Mega Live direction calibration

I have been reading the Mega Live manuals. I have not seen any information about alignment (calibration) in relation to the boats heading sensor. I would think it would be important for marking waypoints and giving validity to the boat icon's direction arrow for boat and mega transducer alignment. Am I overthinking this or have I missed an item in the documentation. Thanks Bob
    OR, Are the waypoints generated from a Mega screen accurate? AHRS is still pretty much a magic box to me. I have read some on it, but not sure how it relates to accuracy of waypoints on Mega.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 10-27-2021 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Maybe a less technical answer needed
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I wondered about this too. From what I read and YouTube watching, it will have to be a manual adjustment of the clamp on the Ultrex, or other, shaft.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Installing mine today but I have assumed it just uses the heading sensor calibration to know boat direction. It must have some sort of internal compass in order to know what direction it is pointed in relation to the boat heading. At least that is my assumption.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    AHRS has a magnetometer inside, but my question was about calibrating that with the reading on the boats heading sensor. It may not be all that big of a deal as I know some AHRS units have a 2 degree compass variance. That factored with a calibrated HS should calculate a pretty good heading number for the waypoint position. I just expected an adjustment in the FF's menus. Rich I am sure that would be the alignment spot. but its hard to get super close with a mechanical mounting. Bob

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Installed my Mega Live and Apex 19 today but, by the time I got finished, I only had a few minutes to get out on the water before dark. It definitely uses my AS GP HS to know the boat heading and the compass in the unit defines the direction the Mega Live is pointing. If you turn on the Boat Icon overlay on the Mega Live settings, it shows a graphic of the Mega Live direction in relation to the boat.

I read both the installation guide and operations guide again and didn't see anything about calibration. I talked to one of the guides on the lake and he said his Livescooe did have a calibration process.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 11-01-2021 at 09:05 AM.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Member
    Sounds like the waypoint accuracy will have to be tested out. I don't know if LS is capable of waypoints anyway. I do know both units need a heading sensor(which is calibrated) to use as a reference for the AHRS chip. I suspect it will be much the same as SI waypoints. Ballpark, using slant range. What is your LIVE mounted on?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Installed my Mega Live and Apex 19 today
    I expect a full report on that APEX 19! Likes, dislikes.
    We expect no least from a self admitted Solix Bigot.

Nice to hear you got both Live and Apex at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Sounds like the waypoint accuracy will have to be tested out. I don't know if LS is capable of waypoints anyway. I do know both units need a heading sensor(which is calibrated) to use as a reference for the AHRS chip. I suspect it will be much the same as SI waypoints. Ballpark, using slant range. What is your LIVE mounted on?

MEGA LIVE displays waypoints and you can create waypoints on the Landscape view. It's in the manual.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    I expect a full report on that APEX 19! Likes, dislikes.
    We expect no least from a self admitted Solix Bigot.

Nice to hear you got both Live and Apex at the same time!
    Have only been out about an hour with it but already took a few notes for a comparison. Big storm front moving through with 45 MPH wind gusts and heading home from lake house tomorrow. May be a week or two.

10. Member

11. Member
    Still thinking. Have done more reading. While the magnetometer is within 2 degrees of being correct it must still be calibrated for its environment. The procedure we do for the ASGPS(going in 2 circles) helps program in anomalies from Metal(magnetic interference) to allow for them. We must do the same for the sensor in The AHRS in the mega live transducer so the Solix can use the 2 headings to determine the exact direction the transducer is facing. The trolling motor is a huge magnetic interference which will skew the AHRS bearing. I was reading the Garmin LS manual. They said in a note: do not mount the transducer on the motor as it will keep the AHRS magnetometer from functioning.(they do have a calibration routine for the transducer) Not sure how much distance would be required from the motor to allow the AHRS compass to become usable. Yes I know they sell direct trolling motor mounts for LS! If you don't plan to mark waypoints it is not a big deal. I have put a question to HB. Will follow up with the answer. FWIW Bob
    Note:ASGPS HS is not calibrated like most electronic compasses of today. The confirmation of being the same as the vessel Course at 4.5 mph is how it's done. The MinnKota bt heading sensor is the usual circles which allows for electronic compensation.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 11-26-2021 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Clarification and correction for future searchs

