thicker of a hose and the 5/16" opening looked a tiny bit bigger than the new hose.

Also check the continuity on the coil packs and they all measured about the same. Though I don't think either of these things are goin to make a difference I'm gonna try and give it a whirl tomorrow.

One thing I noticed is I seem to have an excessive amount of fuel line coming from water/fuel separator to the primer bulb. Think I could just cut that back.

4. Member
    Took it for a ride today after replacing the last piece of fuel line and the issue is the same. I had her opening up to about 51 mph but you could still feel it surging or missing. I’m at a loss now, last thing I got to check is the timing. Never replaced the fuel hoses that feed the carbs but I don’t think that’s the problem. One other thing I never did was remove the prop but I don’t think there’s anything there that would be causing this.

5. Member
    Well, What were RPMs? Is it getting to 5900-6200.... (should be about that for most of the two strokes, I believe). I suppose a spun hub could cause some issues, but I would think you would notice that on acceleration as well. With the lack of response to the choke kick.... I am guessing it may not actually be fuel related. While rare (from what I have read) the CDI can cause issues,,,, Not sure of symptoms, but when you pretty much have looked at all other options, maybe it's worth trying to find another one to try... There may be some testing you could do on the existing unit.... Or as was suggested the "winky-blinky" diagnostic light gig may be able to help with a general direction.... I feel for you man.. Hope you can get this figured out.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sma2llie_Hawgin View Post
    Well, What were RPMs? Is it getting to 5900-6200.... (should be about that for most of the two strokes, I believe). I suppose a spun hub could cause some issues, but I would think you would notice that on acceleration as well. With the lack of response to the choke kick.... I am guessing it may not actually be fuel related. While rare (from what I have read) the CDI can cause issues,,,, Not sure of symptoms, but when you pretty much have looked at all other options, maybe it's worth trying to find another one to try... There may be some testing you could do on the existing unit.... Or as was suggested the "winky-blinky" diagnostic light gig may be able to help with a general direction.... I feel for you man.. Hope you can get this figured out.
    It'll get up to about 51-5200 rpm but sometimes won't get past 4500 rpms. I've seen it once or twice get up to 5500-5600 rpm but cut out shortly after.

I will say that when Im getting up on plane and start trimming up it seems like its blowing out a little or like the prop isn't catching sometimes.
    Last edited by bigfoot17; 05-11-2022 at 06:56 AM.

7. Member
    So I purchased a winky blinky to try and investigate my problem. Haven’t received it yet but is there anything I should know with using this tool? Will instructions be included?

8. Member
    Put a clear in-line fuel filter in your fuel line after the bulb and see what is coming from your tank. You can get one at an auto parts store. Had a similar surging issue with a Pro V 150. There was trash in the tank which caused a fuel restriction. Trash would build up in the filter and then it would surge. Clean the filter and back to normal. Cleaned the carbs multiple times before I figured it out.

...and lift pumps can go bad after one trip. Been there. Check them. i use the Sierra rebuild kits. I think they are more durable than the OEM diaphragms.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 05-27-2022 at 11:22 AM.

9. Member
    I ran a diagnostic test with the winky blinky and it came up flashing code 13, 'incorrect pulser coil input signal'. What would I be looking at to fix?

10. Member
    Anybody use the winky blinky and have code 13 come up? Guessing I’m not getting to right trigger signal possibly when I advance my throttle but I’m not sure.

You ever get it fixed up? Update?
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

12. Member
    Not yet. Started doing some electrical testing as far as measuring continuity and such but did not measure peak voltage or check timing. I’m thinking about taking it to a certified Yamaha mechanic and biting the bullet. Will say the last couple times I had it out it now struggle to get up on plane, bogging down pretty bad.

13. Member
    Taking it out to Lakeside Marina near Harrisburg tomorrow. Will see what happens from there.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Taking it out to Lakeside Marina near Harrisburg tomorrow. Will see what happens from there.
    Hope you get it figured out.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Hope you get it figured out.
    Me too, I know it’s at least a 3 week wait which is totally fine with me. Gave the mechanic a run down of the things I’ve replaced already and checked out so he can narrow his search. Only thing I asked him to do is a fuel pressure test which I have not done just to eliminate the fuel delivery system.

16. Member
    So I got a call back from the mechanic. He said that everything on the fuel side checked out and just about everything from the electrical side checked out. Said that one of the pulser coil readings was off a little on the high side with his dva meter. When he looked at it it he mentioned how clean the engine looked. He did notice that there was a little something wrong (visually speaking) with the crank position sensor and pulser coil. He's goin to drop a new crank position sensor and pulser coil in and see what happens. Last thing left would be the ECU but I heard they rarely go on these outboards.

17. Member
    Could be spun prop hub. Borrow one and try it..

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oprod View Post
    Could be spun prop hub. Borrow one and try it..
    Thought about that but if that was the problem the engine would maintain high rpm with loss of speed. That’s not the case here, the rpm drops with the speed.

19. Member
    Sounds like one of the carbs has a needle valve issue. I just went thru a similar issue with the needle valve in my vst tank. It would run for a little while then slowly starve for fuel. Just my 2 cents. I didn't read all the posts to see if you tried that.

20. Member
    I did pull the carbs completely apart, cleaned and inspected them. So did the mechanic that has it now. He’s a good Yamaha mechanic from what I’ve heard but him and a couple other mechanics are a little stumped. They ordered a new pulser coil coming direct from Japan and also a crank position sensor to try that out. Item was supposed to be delivered last week but who knows how long it takes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast