Thread: BFS setup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BFS setup

I love to throw shad raps this time of year , but I hate spinning rods . Been thinking about a true BFS setup . What are yalls thoughts . I have been reading a lot and it seems you can fish ned rigs , drop shot and light cranks .

2. Member
    Yep for those baits I would go with either an Alpahs CT or Alde 30 MGL. Also that new Okuma reel seems like a great budget choice.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    Yep for those baits I would go with either an Alpahs CT or Alde 30 MGL. Also that new Okuma reel seems like a great budget choice.
    Agreed, the 30mm ct spools are great for power bfs techniques and the MGL 30 spool is no slouch either. No experience with the okuma reel however.

If you are ever up in NE Alabama I have the alphas ct, millionaire ct and alphas air tw if you want to try the finesse casting reels before you buy.

I got for myself a Kastking Zephyr BFS with clicking drag on Amazon for $75 and Shimano Sensilite casting rod for $50, more fun then any outfit I own and caught some good size fish with it. Went from catching 0-2 fish atrip to 6-12 bass. For me down sizing was a positive move.

Got a Shimano Curado BFS on a phenix feather 7' light and it is great. I am amazed how far it throws with Just a flick of the wrist with a 1/8 ned rig.

Lots of good options showing up in the BFS realm for reels. Great suggestions above. Of the stuff I've got personal experience with, I can tell you with a lot of confidence that you can't go wrong with any of the Daiwa "Air" reels. I've got an SS Air and can cast 1/16 Ned Rigs without issue on it.

The Feather mentioned by jigheadworm is a great rod option. I'd *personally* probably go ML for it as the tip action allows you to throw the light baits just as well while affording you a little extra power, but you really can't go wrong with either. I also fish primarily around grass, so may tend toward a more powerful rod than others, all else equal.

Whatever you do, don't let the lure weight ratings in that series scare you, at least on the light side. I actually found that I could cast the 1/16 oz Ned with SS Air when test casting a pistol grip rod I built for my dad that began as the 7'1" H blank that I cut down to 6'6". It was over powered, of course, but even that blank could cast really light stuff. Obviously that's a different animal than L or ML, just wanted to mention it for reference.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Guys thanks for the replies ,, this is what I was looking for . The Phenix rod is the one I was actually considering also . I did find a rod company last night -OLD 18 . Anyone have any experience with one . Again I really appreciate the replies .

8. Member
    No experience with old 18 but i have had the phenix along with a bunch of other bfs rods both JDM and USDM. The phenix would be a good rod for what you are looking to do, its a very light rod 3.0oz on my scale and nice sensitivity especially for the $.

Currently my two bfs rods are from edge and are a 662 inshore and a 721 silver widow, the 662 is quick enough for neds and bottom contact but the 721 is more of a panfish and trout type rod, it is very soft more of a mod/fast taper. I have a edge 6101 drop shot blank on a spinning build that would be great as a bfs build for your techniques as well.

9. Member
    I'm a curado junky, so I just bought the Curado BFS. I haven't used it near enough to comment on it, but my initial thoughts are it's awesome.

I've actually got my eye on 7'3" ML Phenix Maxim to start with. I'd love to get a Shimano Expride, but no one has them in stock. Never even heard of Old18, I'll check it out!

10. Member
    I would tend to agree with what others here have said about the phenix feather. I would also second what DrewFlu22 about going with a ML, as phenix rods seem to be a little underpowered, and even with a BFS setup I still like to have that bit of extra power

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FuegoFishing View Post
    I would tend to agree with what others here have said about the phenix feather. I would also second what DrewFlu22 about going with a ML, as phenix rods seem to be a little underpowered, and even with a BFS setup I still like to have that bit of extra power
    I actually have both the Phenix Feather Light and ML. I bought the Light after being disappointed in the new Dobyns 740. The Dobyns tip just folds if you encounter any cover at all, way too light for bass fishing IMO. So the Feather Light was a real step up in power/tip. I would actually put it on par with many ML spinning rods. Works great for 1/10 oz Neds, 1/16-1/8 oz hair jigs, spybaits. I use the ML more for tubes, small grubs/paddletails, micro chatterbait, etc. I would put the ML on par with some medium spinning rods, maybe between ML and Medium anyway. If I were going to throw small cranks, would probably go with the ML.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    I actually have both the Phenix Feather Light and ML. I bought the Light after being disappointed in the new Dobyns 740. The Dobyns tip just folds if you encounter any cover at all, way too light for bass fishing IMO. So the Feather Light was a real step up in power/tip. I would actually put it on par with many ML spinning rods. Works great for 1/10 oz Neds, 1/16-1/8 oz hair jigs, spybaits. I use the ML more for tubes, small grubs/paddletails, micro chatterbait, etc. I would put the ML on par with some medium spinning rods, maybe between ML and Medium anyway. If I were going to throw small cranks, would probably go with the ML.
    I've heard the same thing about the Dobyns 740 from a buddy of mine. A little disappointing. As far as the Light and ML debate goes I think both rods would work, IMO the choice of rod depends on what you're fishing around. The tip action between the two can handle throwing the light weight baits, It seems to be a personal preference on the "feel" of the rod. I've also used the curado BFS reel a handful of times and it handled a 1/16 ned rig, and a small grub with ease during my use, with that said I never got the chance to put it through the ringer.

