Marathon key tackle recommendation

Heading down for the last week of march, 1st week of april. I have some limited saltwater experience and a little tackle. The house we are staying in is on the gulf side, behind the airport. We get a couple kayaks with the place, but im considering renting a boat for the week as we also have a private dock. What will be going on down there at that time, and what kinda gear should i plan on having? Im not against buying some stuff from a good local tackle shop if there is any around. Thanks in advance!

Overall, 1/4 and 3/8 oz jigs plain round jigs and different colors (WHITE) 3" Gulp Shrimp will catch most everything there.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Thanks for the tip!
    Ive seen other info including the plain lead head for jigs. Is it just because the colored head isnt needed, or is it the plain lead color they like?
    Also,I would really like to try and catch a Jack on topwater, what would be a good size/action rod to gear up with for that?

Top water Super Spook Jr. (saltwater). As far as color goes for the SSJ, get a color you can see, like a Chartreuse, as the fish only see a profile/shadow.

Jig head color is a mute point compared to the bait.

Make sure you rinse off ALL your stuff after using it in the salt. (Your Bass rigs will work just fine.) Use a Fluorocarbon leader. I use a 25 lbs leader on the SSJ to prevent the leader from wrapping around the lure. 15 lbs leader for the Jigs.

Most people fishing the salt water use way too heavy stuff. I guess they think the are going to land a Marlin when fishing.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Excellent, thanks again!

6. Member
    Sounds like a great trip. Tackle and lure choices wide open. Bring some sinkers and hooks to fish shrimp and live bait. Rapala and luckycraft have some great saltwater baits. I was catching schooly stripers on a Sammy 128 this summer. Also used bomber long a and fin s fish. Caught a lot of fish on a little george my last trip to the keys. Been there in March and it was windy. I really wanna go back sometime.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

Thanks guys, i actually have a buch of that stuff already! Im going down loaded with whatever i can fit! I was able to rent a 21' whaler for the week, so we can go all over hopefully if weather cooperates

8. Member
    Will you have a couch I can sleep on?? If not, I'll sleep in my car!!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Most people fishing the salt water use way too heavy stuff. I guess they think the are going to land a Marlin when fishing.
    My wife landed a 40lb Kingfish just out from seven mile bridge on a bass rod and an ambassador 6500. It did about spool her twice, but we didn’t chase it. The lighter the equipment the more bites you tend to get. You can land really big fish on bass tackle from a boat or kayak. We have landed 30lb permit, 43” redfish, 90 lb blacktips and more on bass tackle. Forget trying grouper on bass tackle though. You can catch about anything around seven mile bridge. We used stay at Knight Key Campground there before it was destroyed in the hurricane.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

https://www.youtube.com/c/EliasVFishing

This is a local to me kayak fisherman, he just did a trip to the keys. Take a look at the tackle he used and some of his strategies. It's a lot of bass size gear. Rinse everything after each trip. RINSE not pressure wash, you don't want to push any salt/sand deeper. Then let it air dry and a few squirts of Reel Magic or something similar and you'll be fine. Have fun!
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

Thanks everyone!

IMG_8853.jpg
    Daughter and I got into some delicious mangrove snapper yesterday! The one on top left is a 10 incher for size
    These suckers are extremely spooky and line shy. Had to go to 10# line and a #2 circle hook for em to even look at it.
    Used a live pinfish to hook a tarpon off the dock, probably 60 lbs or so, touched leader, then released her. I may be ruined for life now!!

13. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrs View Post
    IMG_8853.jpg
    Daughter and I got into some delicious mangrove snapper yesterday! The one on top left is a 10 incher for size
    These suckers are extremely spooky and line shy. Had to go to 10# line and a #2 circle hook for em to even look at it.
    Used a live pinfish to hook a tarpon off the dock, probably 60 lbs or so, touched leader, then released her. I may be ruined for life now!!
    Those mangrove are delicious. I was staying on Little Torch several years ago in a house that had the canal behind it. We would take pieces of shrimp with small hooks and floro to catch them. We had to make sure there was no hook showing or they wouldn't bite. Tarpon off the dock is amazing. I caught a 28# barracuda on a live pinfish while I was down there.

Its crazy fun, hooked and broke off another tarpon this morning! If i lived anywhere near here, the phoenix would be sold and i would have a small offshore catamaran