TALON ALARM WIRING HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Just installed a new 10’ Talon on a Ranger 190 aluminum boat. Install went well, power wiring was easy, RMP NAV light was easy and the Talon works as it should. The only issue I have now is finding the appropriate wire at the ignition switch to tap into for the deployment alarm. I can’t seem to find any “hot” wires at the ignition with my test light. Any tips / ideas for finding the wire I need?

2. Member
    Take a look through this post. It has the answer.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=787258

3. Member
    Thanks

4. Member
    Thanks again. This was the info I was looking for !!!!!

6. Member
    Thanks guys, I figured out my issue. Note to self, make sure the test light bulb is not burned out before using. Or better yet, purchase a nicer test light that doesn’t use a standard bulb.

7. Member
    I have a 2011 Ranger Z519 Comanche with a 225 SHO Yamaha. I have owned the boat since 2018. The original Minn Kota Talon's cable broke and I am replacing with a new Talon. I am trying to connect the "green" safety wire to a voltage source that is only powered when the controls are powered and the remote lever is in neutral (cracking position). I have inspected the remote control and was hoping that I could connect a wire to the limit switch that is closed when the lever is in neutral. That limit switch connects the ground side of the power to the starter relay.

If I connected the Talons green wire to any terminal under the console (they are powered on the first push on the "start" button) the Talon alarm would be activated if any accessories such as the live well pumps were needed.

At present, the only solution that I can realize is to connect the Talon green wire to the power terminal of the engine relay. Has anyone wired the Talon green" wire to a Ranger boat with the touch control that allowed the accessories to be powered on, the Talon activated and no Talon alarm with the control lever in forward or reverse but the alarm would activate if the control lever is moved to neutral.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanzy View Post
    I have a 2011 Ranger Z519 Comanche with a 225 SHO Yamaha. I have owned the boat since 2018. The original Minn Kota Talon's cable broke and I am replacing with a new Talon. I am trying to connect the "green" safety wire to a voltage source that is only powered when the controls are powered and the remote lever is in neutral (cracking position). I have inspected the remote control and was hoping that I could connect a wire to the limit switch that is closed when the lever is in neutral. That limit switch connects the ground side of the power to the starter relay.

If I connected the Talons green wire to any terminal under the console (they are powered on the first push on the "start" button) the Talon alarm would be activated if any accessories such as the live well pumps were needed.

At present, the only solution that I can realize is to connect the Talon green wire to the power terminal of the engine relay. Has anyone wired the Talon green" wire to a Ranger boat with the touch control that allowed the accessories to be powered on, the Talon activated and no Talon alarm with the control lever in forward or reverse but the alarm would activate if the control lever is moved to neutral.

Thanks.
    I don't know that this will directly answer your question but it may help point you in the right direction. On my Talons when the wire for the alarm sense 12 V an alarm will sound for a few seconds and stop. It has no bearing if the boat is in gear, in neutral or even running for that matter. If a Talon is not fully retracted and I turn my key on but do not crank the motor my alarm still sounds. All the alarm wire needs is 12 V to signal the alarm, hence why most people wire it to the ignition because it becomes hot when you turn the key on. I help a friend wire one and we hooked his alarm wire to the hot post of his fuel gauge because it becomes hot only when the boat ignition key has been turned on. It does not matter where you get the power source as long as its 12 V and only hot when you go to start the boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I don't know that this will directly answer your question but it may help point you in the right direction. On my Talons when the wire for the alarm sense 12 V an alarm will sound for a few seconds and stop. It has no bearing if the boat is in gear, in neutral or even running for that matter. If a Talon is not fully retracted and I turn my key on but do not crank the motor my alarm still sounds. All the alarm wire needs is 12 V to signal the alarm, hence why most people wire it to the ignition because it becomes hot when you turn the key on. I help a friend wire one and we hooked his alarm wire to the hot post of his fuel gauge because it becomes hot only when the boat ignition key has been turned on. It does not matter where you get the power source as long as its 12 V and only hot when you go to start the boat.
    Thank you for the information. I will try to find a connection to the ignition or instrument lighting.

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdanzy View Post
    Thank you for the information. I will try to find a connection to the ignition or instrument lighting.
    If you have analog gauges such as a fuel gauge or voltmeter gauge you can pick up 12v off the hot post on the back of the gauge. If you have a test light or multi meter you can determine which post is hot and attach the wire to it. Your gauge should only be hot when the key or in you case the key pad is in the on position.

11. Member
    I have analog gauges but the connections are deutsch so there are no open posts to connect to. I have a vom and I have have wired electronics on the boat. Under the console there is one panel that is hot when the console is one but not in start mode (gauges functioning). There are no terminals or wires that I can find that become hot when ready to start the engine.

What I want to do is to be able to use the Talon and also the live well pumps but I also want the alarm if have the Talon deployed and get ready to start the motor. The two Lowrance graphs and active target are wired to a separate battery so I don't have to have anything turned on at the console to use them.

12. Member
    look for a purple wire around the batteries that is not being used. this is a common ignition feed wire in the battery area-- i ran mine to the ignition switch before I found out about the purple wire
    Last edited by mactlman; 11-24-2022 at 01:54 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    look for a purple wire around the batteries that is nit being used. this is a common ignition feed wire in the battery area-- i ran mine to the ignition switch before I found out about the purple wire
    I spliced into the blue wire on a gauge at the console and that works. I'll look for a purple wire as I would prefer connecting to a wire rather than spicing to one.