Mega Live, Mega 360 screen flash

So, I seen many of Wayne's videos running mega live and 360 with no flash running across the screen. Then I watched John's post on Humminbird Tips and Tricks on FB and the same thing, no flash and no noise while running the trolling motor. He just easily pushed out to like 90 feet forward and the screen is still clear! Wayne, John, and Chris have the clearest and most detailed images on all their sonar! How do they do it?

I watched Chris's Bridge video today and same thing, clear (I don't know if Chris had mega 360 on too).

I turned noise rejection to high, tried the dynamic contrast, still getting the flash! What are they doing that I am not?

Describe your entire installation==all the parts and exactly how each are connected.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Bow: Solix 10 MSI+ g3n, Helix 10 MDI+ g3n (network and power only for mapping and mega live), ultrex link mdi, y-cable mega 360 for solix, Mega 360 ultrex, network cables to each unit, network dongle for helix. Sea clear power to new dedicated group 31 battery from Sam's club, separate charger I hook up when home. Mega live trolling motor mounted. Master switch for the harness. AMP cable management.

Console: Solix 12 MSI+ G3N with transom transducer, network hub, external heading sensor with GPS (adapter cable too I think for solix), sea clear.

Latest software. Console unit off when fishing.

Dealer added the sea clear recently, did not clean up anything or make a difference. I think Chirs and John both use fuse boxes, maybe that would be better???

Turn the ultrex left and right and I see noise on the 360 in side view mode. 3A fuse in ultrex replaced for troubleshooting, same. Press the prop and it is fine going straight just not as clear and detailed as you guys get. In 360 view & mega live, I see the flash like in John's video when he sets it to low rejection but I have it on high and see it. I just watched his mega live install tips video and he says to keep the cable away from the steering motor??? I will move the cable like he has it but I don't know where the steering motor is? Anything else I should try? Thank you!

That seems to be a good setup.
    Since networking and LIVE Interference Rejection is why we don't get the flashes, is your network fully functioning--sharing waypoints between SOLIX and Helix?

RFI from the trolling motor (either the steering motor or prop motor) is not cross-talk like the flashes are. The flashes are cross-talk (sonar pulses) from either the 360 or Imaging transducer or both. RFI will make the images washout (lighter). You can find out which by disconnecting the MEGA 360 or MDI transducer from the Y cable or turning off the MEGA 360 power. OR turning off Sonar in the Settings menu.

The steering motor is where the trolling motor shaft passes through the mount. Since you are getting RFI, the transducer cables should not be near the trolling motor power/steering cables like some do with them wrapped together. That is not an issue until it is. Cable management is one of the remedies for RFI.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Wayne, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You are the man!!!

Waypoints are sharing.

Looks like I HAD two issues: 1) the flash and 2) the wash out RFI you explained. The RFI washout only started after adding the mega live.

Here's what I did. I removed the cable clamps and the top clip where the cable was running over that steering motor. I held the mega live cable in my hand away from the motor and the washout RFI disappeared instantly when steering the ultrex. It cleared on down and 360 view modes. But, it also cleaned up the mega live noise a bit too. I used some tape and routed the cables away from the steering motor and it looks great now. Still had the mega live flash though.

I found the Mega Live Setting Reset in the menu and tried it. Figured, why not?? Well, nothing happened but mega live disappeared and the status showed Not Connected (I did not see this in the manual BTW). I was going to kill power but decided, NOPE, that's when things brick! After several minutes (I'm guessing about 10 minutes) live showed up. I noticed the mega 360 sweep slowed down on the Solix (I guess that's new??). I set the rejection to High and BOOM, the flash cleared up drastically! It is like it was stuck on Low before. I can't thank you enough for saving my sanity, lol!!! So, did waste my money getting that power harness?

Quote Originally Posted by BOWILLIAMS View Post

Waypoints are sharing.

Looks like I HAD two issues: 1) the flash and 2) the wash out RFI you explained. The RFI washout only started after adding the mega live.

Here's what I did. I removed the cable clamps and the top clip where the cable was running over that steering motor. I held the mega live cable in my hand away from the motor and the washout RFI disappeared instantly when steering the ultrex. It cleared on down and 360 view modes. But, it also cleaned up the mega live noise a bit too. I used some tape and routed the cables away from the steering motor and it looks great now. Still had the mega live flash though.

I found the Mega Live Setting Reset in the menu and tried it. Figured, why not?? Well, nothing happened but mega live disappeared and the status showed Not Connected (I did not see this in the manual BTW). I was going to kill power but decided, NOPE, that's when things brick! After several minutes (I'm guessing about 10 minutes) live showed up. I noticed the mega 360 sweep slowed down on the Solix (I guess that's new??). I set the rejection to High and BOOM, the flash cleared up drastically! It is like it was stuck on Low before. I can't thank you enough for saving my sanity, lol!!! So, did waste my money getting that power harness?
    No it was not a waste on the wiring addition except you could have done it a lot cheaper purchasing the parts yourself and installing it yourself. You have the proper installation for a modern sophisticated electronics setup.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    No it was not a waste on the wiring addition except you could have done it a lot cheaper purchasing the parts yourself and installing it yourself. You have the proper installation for a modern sophisticated electronics setup.
    That's good to know! The only difference I'm seeing is the voltage display on the Solix went from 12.8 dc to 12.9 dc when I first boot up after a full charge, Helix still shows 12.8 dc. They don't boot up faster or run quicker or more detail; I was expecting a big difference I guess. Prior, everything was direct to the battery with individual 10 gauge tin wire and fuse holders at the battery and master switch. Dealer said the harness "could" fix the interference.... that didn't happen. Maybe moving the fuses closer to the unit helps?

8. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    Maybe moving the fuses closer to the unit helps?
    no; fuses do not have any effect

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
    no; fuses do not have any effect
    Don't tell me that, lol! I paid extra having everything wired directly to the battery switch originally. Then more with this harness and removing the original wires. Are you sure? I kinda feel like the harness did nothing...

10. Member
    Hi Wayne P.,
    I just had Target Lock forward facing sonar added to my boat. I have a new SOLIX 15 for the Forward Facing Sonar (Target Lock). I have another SOLIX 15 for Charts / 360. The Chart / 360 SOLIC 15 is washed out after the install. I suspect the washing out may be this same issue... ??? Any Suggestions ???
    Thanks,
    Gary B.

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar

Waypoints are sharing.

I've noticed on my Apex units that both my chart speed and Mega 360 rotation speed both slow down when I have the Mega Live Interference Rejection set to 3/High.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers