Mega Live Max input voltage

Anyone know what the max input voltage for the mega live is?

The manual states: Power Requirement 10 to 12 VDC
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    The Mega Ice bundles have a lithium battery listed. Definitely over 13 volts. 10 to 12 needs to be a typo. Lead acid is is 12.7 or 12.8.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I think the key is a 12V battery (Lead Acid, AGM, or Lithium) and not an 18V or 24V setup.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    Whatcha got Dirty? If it's the higher ones I would call and make sure. JMO Bob

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The manual states: Power Requirement 10 to 12 VDC
    Requirement is not the same as max recommended voltage.
    Mostly thinking about some of the guys that use Livescope that are using 18v drill batteries without a resistor and actually improving their images.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    Requirement is not the same as max recommended voltage.
    Mostly thinking about some of the guys that use Livescope that are using 18v drill batteries without a resistor and actually improving their images.
    Just looked up several G4N Helix units and their specs show Power Input 10.8 - 20 VDC.
    No max voltage is stated.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Just looked up several G4N Helix units and their specs show Power Input 10.8 - 20 VDC.
    No max voltage is stated.
    So 20v should be ok?

9. Member
    All the fishfinders say 10.8 to 20vdc. Mega Live is a new and not a fishfider. Common sense says that is the way it would be designed, But If you are using batteries rated at 20 volts they will almost certainly be higher than that.( all my tool batteries are several volts higher than stated) Call the HB help desk for clarification. Livescope is not Mega Live and it is made by a different company. You can't just choose the same spec's. JMO Bob

As Wayne said, 10 to 12v. Here is exactly what the installation manual says in full context.

WARNING! The MEGA Live Imaging transducer should be connected to a main switch, fuse panel, or battery switch. Humminbird does not recommend connecting to a battery without a fuse and a switch.

CAUTION: Some boats have 24 or 36 Volt electric systems, but the MEGA Live Imaging transducer MUST be connected to a 12 VDC power supply.

NOTE: Humminbird is not responsible for over-voltage or over-current failures. The MEGA Live Imaging transducer must have adequate protection through the proper selection and installation of a 2 Amp fuse.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    As Wayne said, 10 to 12v. Here is exactly what the installation manual says in full context.

WARNING! The MEGA Live Imaging transducer should be connected to a main switch, fuse panel, or battery switch. Humminbird does not recommend connecting to a battery without a fuse and a switch.

CAUTION: Some boats have 24 or 36 Volt electric systems, but the MEGA Live Imaging transducer MUST be connected to a 12 VDC power supply.

NOTE: Humminbird is not responsible for over-voltage or over-current failures. The MEGA Live Imaging transducer must have adequate protection through the proper selection and installation of a 2 Amp fuse.
    I know it says that in the manual, but that only sort of addresses the question. A “12 volt system” can often put out 13 or so bolts (lithium).

One sure way to find out, try it
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

13. Member
    Everyone saying 12v. Well if your running your big motor and your running your mega live off your cranking battery doesn’t the alternator put out 14-14.5 volts? So I would say for sure your safe to 14.5 at least

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    All the fishfinders say 10.8 to 20vdc. Mega Live is a new and not a fishfider. Common sense says that is the way it would be designed, But If you are using batteries rated at 20 volts they will almost certainly be higher than that.( all my tool batteries are several volts higher than stated) Call the HB help desk for clarification. Livescope is not Mega Live and it is made by a different company. You can't just choose the same spec's. JMO Bob
    Exactly, these are some emails I received from Garmin and Humminbird Engineers. As you can see Garmin Engineers are concerned with customers using high voltage drill batteries close to the upper limits of their units.

Humminibird Engineers -

While we can take a wide range of input voltages (as listed below) almost every component of the system is regulated back to its correct voltage.It is a myth that 16V helps networking, sonar, performance, reliability, etc. This myth transcends electronic brands. It's a myth across all brands.
    However, 16V is not a problem for our systems.

Garmin Engineers -

“Yeah, this is really dangerous for the equipment to operate it at a higher voltage. There is no correlation between higher voltage and improved performance. All the power of the transducer and black box systems are internally regulated, so putting more voltage in does not get more performance out. The only thing it can do is damage the equipment.

I would recommend customers operate our products within the published Voltage specifications. Operating our products outside of the approved range will damage the equipment.

LvieScope : 10-32 Vdc
    ECHOMAP UHD2: 9 to 18 Vdc
    ECHOMAP Ultra: 9 to 18 Vdc
    GPSMAP: 10 to 32 Vdc

The trend of using the power drill lithium batteries is especially dangerous for our equipment. We have done extensive testing and none have proved to be safe for our equipment. The batteries used on drills can have very drastic, instantaneous power spikes, well outside of our acceptable voltage range. The drills are designed with internal hardware equipped to handle these spikes, our equipment does not. Customer support has seen lots of LiveScope and ECHOMAPs come in damage because of these voltage spikes.”

Hope this helps

15. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse Lithium View Post
    Exactly, these are some emails I received from Garmin and Humminbird Engineers. As you can see Garmin Engineers are concerned with customers using high voltage drill batteries close to the upper limits of their units.

Humminibird Engineers -

While we can take a wide range of input voltages (as listed below) almost every component of the system is regulated back to its correct voltage.It is a myth that 16V helps networking, sonar, performance, reliability, etc. This myth transcends electronic brands. It's a myth across all brands.
    However, 16V is not a problem for our systems.

Garmin Engineers -

“Yeah, this is really dangerous for the equipment to operate it at a higher voltage. There is no correlation between higher voltage and improved performance. All the power of the transducer and black box systems are internally regulated, so putting more voltage in does not get more performance out. The only thing it can do is damage the equipment.

I would recommend customers operate our products within the published Voltage specifications. Operating our products outside of the approved range will damage the equipment.

LvieScope : 10-32 Vdc
    ECHOMAP UHD2: 9 to 18 Vdc
    ECHOMAP Ultra: 9 to 18 Vdc
    GPSMAP: 10 to 32 Vdc

The trend of using the power drill lithium batteries is especially dangerous for our equipment. We have done extensive testing and none have proved to be safe for our equipment. The batteries used on drills can have very drastic, instantaneous power spikes, well outside of our acceptable voltage range. The drills are designed with internal hardware equipped to handle these spikes, our equipment does not. Customer support has seen lots of LiveScope and ECHOMAPs come in damage because of these voltage spikes.”

Hope this helps
    This is really good information and thanks for posting it. It does, however, contradict the claims from some that 16V batteries provide better imaging than 12V batteries... At least from a Humminbird engineering perspective.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

16. Member

Exclamation

Do you mean I cant rely on all the claims I read on the internet! What is this world coming to? JK

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    This is really good information and thanks for posting it. It does, however, contradict the claims from some that 16V batteries provide better imaging than 12V batteries... At least from a Humminbird engineering perspective.
    IMO people think they have better imaging at 16v because:
    1. Voltage will always be at/over the top (12v) of the power range requirement.
    2. Most people switching to the 16v batteries are going from traditional lead/acid batteries or AGM that they are using for all boat electronics plus the outboard, which often times drop below that 12v range in between cranking up the big motor.

Just my two cents.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
    2. Most people switching to the 16v batteries are going from traditional lead/acid batteries or AGM that they are using for all boat electronics plus the outboard, which often times drop below that 12v range in between cranking up the big motor.

Just my two cents.
    And let's not forget they have to change the wiring over to a dedicated lead for the 16v battery.....that makes a difference in itself

19. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post

Just my two cents.
    I agree with you. The higher Lithium Voltage will cover up a lot of installation "ills" which show up on Lead Acid or AGM batteries, because they go below 12V as the day progresses.