Bass Tracker 175 TXW Instrument Panel and Steering Wheel Restoration

I stepped off into the bass boating world a couple months ago. I bought a 2008 Bass Tracker 175 TXW. I’m in the process of getting it like I want it for spring. Currently, I’m wanting to some how paint my instrument panel. The sun has spotted it up pretty bad. Rust-Oleum didn’t want to stick and just ran down the panel when applied.

I’m seeking anyone’s opinion on how to get this back to a solid color. I’ve seen hydro dip as a possible option, but I’m not sure if the instruments actually detach from the plastic panel? Any help/guidance with this restoration is appreciated. It doesn’t have to be fancy. I just want a solid color, ha.

Also including a pic of my steering wheel. If anyone has cleaning ideas for it as well, I’d appreciate it.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    K&K kustoms

3. Member
    You need adhesion promoter and automotive "Trim" paint. Go to your local Body Shop supply store and buy a can of adhesion promoter and SEM Trim Paint in Black. It usually is stocked in flat black. Scrub you panel with a gray scotch brite and soap and water. After it completely dry wipe down with wax & grease remover then mask with green masking tape. Blow and tack for dirt before spraying the adhesion promoter. Usually paint 20 minutes after but read the can for top coat times. The Trim paint is UV stable and will last years.

BTW all materials can be found at the body shop supply. Also new tack rags can leave a residue so completely unfold then loosely fold back and allow to air dry inside overnight before using.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    You need adhesion promoter and automotive "Trim" paint. Go to your local Body Shop supply store and buy a can of adhesion promoter and SEM Trim Paint in Black. It usually is stocked in flat black. Scrub you panel with a gray scotch brite and soap and water. After it completely dry wipe down with wax & grease remover then mask with green masking tape. Blow and tack for dirt before spraying the adhesion promoter. Usually paint 20 minutes after but read the can for top coat times. The Trim paint is UV stable and will last years.

BTW all materials can be found at the body shop supply. Also new tack rags can leave a residue so completely unfold then loosely fold back and allow to air dry inside overnight before using.
    100% agree.....prep is THE key.....if you don't do it properly, sooner or later (probably sooner), you'll have issues.

5. Member
    It all has to be cleaned and prepped properly. Rustoleum makes a special paint for plastics, and the plastic primer to use before the actual top coat. If used as instructed it works great. I have personally used it for years.

6. Member
    Thanks so much, everyone. I’ll see if I can make this work. I appreciate the detail you provided. If you think of anything else, let me know.

7. Member
    Ck out the hydrographics. Board sponsor, kandkustomz.com

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    As far as the wheel cheap enough to just replace it , dash prepped well will be a good diy project just remember to mark all your wires when taking it off to work on it
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

9. Member

Shoutout to rojoguio!

Man, this turned out so good! Anyone looking to do this should follow his instructions. Take your time and do it right. I had amazing results. I cleaned my steering wheel really well and applied some light adhesion promotor, then trim paint lightly as well. It looks new! Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post

Attached Images Attached Images

........ rojoguio knows what he speaks and always willing to help. We are lucky on this board for all the great teachers.