Thread: truck camper

truck camper

I have thinking about a truck camper for my GMC 1/2 ton crew cab with the short bed. I like the idea of being able to drop the boat and put the camper on the poles so I have a way to get around with the boat. I have seen some used ones that have a pop up feature. Anyone have any experience? I would like some pics too.

2. Member
    Best way to travel IMHO. The problem you’ll have is weight. Most campers proclaimed to fit 1/2 tons push the far outer limits on weight capacity. There are a few that could work, such as pop ups like Four Wheel but many of those can’t be used off of the truck. Go to www.truckcampermagazine.com and do your research. In most cases you’ll find more options for a 3/4-1 ton.
    Also consider that the camper weight might be at the edge of your trucks capacity but you still have to put all your stuff in the camper and your trailer has tongue weight. There are people who push that limit but if you get in an accident, your insurance will hang you out to dry.

3. Member
    For your 1/2 ton, you are pretty much limited to a pop-up. We had a pop-up
    for 20 yrs. and got great use from it. +1 on truckcamper.magazine.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

4. Member
    I'd be looking at a roof top tent installed on a bed rack. Very versatile, light and quite comfortable.
    Add cans on the side of the rack for water and extra fuel. Install a solar shower on one side of it.
    Best of all, you'll still have the bed open for use. VERY little, if any, effect on your fuel economy.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I toyed with the idea for a lot of years, but just stayed with a tent and well organized boxes of gear. I can make camp in about 15 minutes and break in about a half hour and have a lot more room for sleeping and changing clothes.

I have a friend who travels far and wide with his boat using a topper on the truck with an elevated bed built in. He has a quick set canopy that he uses for shade and shelter from light rain and just uses the truck for sleeping.

Some truck campers, particularly lighter ones, aren’t designed for use while off the truck. Be sure you check before buying
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Most cab overs require a 1 ton

7. Member
    I had a F350 single wheeled truck with a 9 1/2 foot camper that I pulled the boat with. If I did it again I would only do it with a dually. Once you have it set up it is great for fishing trips. Your pretty much always packed and ready to go.

8. Member
    The Lance 650 was designed for the 1500 class trucks. Capri also make light ones also for that weight class.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kjenckes View Post
    The Lance 650 was designed for the 1500 class trucks. Capri also make light ones also for that weight class.
    1700lb dry makes it hard to find a 150/1500 that will handle that and a boat. 2000lbs just for the camper and tongue weight. Load the camper and put a couple of people in the truck and you’ll be hard pressed to stay under 2800lbs. You can get trucks that will handle that, but it’s usually going to be a special order in a 150/1500.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by kjenckes View Post
    Not bad, especially the used one.... https://www.rvtrader.com/Lance-650/r...50%7C764977972

11. Member
    I did the pop up first and now a hard side.
    My advice make sure the pop up is equipped how you want. Don't settle. Mine was an older style Sun Lite and I settled from lack of experience. Mine did not have hot water. It did have a toilet no shower though. No gray water storage. The top was not easy to raise with the AC. The fabric let too much light in, especially early evening trying to get to bed early and early morning on the day you get to sleep in. At times in a campgroound with all the partier noise going on it like you are sitting firseside. It was way easier compared to my hard side to load and haul for sure. My soft side had manual jack and my HS has electric
    My Hard side is an HS8801 is well equipped for my needs. It has a bathroom with small shower, AC, queen bed, and works very well for me. It eliminated most all my issues I had with my pop up. It is designed for a 6 3/4 or an 8ft truck and needs a 3/4 ton minimum.

Neither had Co angler space, the HS will work for a night but that is as far as I want to take it.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

12. Member
    We had a cab over slide-in for many years on a '68 Ford 3/4 truck. Wore out 2 campers and still have the truck. Pulled a 23' I/O salt water boat all over the western US and Baja. A 1/2 ton truck doesn't seem to have enough beef me to feel safe with a camper.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    1700lb dry makes it hard to find a 150/1500 that will handle that and a boat. 2000lbs just for the camper and tongue weight. Load the camper and put a couple of people in the truck and you’ll be hard pressed to stay under 2800lbs. You can get trucks that will handle that, but it’s usually going to be a special order in a 150/1500.
    What about this one? Looks like a candidate.

https://nucamprv.com/cirrus-620/

Just under 1500 lbs.
    Last edited by Dixie-Raven; 07-16-2022 at 09:44 AM.

Check the truck. All 1500 rams come with a paper that says no slide in campers
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Check the truck. All 1500 rams come with a paper that says no slide in campers
    Max slide in camper sticker in glove box in my 2500 says 1600 lbs