12. Member
    Still thinking. Have done more reading. While the magnetometer is within 2 degrees of being correct it must still be calibrated for its environment. The procedure we do for the ASGPS(going in 2 circles) helps program in anomalies from Metal(magnetic interference) to allow for them. We must do the same for the sensor in The AHRS in the mega live transducer so the Solix can use the 2 headings to determine the exact direction the transducer is facing. The trolling motor is a huge magnetic interference which will skew the AHRS bearing. I was reading the Garmin LS manual. They said in a note: do not mount the transducer on the motor as it will keep the AHRS magnetometer from functioning.(they do have a calibration routine for the transducer) Not sure how much distance would be required from the motor to allow the AHRS compass to become usable. Yes I know they sell direct trolling motor mounts for LS! If you don't plan to mark waypoints it is not a big deal. I have put a question to HB. Will follow up with the answer. FWIW Bob
    Hey Bob, Did you get a response from HB about this? I have my ML mounted flush to ultrex motor at bottom of the shaft and my AS GPS HS mounted at the stern is spot on. The ML directional arrow lags significantly when turning the TM. Really don't want to lower the TM much more below the keel to compensate for raising the ML up the shaft...my M360 wet switch is only 4" below surface now. I have a 45" Ultrex. If this lag will impact the marking of waypoints in landscape, I may have to make the adjustment but since I have M360 I prolly won't use landscape mode much. Thanks, Gary

13. Member
    Unless you are going to have the ML on a pole you know your AHRS is consistant with your trolling motor. If you have ipilot or link you can align your ML with the bearing you get from them. Much like 360. Plus,if you are not using it for marking waypoints it does not matter. As for HB response, I have sent 2 more questions about it. Nada. I think it will be important to me for what I want to do, but I may be the only one who cares. Sometimes life is like that. Waypoints can be made other ways. SI is one I have used many times. I am not one that has 4 or more screens going at the same time(2). I want the capability from any view I have on the screen To mark a point I see on that screen. I scout while I troll and like to follow up on on interesting looking spots( and now, spots with fish on them). Bob

Unless you are going to have the ML on a pole you know your AHRS is consistant with your trolling motor. If you have ipilot or link you can align your ML with the bearing you get from them. Much like 360. Plus,if you are not using it for marking waypoints it does not matter. As for HB response, I have sent 2 more questions about it. Nada. I think it will be important to me for what I want to do, but I may be the only one who cares. Sometimes life is like that. Waypoints can be made other ways. SI is one I have used many times. I am not one that has 4 or more screens going at the same time(2). I want the capability from any view I have on the screen To mark a point I see on that screen. I scout while I troll and like to follow up on on interesting looking spots( and now, spots with fish on them). Bob
    MARKING a waypoint with MEGA LIVE can be done in any of the three attitudes (Forward/Down/Landscape)= states that in the manual. No different than marking a waypoint in the 2D view, DI view, SI view, or 360 view.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Thanks Bob, guess I need to move on to bigger fish to fry...it is kinda a moot point since I have it mounted on the TM..guess the old school "like things to work as described" over took my common sense

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    MARKING a waypoint with MEGA LIVE can be done in any of the three attitudes (Forward/Down/Landscape)= states that in the manual. No different than marking a waypoint in the 2D view, DI view, SI view, or 360 view.
    Understood Wayne my concern is the accuracy. With the transducer not necessarily in line with the heading sensor, The ML AHRS system will have to give its bearing to the fish finder so it knows the direction of the waypoint relative to the HS bearing to determine the coordinates. The magnetometer inside the AHRS needs to be calibrated so the calculation is meaningful. As I stated before Garmin LS has such a calibration routine and my inquiry pertained to the Humminbird ML routine. Bob

17. Member
    Any updates on calibrating ML direction? Mine is horribly off. I've recalibrates my trolling motor to my external gps and it's still off.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville