Trim Tab Anode How-To - 2018 pro xs 225hp

Hey guys, tried to do a little searching prior to posting with no luck.

My trim tab anode came off (no idea how) my 2018 Pro XS 2 stroke lower unit (Torquemaster). I have never had this happen before and need a little help.

I ordered the part with help from Mercury and they said i can just screw the new one back in easy. Do i need to take the lower unit off to do this? It looks like there might have been threads or something that were stripped.. or is that just a hole the screw would drop down through? Picture attached.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Ranger Z119C - 2018 Mercury 225 Pro XS

2. Member
    It looks like you still have the bolt in place. You just need to screw the new one on. There should be a tab above it. Pop the tab off and choose the correct socket. As to why it came off, that is a good question. Maybe this time put some blue Loctite on the bolt but again, I can't imagine how that bolt could come loose. Have you recently had service done? Maybe they just forgot to put it back on and nobody noticed until now? It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    It looks like you still have the bolt in place. You just need to screw the new one on. There should be a tab above it. Pop the tab off and choose the correct socket. As to why it came off, that is a good question. Maybe this time put some blue Loctite on the bolt but again, I can't imagine how that bolt could come loose. Have you recently had service done? Maybe they just forgot to put it back on and nobody noticed until now? It happens.
    i did recently get a water pump installed. how would the bolt be in place but the anode is gone? i figured the bolt was supposed to go in that open hole. also.. why would i take the top tab off to get the anode in place? maybe im not understanding the terminology correctly.

thanks

Usually the anode bolt needs to be removed with a socket and extension through a hole from above after taking a plastic plug off to get access to the bolt that is showing from below. That bolt needs to be removed along with 4 nuts to remove the lower unit. I would remove the lower unit and see if the anode bolt is laying inside the area on top of the lower unit.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. Member
    The last thing I usually do is attach the anode after a water pump change. They liked got distracted for moment. Easy to do. Good news is that it is not weird problem and easy to replace. You are good. Don't be too hard on the shop either. We are all human.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Usually the anode bolt needs to be removed with a socket and extension through a hole from above after taking a plastic plug off to get access to the bolt that is showing from below. That bolt needs to be removed along with 4 nuts to remove the lower unit. I would remove the lower unit and see if the anode bolt is laying inside the area on top of the lower unit.
    It looks like from the picture the anode bolt is in place ready to go. Am i wrong Bob.

7. Member
    Looks to be like someone replaced the 10mm hex cap bolt with something different and left the anode and anode bolt off all together

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There's a BUNCH of info above that's not going to apply. I'll go back and clean those up shortly.

Your anode BOLT and your ANODE are BOTH GONE.

Should be a flat plate anode.

It can be installed without removing the gearcase. You'll need the anode and new bolt, though.

Place a phillips screwdrive up through the open hole (from the bottom).

Place new bolt with a 13mm 1/4" drive socket and 6" extension carefully onto the end of the phillips screwdriver. Use the screwdriver to walk the bolt down through the opening and into the correct location.

Now simply install the flat-plate anode properly, using a couple drops of RED liquid loctite on the threads of the anode/plate before installing it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Okay so i figured it out.. one of you got it right. there is a black plastic cap above where the anode sits. i popped it off and sure enough the old bolt was inside. problem is its STUCK. i tried everything with no luck. going to have to keep working at it. if anyone has tips on that let me know. in all honesty it looks like someone tried to jimmy it out as well with no success. dont think ill be using that shop again

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the bolt is down inside the housing, you will need to drop the gearcase and then properly install the bolt.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MagicCraw View Post
    Okay so i figured it out.. one of you got it right. there is a black plastic cap above where the anode sits. i popped it off and sure enough the old bolt was inside. problem is its STUCK. i tried everything with no luck. going to have to keep working at it. if anyone has tips on that let me know. in all honesty it looks like someone tried to jimmy it out as well with no success. dont think ill be using that shop again
    Glad you found the bolt. Would be a good time to learn to remove the lower unit and replace the impeller yourself.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

12. Member
    Did you ever end up getting that bolt out? Or did you have to drop your lower unit? My anode in that same spot is just missing, ordered a replacement and hoping my bolt isn't just kinda stuck in there.
    If we don't have issues with it, what will we have?-JM

2016 Triton 22trx
    250 Pro XS On Atlas HJ
    Quad Garmin EchoMap Ultra/UHD2
    Garmin Force
    Dual PP Blade 8'

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntrain23 View Post
    Did you ever end up getting that bolt out? Or did you have to drop your lower unit? My anode in that same spot is just missing, ordered a replacement and hoping my bolt isn't just kinda stuck in there.
    Yes it is easy to get out but you really dont need to. Just get the new anode and a socket wrench and simply tighten it.
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS

looks and sounds like the fastner is out of the hole for it and laying on its side, non magnetic so a magnet will not help. May be able to manipulate it back in place with thin screwdriver or picks.
    Last resort pull the lower as Don recomended
    I would also pull the hex bolt out, applie red locktite and reinstall, if that bolt come out you will lose the the lower unit and destroy the mid of not corrected in time
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    ^^^^^^^^ +1 make sure bolt under plate is there and tight
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntrain23 View Post
    makes sense, good to know. Seems odd that this anode falling off or just being missing is a common thing, or at least appears to be common lol
    If we don't have issues with it, what will we have?-JM

2016 Triton 22trx
    250 Pro XS On Atlas HJ
    Quad Garmin EchoMap Ultra/UHD2
    Garmin Force
    Dual PP Blade 8'

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What's more common is that it's not properly reinstalled after gearcase is removed.