13. Bigshooter51
    Well, I fish the Shimano Aldebaran BFS I have the older units and the new 2022 version. They are all really nice for fishing light baits, but the 2022 version is the bomb I've fished the thin Senko and many lightweight baits because I hate the Fairy wand my friend these reels are the real deal is all I can say trust me.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigheadworm View Post
    Got a Shimano Curado BFS on a phenix feather 7' light and it is great. I am amazed how far it throws with Just a flick of the wrist with a 1/8 ned rig.
    I have this and entirely agree. Had the Alphas before and honestly thought they sucked for distance, smoothness, etc. Big upgrade to Curado BFS and Daiwa Air TW.

15. Member
    I just got an Alphas air TW from Digitaka and paired it with an ALX Enox Aura. It's a sweet setup and casts 1/16 oz. Ned heads as far as I can with any spinning outfit after I installed a AX22 spool with the thicken inductor.
    Last edited by pabasshawk; 11-26-2022 at 09:51 PM.

16. Member
    If you aren't casting below 3/16 oz. total, then I don't think you need a true BFS reel. For me the rod is much more important. I've read that some BFS spools can turn your regular reel into a BFS reel. Also read that some of the new, non-BFS reels will handle 1/8 oz. on the right rod with no problem.

Having said that, I would love a ML Feather and a true BFS reel as I want to get below 1/8 oz. on a baitcaster. Have spinning rods for that, but love using baitcast reels more than a spinning reel. I personally feel that downsizing lures in the highly pressured areas I fish may be beneficial.

17. Member
    FWIW, aftermarket spools can convert just about any 34 mm (and other spool sizes) free floating Daiwa spool baitcaster into BFS/mag finesse. Just sayin' in case you may already own a 34 mm Daiwa BC with the free floating spool design.

My daily BFS is an OG Aldebaran that's been tuned and modified and has the shallowest/lightest Avail BFS spool for that platform.

My power finesse reel is a heavily Ian tuned and modded Steez Limited 105 SV XH with a Megabass IS finesse spool.

My preferred ML reel is an Ian tuned/modded TD Ito with tuned Steez Limited 105 SV spool.

Lots of killer options out there today.
    Last edited by dragon1; 11-28-2022 at 12:16 AM.

18. Member
    I bought a used Daiwa pixie baitcaster that was in perfect shape off Ebay and matched it with a vintage 7 'Lamiglass dropshot casting rod I had but seldom used anymore and I was considering selling it until now .
    The pixie reel casts a 1/8 oz dropshot weight with light line flawlessly . What impressed me most was the drag on this reel . Using 6 lb line against some fat, angry spotted bass it functioned awesome .
    I had tried using a Daiwa TDX103 reel with carbon drag washers on this rod before but the drag was the limiting factor . definitely a step up with the pixie.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    I bought a used Daiwa pixie baitcaster that was in perfect shape off Ebay and matched it with a vintage 7 'Lamiglass dropshot casting rod I had but seldom used anymore and I was considering selling it until now .
    The pixie reel casts a 1/8 oz dropshot weight with light line flawlessly . What impressed me most was the drag on this reel . Using 6 lb line against some fat, angry spotted bass it functioned awesome .
    I had tried using a Daiwa TDX103 reel with carbon drag washers on this rod before but the drag was the limiting factor . definitely a step up with the pixie.
    Pixies rock, especially the Airy Red with the best stock factory spool (for BFS apps IMO). A set of HH finesse spool and side plate bearings will help the ease of casting tremendously as well.

20. Member
    As far as rods go, I see a lot BFS rods marketed by the bigger name companies that are 7' long. Of course there are a few shorter rods but, the majority I see are 7'. I prefer shorter rods but, don't want to sacrifice power. Is there a logical reason for the 7' length being so prevalent? I have been fishing BFS with a 7' ML Kistler Helium 3 and a 6'7" Castaway Invicta II Donk, both rated down to 1/16" with success. I am getting ready to have a couple BFS rods custom made and I am trying to make up my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast