punching in iowa

Is the grass worth punching here in Iowa talking about natural lakes like green valley etc

2. Member
    I try to go with the thinking that a bass is a bass. There’s probably not a lot of good information about punching on lakes here in Iowa. Maybe check out some videos from the Minnesota boys. Lots of natural lakes up there with vegetation. In my part of the state there’s not a lot of emergent matted vegetation to punch, even on the Mississippi. I have caught plenty of fish with a heavy weight and a punch rig on weed lines that are below the surface.

If you're talking about Green Valley in the SW part of the state, its not a natural lake. It is man made. However, I am sure you could catch them punching there, although I have never tried it on that lake.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

4. Banned
    Yes, yes it is. Very few people punch grass in the SW portion of the state. Granted that's probably because so few lakes have good grass and are loaded with deep structure. I've won club tournaments punching grass and pads while everyone else is fishing the deep structure. The key is finding the stretches of good grass that are holding fish. You might find one or two here and there but there will always be that 20-50yd stretch that is loaded. Once you develop a knack for finding bass in the grass, you'll know after 1 or 2 bites if the area you're in is special or not

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    Yes, yes it is. Very few people punch grass in the SW portion of the state. Granted that's probably because so few lakes have good grass and are loaded with deep structure. I've won club tournaments punching grass and pads while everyone else is fishing the deep structure. The key is finding the stretches of good grass that are holding fish. You might find one or two here and there but there will always be that 20-50yd stretch that is loaded. Once you develop a knack for finding bass in the grass, you'll know after 1 or 2 bites if the area you're in is special or not

I fish the SW part of the state often along with Nebraska as I live in Omaha. What do you look for in good grass to punch? Im not good at determining what’s good or bad. Is the main thing if the grass has depth under it and is relatively hollow? What type of grass do you look for?

Quote Originally Posted by NEbass97 View Post
    I fish the SW part of the state often along with Nebraska as I live in Omaha. What do you look for in good grass to punch? Im not good at determining what’s good or bad. Is the main thing if the grass has depth under it and is relatively hollow? What type of grass do you look for?
    For the most part, the depth underneath the grass is what you are looking for. But make no mistake about it, there are plenty of other factors that matter as well. The depth can be miniscule and varies from lake to lake. For example, Walnut Creek in Omaha can have fish holding under mats with just a foot of water over them. The I have been to other lakes it seemed like the fish wanted more depth.

Another important thing is the type of grass. Again, there's no hard answer here but overall, I have never caught them trying to punch that stringy grass. I have no idea what it is called but it is then and easy to break. For the most part, that is about the only grass I've ever seen form a mat on GV.

I hope it works out for you, though. Punching is one of my favorite techniques because it feels like its such a hand-to-hand kind of deal. Something about setting the hook and hearing that braid sing just gets me all hot and bothered.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post
    For the most part, the depth underneath the grass is what you are looking for. But make no mistake about it, there are plenty of other factors that matter as well. The depth can be miniscule and varies from lake to lake. For example, Walnut Creek in Omaha can have fish holding under mats with just a foot of water over them. The I have been to other lakes it seemed like the fish wanted more depth.

Another important thing is the type of grass. Again, there's no hard answer here but overall, I have never caught them trying to punch that stringy grass. I have no idea what it is called but it is then and easy to break. For the most part, that is about the only grass I've ever seen form a mat on GV.

I hope it works out for you, though. Punching is one of my favorite techniques because it feels like its such a hand-to-hand kind of deal. Something about setting the hook and hearing that braid sing just gets me all hot and bothered.

thanks Steve! Hope all is well in IL!

8. Banned
    Steve pretty well hit the nail on the head. I like grass that is open underneath or is sparse enough that there are holes in the grass. Depth is really important as is the contours around the grass. Probably the most important aspect witg pu ching grass, is the color. Is it green grass or is it brown and dying? The only exception to the rule is cattails/reeds. When the water is up at Carter lake, go to the reeds and punch the reeds. You'll be surprised what can live in 6" of water there when the water is high.

If you want a visual of how I punch, go look up Andrew Flair's youtube channel and search punching for bass in Nebraska. We got on a pattern punching the reeds and blasted them. Fyi.... he edited the first 3hrs of the day out where I was kicking his ass from the back of the boat

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    Steve pretty well hit the nail on the head. I like grass that is open underneath or is sparse enough that there are holes in the grass. Depth is really important as is the contours around the grass. Probably the most important aspect witg pu ching grass, is the color. Is it green grass or is it brown and dying? The only exception to the rule is cattails/reeds. When the water is up at Carter lake, go to the reeds and punch the reeds. You'll be surprised what can live in 6" of water there when the water is high.

If you want a visual of how I punch, go look up Andrew Flair's youtube channel and search punching for bass in Nebraska. We got on a pattern punching the reeds and blasted them. Fyi.... he edited the first 3hrs of the day out where I was kicking his ass from the back of the boat
    lol that’s awesome. I punch reeds up on the MO river on the SD border all the time and do well, but haven’t had near the luck around here. Will have to try more!